• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I've watched football for donkey's years and always thought a corner was to be taken inside the "D". Now I see the ball barely touches the white of the "D". Surely these now amount to free kicks and not corners ?

Just needs to be barely touching the line.

It needs to touch the D, but as with throw-ins enforcement of this is patchy.

Not even that. Part of the ball just needs to be overhanging (or breaking the plane of the arc) part of the corner area line. That's sufficient.

Can't remove the corner flag though!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
Not even that. Part of the ball just needs to be overhanging (or breaking the plane of the arc) part of the corner area line. That's sufficient.

Can't remove the corner flag though!
Has it always been that way or has the law changed, i thought it has to touch the D.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Has it always been that way or has the law changed, i thought it has to touch the D.
Don't think Law 17 has changed for several years. As ever, it's a question of interpretation by match officials, and needs to be interpreted together with Law 9 which states that the ball is only out of play where it has wholly passed over the goal line or touchline, and thus is still in play if it hasn't, and the principle in Law 1 that the edge of a line forms part of the area that it bounds.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Gloucester v Darlington: 2-2. Fair result. two average sides.

Left home 0830. Back home 22:09. Should have driven. I must be mad.

Last edited:

roversfan2001

Established Member
Shambolic decision from the referee to postpone our game 45 minutes before kick off this afternoon. I suppose it meant he only made one bad decision, probably the best afternoon of his career.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Shambolic decision from the referee to postpone our game 45 minutes before kick off this afternoon.
Was that the Blackburn Rovers v Millwall match?

Similar late call at the Crewe Alexandra v Portsmouth fixture today.

Not exactly the shortest of away days for any travelling Millwall supporters (or Portsmouth for that matter - I believe some 1600 were on their way to Gresty Road), even on a more "normal" weekend.

And now they'll probably have to do it all again on a Tuesday night!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Pitching In Northern Premier League - Premier Division

Hyde United 2 ... Warrington Town 1

A coincidence or not that a few days after sacking Jim Gannon as manager, Hyde beat 4th placed Warrington Town for their first league win for quite some time.
Under interim manager Martin Coyne, a new spirit has entered the playing squad and in the next league match after the one above, a difficult one away against Morpeth Town, Hyde came away with a creditable 2-2 draw yesterday, with Tom Pratt scoring the Hyde equalizer right at the end.

Loppylugs

Wish AFC Wimbledon's game at Bolton had been postponed. A 4-0 stuffing means seven draws and seven defeats in the last fourteen matches. League two here we come !

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Was that the Blackburn Rovers v Millwall match?

Not exactly the shortest of away days for any travelling Millwall supporters (or Portsmouth for that matter - I believe some 1600 were on their way to Gresty Road), even on a more "normal" weekend.

The Millwall fans can count themselves lucky… on 606 tonight there was a story of a guy who flew in from Chile specifically to see Brereton Diaz….

EastisECML

It's 2022 and Fylde didn't meet the target printed on their shirts. Still great progress from the former Kirkham & Wesham though.

Good night for all the North East clubs in the National League North. Blyth win 3-2 at Southport (3rd win at Haig Avenue in our last four visits), Spennymoor win 2-0 at Chester and Gateshead win 3-1 at home to Farsley to ensure if Brackley win their games in hand they'll stay top on goal difference.

SteveM70

Established Member
Moneybags Fylde 1 v Darlo 2! We never get anything against this coined up club. Get in.

Horrible club. Glad your lot turned them over.

Meanwhile Halifax were away at Notts County, played an hour with ten men and the last 20 with only two recognised defenders on the pitch, and got a 1-1 draw. The natives were restless

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Christian Eriksen made his return to the game for Brentford today, after his cardiac arrest in the Euros. Sadly Brentford unable to avoid defeat at Newcastle.

Welcome back, Chris.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Crucial win for us today earlier on, along with most other results going our way in the 3pm games. Still a long way to go yet though.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Crucial win for us today earlier on, along with most other results going our way in the 3pm games. Still a long way to go yet though.
The Championship run-in is gonna be a white-knuckle ride this season for sure. We were in second place in the "live" league table for a few minutes today, albeit having played up to 4 games more than some of the teams around us. Still think promotion is a long shot, though the top six is now in our hands even if the chasing pack win their games in hand.

Darandio

Established Member
As posted in the Russia Invasion thread, apparently Roman Abramovich has handed stewardship of Chelsea to the Chelsea Foundation.

SteveM70

Established Member
As posted in the Russia Invasion thread, apparently Roman Abramovich has handed stewardship of Chelsea to the Chelsea Foundation.

Which means very, very little. Not ownership. Certainly not the funding. What, legally, is stewardship?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Which means very, very little. Not ownership. Certainly not the funding. What, legally, is stewardship?
I suspect it means:
  • This might invasion lark might be bad PR for the owner so he best not be seen about for a while
  • There may be a short term "liquidity" crisis for the owner
  • The owner may not easily be able to attend matches and if he does people might say bad things about him
  • The owner might not be easily able to control the club if communications are sanctioned.
  • The owner may find himself persona non grata in the UK
  • The owner might find it more convenient to be somewhere inconspicuous in case his mate Vlad gets uppity ( don't want a balcony accident after all)
It means nothing legally. Just a way to get old Roman out of the spotlight ( there were statements made about him under parliamentary privilege)

Last edited:

Acey

Got into a spot of bother at the Valley last week.police caught me climbing over the fence at half time-sods made me go back in :s

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Did Chelsea have a transfer embargo put on them a few years ago due to some financial irregularity or something?

Perhaps Abramovich has done this course of action with that in mind should the FA/UEFA decide to place another transfer embargo on them again?

Iskra

Established Member
Not surprising that Bielsa and Leeds United have parted company, as the last few games saw Leeds United ship far too many goals when every point counts at the current moment in time.
It’s hardly surprising against Liverpool, Man Utd and Spurs. We also had 7 winnable fixtures ahead, so is totally bizarre timing. Sacking Bielsa is not going to change the team overnight and merely (in my opinion) condemns us to relegation whereas we had a chance of staying up with him.

I’m absolutely fuming, as it is no way to treat a club legend and someone who has transformed Leeds Utd.

I now have no faith or confidence in the leadership at Elland Road. And it’s season ticket renewal time to add to the malaise we now find ourselves in…

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
As posted in the "Russia invades Ukraine" thread, the Czech Republic and Sweden have joined Poland in refusing to play Russia in the World Cup.

When (and if) the Russia - Ukraine conflict is resolved, I would like to see national sides refusing to play Israel and Saudi Arabia, due to the former occupying territory and the latter for the ongoing conflict in Yemen (which hardly ever gets mentioned - caused by the UK selling arms to Saudi Arabian Government).

Loppylugs

Ha ha. The wet whimps of FIFA are allowing the Ruskies to play under a different flag/name in the World Cup and ordered them to play in neutral territory.

Might as well hand them the trophy now. Nobody wants to play them and who the hell wants to host them?

Cletus

Established Member
11-10 on Penalties what a sensational League Cup Win for Liverpool :E:E
Isn't it great when you watch a penalty shoot out as a complete neutral?

Watching Chelsea's sub keeper's antics, then his Waddle-esque penalty to lose was so funny :D

REVUpminster

Ha ha. The wet whimps of FIFA are allowing the Ruskies to play under a different flag/name in the World Cup and ordered them to play in neutral territory.

Might as well hand them the trophy now. Nobody wants to play them and who the hell wants to host them?
Perhaps Putin whispered one word in their ear; Salisbury. Concentrates the mind.