• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Could you explain please?
Yes: good point!

The Three Legends Football phone in was a show on Century Radio in the North East which started in 2000. It featured 3 ex footballers ( one from each of the "big three" north east clubs) Malcom McDonald, Bernie Slaven and Eric Gates. It ran in various guises and across various stations until ( I think) about 2016. It was on from 6-8 every week night and got massive audiences at various points.

It was hilariously biased, deluded and mental. it was just insane ramblings from the most biased and one eyed fans imaginable. It wasn't nuanced football chat!

( Gates was replaced by Mickey Horswill & then Richard Ord after some unfortunate comments about something or other)

EDIT - I THINK there was a north west version for a time as well.

75A

Established Member
Yes: good point!

The Three Legends Football phone in was a show on Century Radio in the North East which started in 2000. It featured 3 ex footballers ( one from each of the "big three" north east clubs) Malcom McDonald, Bernie Slaven and Eric Gates. It ran in various guises and across various stations until ( I think) about 2016. It was on from 6-8 every week night and got massive audiences at various points.

It was hilariously biased, deluded and mental. it was just insane ramblings from the most biased and one eyed fans imaginable. It wasn't nuanced football chat!

( Gates was replaced by Mickey Horswill & then Richard Ord after some unfortunate comments about something or other)

EDIT - I THINK there was a north west version for a time as well.
Thanks, I guessed that 'Supermac' was probably one.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Regarding "legends" of Newcastle Utd, I am surprised that Kevin Keegan has not featured on the regional radio show in the North East.

After all, he did win the top flight division back in 1993 or 94. Or was supposed to, similar as how Scotland were going to win the World Cup back in 1978 (until Peru and Iran put a spanner in the works).

Darandio

Established Member
Regarding "legends" of Newcastle Utd, I am surprised that Kevin Keegan has not featured on the regional radio show in the North East.

After all, he did win the top flight division back in 1993 or 94. Or was supposed to, similar as how Scotland were going to win the World Cup back in 1978 (until Peru and Iran put a spanner in the works).

Well you aren't far off. He did win Division One in 1993......

SteveM70

Established Member
If he'd kicked an opponent, he'd be suspended for three games.

But as its West Ham, a club with no morals whatsoever, he played last night, and doubtless the multi-millionaire will be fined a few quid

Last edited by a moderator:

Spartacus

Established Member
Since he has been fined two weeks salary, the "few quid" that you mention would suggest the player is on a very low salary at the club.

The thing is when he's got income rolling in at the rate it does, unless you've got some serious, and probably illegal outgoings and debts, that level of fine's pretty irrelevant. As it is he's likely to be losing more through sponsors dropping out, but I think dropping him down to the U23s for a month, or until there's progress in the police investigation, might have sent a better message. They probably wanted to just get on with things, but not dropping him will ironically probably lead to greater repercussions than if they had dropped him, and West Ham should have known this wouldn't settle down. This wasn't just a case of relatively unsubstantiated rumours, the evidence is clear and unambiguous, and given the circumstances his 'apology' seems as empty as his head.

SteveM70

Established Member
Since he has been fined two weeks salary, the "few quid" that you mention would suggest the player is on a very low salary at the club.

Relative to his earnings, it’s peanuts. The PFA have an agreement with clubs whereby the most they can fine players is two weeks wages. Given he’ll have been on daft money for years now, do you think he’d even notice?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Relative to his earnings, it’s peanuts. The PFA have an agreement with clubs whereby the most they can fine players is two weeks wages. Given he’ll have been on daft money for years now, do you think he’d even notice?
The point that I sought to make was the assumption made by the website member that the club would only fine the player "a few quid" (to use his phraseology) was something in need of clarification.

Carlisle

Established Member
, the evidence is clear and unambiguous, and given the circumstances his 'apology' seems as empty as his head.
Indeed, & I’ve always liked Moyes as a manager but he’s not doing his reputation any favours continually defending this idiot ..

Last edited:

HST274

If I'm honest, while the fine, only two weeks pay, is absolutely warranted (and maybe not enough), this is a matter which has been dealt with two harshly, mainly in comparison to other crimes. The video is horrific, (I have a dog whom I would not want to see harmed in ANY way) but I believe likely borne of stupidity rather than sadism. The hypocrisy of adidas dropping him, whilst also sponsoring a World Cup in Qatar is ridiculous. And sponsors dropping West ham as a club is also uncalled for as they are not at fault, but the individual. People bringing race into it are going too far- this isn't racism but I do believe companies are trying to better their name by reacting spontaneously. I also understand where people are coming from in defending him (which I don't want to do)- Suarez racially abused someone and was fined £50,000; Alonso killed someone whilst driving and was fined £60,000. Kurt kicked a cat and was fined £250,000. The problem is the former two was not punished severely enough but I can understand why people are shocked by the difference. Personally, I think he should have been fined £250,000+, dropped for one game as a statement by West Ham, given lessons by the RSPCA (which is happening) and also be encouraged to give a public apology. Being dropped by sponsors is a little too far, especially when they sponsor thousands of migrant workers dying in a country which has laws in place to execute LGBTQ+ people. His brother should also be punished, in the same fashion with a smaller fine. I would also add that if they discovered this was common then the punishment should be increased. Rant over. :)

