• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

We (Fulham) couldn't beat Manchester City even though they played 70 odd minutes with only ten players.

Silly, naive penalty to give away in injury time to allow them to claim the victory though, it has to be said.

As the old adage goes, it's the hope that kills you... :s
Well... It is Manchester City. You did make it hard for them though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

youngiecj

Peterborough Sports 1 Boston 1. Missed a 89th minute penalty but a point a fair result. Kidderminster on Tuesday now.

This week Fantasy Football poked fun "in-game" commentary added by TV editing departments, after the match, to hint at might be about to happen.

I'm glad this isnt just me, and I'm certain knowledgable fans have been aware of this for years now. Match Of The Day's spoilers have also ruined the programme for me, to the point that I no longer watch it and resort to online video sites for highlights.

As soon as a 20 second clip of, for example, Jota coming on as a sub for Liverpool you know that he's either going to score or receive a straight red card. Or they might show Harry Maguire being booked then you know he's either getting his marching orders for a second yellow later in the game or he's going to get the benefit of the doubt by escaping without punishment when everybody in the stadium, and watching at home, knows he should be sent off for two yellows.

You spend all evening avoiding the results only to have MOTD telegraph the big moments.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
A result just coming to us on the vidiprinter bzbzbzbzbbzbzbzbzbzbz Darlington 3 v Alfreton 1

Darlington: TOP OF THE LEAGUE!

In the last week we have beaten Telford away 4-1 ( we never get anything there) Kidderminster away 2-1 ( i have NEVER seen us get as much as point there. We always get humped) and tonight we beat Alfreton 3-1 ( they are a nasty set of barstewards and we get nothing off them) with only the 16 minutes of injury time after a floodlight failure

The matrix is broken!

SteveM70

Established Member
Solihull Moors (unbeaten at home in 19 games) 0, FC Halifax Town (proper Jekyll and Hyde team) 1

Football eh?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Northern Premier League...Premier Division

South Shields 0 ... Hyde United 1

After being on TV in their 1st round FA Cup match at the weekend, South Shields still managed to bring in an attendance of 1,735 for a mid-week match against top of the table Hyde United. As is normally the case between these two clubs, it was a hard-fought affair and goal-less at half time. Hyde took the lead in the 77th minute and held on for the win.

Hyde are now three points clear at the top of the table with a game in hand of their nearest rivals.

High Dyke

Established Member
Northern Premier League East.

Grantham Town 0 - 3 Grimsby Borough

Another lacklustre performance from the Gingerbreads, in front of a decent Tuesday night crowd. Didn't have a shot on goal until the second half.

Norm_D_Ploom

A result just coming to us on the vidiprinter bzbzbzbzbbzbzbzbzbzbz Darlington 3 v Alfreton 1

Darlington: TOP OF THE LEAGUE!

In the last week we have beaten Telford away 4-1 ( we never get anything there) Kidderminster away 2-1 ( i have NEVER seen us get as much as point there. We always get humped) and tonight we beat Alfreton 3-1 ( they are a nasty set of barstewards and we get nothing off them) with only the 16 minutes of injury time after a floodlight failure

The matrix is broken!
The elephant in the room is what happens with the ground should they be in a position to get promoted.

AIUI DRUFC don't want anymore development at BM and there's currently no agreement with DMP.

Are Spenny or Bish graded A standard?

Although I half feel that the statement about the Arena was a negotiation tactic ?

Solihull Moors (unbeaten at home in 19 games) 0, FC Halifax Town (proper Jekyll and Hyde team) 1

Football eh?
I like what I have seen of Cooke, looks to me like he can play higher than The Shay. Same with Spence although he is further down the road.

SteveM70

Established Member
I like what I have seen of Cooke, looks to me like he can play higher than The Shay. Same with Spence although he is further down the road.

Spence is a really good player, we were lucky he didn’t join last summer’s exodus, and it totally wouldn’t surprise me if Pete Wild came in for him in January, particularly if Barrow are still in the promotion running

Howardh

Established Member
Northwich v Bury AFC tonight. Now I'm not sure which of the two Northwich's it is, but it's the ones playing at Witton Albion's ground.

Name any other small town (around 50,000) which has four clubs of level 10 standing or higher inside it?! Five if you include Winsford on the doorstep virtually - that's wehere the other Northwich play!!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The elephant in the room is what happens with the ground should they be in a position to get promoted.

AIUI DRUFC don't want anymore development at BM and there's currently no agreement with DMP.
It is more we don't want to spend any money on a ground we don't own. I don't think we need to do that much to the ground to meet National League standards. I think the work was done after we missed out on the play offs a few years ago.

We really do not want to play at the arena. It is awful, cold and soulless. What we want is a new ground and that seems to be on the distant horizon

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Are Spenny or Bish graded A standard?

Although I half feel that the statement about the Arena was a negotiation tactic ?
In our particular Northern Premier League, Premier Division, is it not the case that South Shields did not been the required ground standard to be promoted to the National League North, but Scarborough Athletic did and were subsequently promoted in their place. Both those two teams and Hyde United have always been successful in the lower stages of the pyramid. Hyde United stayed in what is the main National League for two years so their Ewen Fields ground must have met those requirements.

