• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Celtic emulate Liverpool in the Sunday match, by beating Dundee United 9-0. However, this was an away win.

Fortunately for Dundee United, this result was not as bad as their heaviest-ever league defeat, which was a 12-1 loss to Motherwell on 23rd January 1954.

Last edited:

What's the French equivalent to the chant:

8-7 we're gonna win 8-7
We're gonna win 8-7.........
I did hear of a game where a team were 5-0 up after 35 odd minutes. The other team brought it back up to 5-5 only for the team that was 5-0 up to win 7-5. This was a while ago now

THC

I did hear of a game where a team were 5-0 up after 35 odd minutes. The other team brought it back up to 5-5 only for the team that was 5-0 up to win 7-5. This was a while ago now
Charlton Athletic 7-6 Huddersfield Town

Charlton Athletic F.C. 7–6 Huddersfield Town A.F.C. was an association football match between Football League Second Division teams Charlton Athletic and Huddersfield Town that took place on 21 December 1957 at Charlton Athletic's home ground, The Valley. Charlton played most of the match with 10 men after their captain Derek Ufton was injured, and Huddersfield were leading 5–1 with just 27 minutes remaining. At that point, Johnny Summers began an extraordinary passage of play in which he scored four goals (he had already scored one early in the second half) and assisted with two others to allow Charlton to win 7–6. Huddersfield become the first, and still the only, team to score six goals in a professional football match in England and still be on the losing side. A reporter at the time described the match as "amazing, incredible, fantastic". (Wikipedia)

THC

Charlton Athletic 7-6 Huddersfield Town

Charlton Athletic F.C. 7–6 Huddersfield Town A.F.C. was an association football match between Football League Second Division teams Charlton Athletic and Huddersfield Town that took place on 21 December 1957 at Charlton Athletic's home ground, The Valley. Charlton played most of the match with 10 men after their captain Derek Ufton was injured, and Huddersfield were leading 5–1 with just 27 minutes remaining. At that point, Johnny Summers began an extraordinary passage of play in which he scored four goals (he had already scored one early in the second half) and assisted with two others to allow Charlton to win 7–6. Huddersfield become the first, and still the only, team to score six goals in a professional football match in England and still be on the losing side. A reporter at the time described the match as "amazing, incredible, fantastic". (Wikipedia)

THC
That one is a classic. I have a feeling the game I was talking about was in the Cambodian 3rd division or something. I got sent a link which I can't find anymore

GS250

Wealdstone go top of the National League with a gritty win at Gateshead. Played most of the second half with ten men too.

Don't expect we'll be anywhere near the top of the table by the time the fat lady sings...but have to enjoy the moment.

youngiecj

Weekend results

Scarborough 1 Boston 1
Boston 1 Kettering 1

Still bottom of the league, some of the worst football I've ever seen. 2 unbeaten :D:D

Jimini

Established Member
Scott Parker sacked (source: Sky Sports):

Bournemouth have sacked manager Scott Parker after just four games of the Premier League season.

Parker left Fulham and took charge of Bournemouth 14 months ago, guiding them to promotion to the Premier League behind his former club last season.

Shame really; I was quite enjoying watching him ruin Bournemouth with his Parkerball type tactics!

This from the chairman is pretty brutal, but IMO appropriate given Parker's comments after the 9-0 loss at the weekend:

“However, in order for us to keep progressing as a team and a Club as a whole, it is unconditional that we are aligned in our strategy to run the club sustainably. We must also show belief in and respect for one another. That is the approach that has brought this club so much success in recent history, and one that we will not veer from now. Our search for a new head coach will begin immediately.”

Shame really; I was quite enjoying watching him ruin Bournemouth with his Parkerball type tactics!

This from the chairman is pretty brutal, but IMO appropriate given Parker's comments after the 9-0 loss at the weekend:
I like Bournemouth and would like to see them somehow stay up. Who will go there?

kristiang85

Established Member

It does seem quite harsh given he's got 3 points from games against Villa, Arsenal, City and Liverpool, but it does seem there is a lot of disconnect between him and the board.

Dyche would be good replacement I'd say, although not sure if they see him as playing their 'type' of football (which I always find stupid, as surely the best type of football is the style that saves you from relegation).

tigerroar

On Moderation
Weekend results

Scarborough 1 Boston 1
Boston 1 Kettering 1

Still bottom of the league, some of the worst football I've ever seen. 2 unbeaten :D:D

Lots of teams predicted to finish high up, including Boston. The promoted teams predicted to finish low down. It's not happening that way is it!

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Don't worry, Bradford are in free fall and you will soon be above us as the following depressing stats show

Games since last win: 13
Goals scored in those 13 games: 6
Goals conceded in those 13 games: 20
Points in those 13 games: 5
No of games since last home goal: 7
Time since last home goal: 12 hrs 39 mins
Games since last home win: 10

The defence has improved with only 6 goals conceded since the summer break but if you can't score you stand no chance

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Spennymoor smallTown 1 v Darlo 1

poor game. Kicked of at the end with a handbags and unpleasentmess after a Darlo player was booted by a Spennymoor coach. both managers sent off.

Darlo 1 v Farsley Celtic 0
Poor game. Deflected goal. 3 points.

Did you play twice in 3 days?
Yes - we often do ( dont know they are born those premier league players)
Yeah Saturday and Monday.
Darlo on Saturday ;)

youngiecj

Spennymoor smallTown 1 v Darlo 1

poor game. Kicked of at the end with a handbags and unpleasentmess after a Darlo player was booted by a Spennymoor coach. both managers sent off.

Darlo 1 v Farsley Celtic 0
Poor game. Deflected goal. 3 points.

Yes - we often do ( dont know they are born those premier league players)

Darlo on Saturday ;)
Spennymoor really are a horrible club aren’t they.

Yeah expect 3 points from us!

THC

Lots of teams predicted to finish high up, including Boston. The promoted teams predicted to finish low down. It's not happening that way is it!
Are you the same tigerroar that posts on the Conference Forum? Very entertaining if so (I've been lurking on there for years). The crossover between non-League football fandom and railway enthusiasm (for want of a better descriptor) always makes me smile. :E

THC

THC

Celtic 4-0 Rangers

The pendulum swings to Postecoglu with a comfortable result in today's derby. It could have been 8-0 or 4-2, such are the vagaries of football, but plus four shows the gap quite accurately. Ange is probably the best leader since O'Neill and the best coach since I don't know when. Real Madrid on Tuesday and hope of a result. Quite giddy at the prospect. :E

THC

Iskra

Established Member
Leeds were away today (let’s not talk about that), and with little chance of a ticket, I decided to visit Stocksbridge V Atherton in the FA cup.

It was an enjoyable and competitive game, with Atherton taking the lead against the run of play after Stocksbridge had squandered a number of opportunities. Nevertheless the hosts were able to claw it back and eventually gain a late lead.
The relaxed atmosphere, cheapness and ability to enjoy a nice pint while watching the game were refreshing.

The views from the Jamie Vardy stand:

38F77156-BA66-4EE3-BB4D-687B0F3E432A.jpeg

baz962

Established Member
Weekend results

Scarborough 1 Boston 1
Boston 1 Kettering 1

Did Boston play twice on the weekend or am I reading this wrong.