REVUpminster

The BBC News channel programme Open Source had a feature on the cat incident. France would send him to prison for four years; South America couldn't understand what all the fuss was about.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
If I'm honest, while the fine, only two weeks pay, is absolutely warranted (and maybe not enough), this is a matter which has been dealt with two harshly, mainly in comparison to other crimes. The video is horrific, (I have a dog whom I would not want to see harmed in ANY way) but I believe likely borne of stupidity rather than sadism. The hypocrisy of adidas dropping him, whilst also sponsoring a World Cup in Qatar is ridiculous. And sponsors dropping West ham as a club is also uncalled for as they are not at fault, but the individual. People bringing race into it are going too far- this isn't racism but I do believe companies are trying to better their name by reacting spontaneously. I also understand where people are coming from in defending him (which I don't want to do)- Suarez racially abused someone and was fined £50,000; Alonso killed someone whilst driving and was fined £60,000. Kurt kicked a cat and was fined £250,000. The problem is the former two was not punished severely enough but I can understand why people are shocked by the difference. Personally, I think he should have been fined £250,000+, dropped for one game as a statement by West Ham, given lessons by the RSPCA (which is happening) and also be encouraged to give a public apology. Being dropped by sponsors is a little too far, especially when they sponsor thousands of migrant workers dying in a country which has laws in place to execute LGBTQ+ people. His brother should also be punished, in the same fashion with a smaller fine. I would also add that if they discovered this was common then the punishment should be increased. Rant over. :)

Regarding the bit in bold, I remember the former Kidderminster Harriers and West Bromwich Albion player Lee Hughes being sent to jail (I think it was Featherstone just north of Wolverhampton) when he caused a fatality due to drink driving, and having failed to report the accident.

Apart from attempting a professional comeback with a Lancashire club and having played for the prison team, that was as good as the end of Hughes's footballing career.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Apart from attempting a professional comeback with a Lancashire club and having played for the prison team, that was as good as the end of Hughes's footballing career.
He did make over 125 appearances (59 goals) whilst with Notts County (including the Magpies being League Two champions in 2009-10), and a decade later, Hughes, now 45, is still playing at senior Non League level, currently with Stourport Swifts in the Midland League Premier.

Not that any of this, in any way, condones what happened in November 2003.

gnolife

Established Member
And sponsors dropping West ham as a club is also uncalled for as they are not at fault, but the individual
I'd argue that sponsors are dropping the club due to Moyes's response as the main representative from the club

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Pitching In Northern Premier League - Premier Division

Hyde United 2 ... Warrington Town 1

A coincidence or not that a few days after sacking Jim Gannon as manager, Hyde beat 4th placed Warrington Town for their first league win for quite some time.

EastisECML

He did make over 125 appearances (59 goals) whilst with Notts County (including the Magpies being League Two champions in 2009-10), and a decade later, Hughes, now 45, is still playing at senior Non League level, currently with Stourport Swifts in the Midland League Premier.

Not that any of this, in any way, condones what happened in November 2003.
Didn't he score the first/one of the first goals at Juve's new stadium? And I'm sure Plymouth employed a goalkeeper who was responsible for killing someone whilst drink driving.

Speaking of cruelty to animals, I think the response to this snake was a bit brutal https://mobile.twitter.com/FredyHSoy502/status/1492996891868598276

I remember a few years back a video from match in Argentina where a frustrated player literally threw a dog off the pitch into a fence.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Hughes played for Oldham, Port Vale and Notts County after release from prison before playing in the non league.

High Dyke

Established Member
Pitching In Northern Premier League - Premier Division

Grantham Town 4 - Ashton United 3

A remarkable way to record your first home win for about two years. The Gingerbreads trailing 3-1 with five minutes of normal time left, and manage to score three goals to be victorious.

Cletus

Established Member

Loppylugs

I've watched football for donkey's years and always thought a corner was to be taken inside the "D". Now I see the ball barely touches the white of the "D". Surely these now amount to free kicks and not corners ?

Darandio

Established Member
I've watched football for donkey's years and always thought a corner was to be taken inside the "D". Now I see the ball barely touches the white of the "D". Surely these now amount to free kicks and not corners ?

Just needs to be barely touching the line.

birchesgreen

Established Member
It needs to touch the D, but as with throw-ins enforcement of this is patchy.