Norm_D_Ploom

Spence is a really good player, we were lucky he didn’t join last summer’s exodus, and it totally wouldn’t surprise me if Pete Wild came in for him in January, particularly if Barrow are still in the promotion running
I think he's better than Barrow personally

It is more we don't want to spend any money on a ground we don't own. I don't think we need to do that much to the ground to meet National League standards. I think the work was done after we missed out on the play offs a few years ago.

We really do not want to play at the arena. It is awful, cold and soulless. What we want is a new ground and that seems to be on the distant horizon
I didn't like the Arena but if the choice is that or not be eligible for promotion what is the option?
As I understand it whilst not much is required to bring the ground to the standard the rugby club will refuse any further work?

Last edited:

Drogba11CFC

Hanwell Town 1...Winchester City 2 (Lucan 67; Mlambo 56, Barron 90+1; Barron m/pen 53)

What a difference a week makes. Last Saturday a last-minute winner left the Winchester faithful feeling sick as parrots, today it's left them on top of the world. After an uneventful first half (preceded by an outstanding Remembrance ceremony) the game sprang to life when a Bentley-less City were awarded a penalty only for Barron to see his kick saved (although City fans will argue that the keeper moved off his line early and it should have been retaken.) Simba Mlambo broke the deadlock with a shot into the top corner only for City to be pegged back on the hour (after an earlier Hanwell equaliser had been disallowed). With the game entering stoppage time Mlambo got into the area and cut the ball back for Barron to hammer a volley into the bottom corner. Just what's needed ahead of a trip to Truro.

Manager Interview

Other Results:

Gosport Borough 0...Bracknell Town 4

Harrow Borough 2...Poole Town 1

Hendon 0...Dorchester Town 0

Merthyr Town 2...Weston-Super-Mare 3

Met Police 1...Truro City 2

North Leigh 0...Beaconsfield Town 2

Plymouth Parkway 3...Hayes & Yeading United 1

Salisbury 1...Chesham United 2

Swindon Supermarine 2...Yate Town 0

Tiverton Town 1...Hartley Wintney 0

League Table:

1. Truro City 15/39
----------------------------------
2. Weston-Super-Mare 15/38
3. Chesham United 16/32
4. Poole Town 17/28
5. Swindon Supermarine 16/27
--------------------------------------
6. Dorchester Town 17/27
14. Winchester City 16/20
17. Plymouth Parkway 13/17
18. Gosport Borough 17/16
---------------------------------------
19. Hartley Wintney 17/14
20. Hendon 14/12
21. Yate Town 15/10
22. North Leigh 17/9

youngiecj

Boston 3 Blyth 0. 4 unbeaten! Really good game, Blyth far better than their position suggests. Strangely one of the best teams I’ve seen down here this season.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
In our particular Northern Premier League, Premier Division, is it not the case that South Shields did not been the required ground standard to be promoted to the National League North, but Scarborough Athletic did and were subsequently promoted in their place. Both those two teams and Hyde United have always been successful in the lower stages of the pyramid. Hyde United stayed in what is the main National League for two years so their Ewen Fields ground must have met those requirements.

Scarborough Athletic were promoted as they won the play-offs. South Shields lost to Warrington Town on penalties in the semi-finals.

While I've never been to South Shields' ground, it looked well up to NLN standard, and indeed above, when their recent FA Cup tie with Forest Green was shown live on TV.

Hyde United's ground is also very decent.

There is a great documentary on Fort William FC's last season in the Highland League on BBC iPlayer called Fight at the Fort.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Cheshire Senior Cup...1st Round

Runcorn Town 1 ... Hyde United 4

Hyde were drawn away at a team from the North West Counties League (Division One North) in this first round tie and heavy rain had been falling for most of the day, but the referee deemed the pitch was playable at the 1945 kick off time on a cold-ish Tuesday night. The attendance figure was only said to be 86. Hyde took the lead mid-way through the first half, but Runcorn equalized just before half-time. However, the difference in class told in the second half, with Hyde scoring three more goals.

SteveM70

Established Member
It was the so-called lemon top * derby last night; Redcar Town v Redcar Athletic in the North Riding FA Cup. It went to penalties after Athletic secured a 2-2 draw with a 92nd minute penalty, and Town won the shootout.

The highlight of the shootout was the Athletic goalkeeper going second, attempting a panenka, and hitting the bar with it.

Town won, and the Athletic manager left the club within an hour of the final whistle.

* a lemon top is a Redcar delicacy; a standard Mr Whippy ice cream with a dollop of lemon sorbet on top

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
£12 for 0.88 of a pint of fizzy Budweiser lager at the World Cup fan festival in Doha - and the American version at that - with nothing better on tap.

island

Veteran Member
Qatar has now banned alcohol in the stadia. Except hospitality boxes.

Big incoming lawsuit from Anheuser-Busch.

SteveM70

Established Member
Qatar has now banned alcohol in the stadia. Except hospitality boxes.

Big incoming lawsuit from Anheuser-Busch.

Twelve years since they were awarded the World Cup and two days before it starts they suddenly change their minds. And to make it even worse, they allow the corporates to carry on drinking. Shows FIFA for what they are as well