• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

richw

Veteran Member
It does seem to be a particular problem in certain Eastern European countries.

Almost backed up by this list off of BBC

Uefa's sanctions against clubs for racist behaviour this season
•Full stadium closures: Dinamo Zagreb of Croatia, Legia Warsaw of Poland and Honved of Hungary
•Partial stadium closures: Lazio (originally handed a full stadium closure that was reduced on appeal), Polish clubs Lech Poznan and Piast Gliwice, APOEL Nicosia of Cyprus and Croatian outfit HNK Rijeka

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Europa League

Wigan Athletic 1...Rubin Kazan 1

Another opportunity for Wigan Athletic to sample European football, this time against a team from the Russian Premier League,

19 year old Nick Powell (on loan from a Premiership club) scored the equaliser from 20 yards out.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Now there is talk of black football players boycotting the 2018 World Cup in Russia if this racist Eastern European tendency is not dealt with by the authorities.

I am old enough to hark back to the early 1960's period and the growth of post-Empire new states on the African continent where Russia, wishing to take full advantage of the unhindered spread of Communism in such areas, was only to happy to bring many young black university-level students from those newly-established countries into Russia to study at their universities.

Liam

Established Member
Ross County v Inverness Caley Thistle abandoned at half time due to floodlight failure. Makes a bit mockery of the name Global Energy Stadium...:lol:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Middlesbrough 4...Doncaster Rovers 0

In the Friday evening match, this indeed was a good start for caretaker manager, Mark Venus, who has taken over from Tony Mowbray and this was only the third league win of the season for Middlesbrough. Perhaps he may be added to the short-list for the Middlesbrough managerial vacancy, hopefully.

CC 72100

Established Member
Middlesbrough 4...Doncaster Rovers 0

In the Friday evening match, this indeed was a good start for caretaker manager, Mark Venus, who has taken over from Tony Mowbray and this was only the third league win of the season for Middlesbrough. Perhaps he may be added to the short-list for the Middlesbrough managerial vacancy, hopefully.

Aha Mark Venus. He's been my very loyal assistant on my football manager game in charge of Boro :lol:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There's a few 'interesting' looking scorelines so far this Saturday... Stoke 2-1 up at Old Trafford and Yeovil ahead at home against Forest.

A good result for us this lunchtime, we were in need of a win... That it came against that team from up the A62 was just a bonus!

Butts

Veteran Member
Anyone got the story on Burnley ?

Currently beating QPR 1-0 to remain top of The Championship.

Have not heard of any big money signings :lol:

Louis Suarez show at Anfield with the help of Sturridge to lead 4-1 against WBA.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

Burnley have managed to build a good side on a shoestring (as this season is their first without parachute payments) and it could be that their main weapon is that other teams underestimate them. As for signings, over the summer they lost Charlie Austin of course, and Martin Paterson to us at HTFC but signed Scott Arfield from us- and I think they got the better side of that deal! (The deals were not actually linked, though).

Butts

Veteran Member
Burnley have managed to build a good side on a shoestring (as this season is their first without parachute payments) and it could be that their main weapon is that other teams underestimate them. As for signings, over the summer they lost Charlie Austin of course, and Martin Paterson to us at HTFC but signed Scott Arfield from us- and I think they got the better side of that deal! (The deals were not actually linked, though).

Thanks for that.

I wonder if Liverpool are genuine top four contenders this year if "SAS" keep up the goals. :p

richw

Veteran Member
Thanks for that.

I wonder if Liverpool are genuine top four contenders this year if "SAS" keep up the goals. :p

I'd like us to be but I don't think we will stay there, our squad isn't deep enough for when players start tiring and getting injuries as the season progresses.

familyguy99

Oldham beat Swindon 2-1 today :D wonderful strike by Winchester to give us lead in poor first half, Latics score all three goals as Tarkowski (I feel unlucky) own goal but aleast Philliskirk heading in to win us the match.

Sadly Hyde are out of FA Cup as they lost 2-0 to Wrexham mean Latics can't get them in first Round (where draw will be made tomorrow afternoon) but we could get Macclesfield as they beat Car manufacturing team (Vauxhall Motors) 7-0 this afternoon.

Also see Stockport lose 2-1 against Histon in Skrill Conference North division game today too.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

Louis Suarez show at Anfield with the help of Sturridge to lead 4-1 against WBA.

Very shrewd move by Burnley to refuse Eddie Howe permission to take Danny Ings with him when he moved back south.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
A rather unusual feat of goalscoring:-

Wick Academy 8...Fort William 1

This match was goal-less until the 30th minute, but in the next 60 minutes of play, Gary Weir of Wick Academy broke that club's match goalscoring record by scoring all EIGHT of the Wick Academy goals in the match.

There will be unkind cynical people who will claim that scoring eight against Fort William is only as good as scoring a hat-trick against the better teams in the Highland League...:roll:

Last edited:

David

Established Member
The draw for the first round of the FA Cup has been made, and there's a couple of tasty looking matches in there.

First up, there is Rotherham United v Bradford City, but I think the tie of the round is Grimsby Town v Scunthorpe United. Definately not easy for us to get through to the second round ....

Full draw here

familyguy99

Oldham Athletic v Wolves

Well that is worse draw for Oldham and knowing we reach fifth round last season it look like we be heading out in first stage this season. :( I hope Oldham have this game quite cheap (£10 for Adult and £5 for kids and over 65) as not many fans will pay £20 to watch that game and the off chances it be on TV too so fans would watch it on TV then go to Boundary Park if it is on TV.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Chelsea beat Man City 2-1 where Torres scored in 90th mins to win that match, Tottenham beat Hull 1-0 Soldado score only goal which came from penalty which mean that Chelsea are up to 2nd in table and Tottenham are 4th in table, Man City are 7th in table and are six points behide Arsenal but two point ahead of United who are 8th in table.

David

Established Member
I think 1 of the non league teams will be on TV for the 1st round, especially if they are at home. I have a sneaky feeling that the Grimsby v Scunthorpe match could be a live match, as you have a non league team at home against a league 2 side, with it being a local derby as well.

familyguy99

I think 1 of the non league teams will be on TV for the 1st round, especially if they are at home. I have a sneaky feeling that the Grimsby v Scunthorpe match could be a live match, as you have a non league team at home against a league 2 side, with it being a local derby as well.

Your ties have got very good chances for been on TV special is derby match and is non league team vs League Two team but any of these matches could end up on TV.

Boreham Wood v Carlisle United
St Albans City v Mansfield Town
Grimsby Town v Scunthorpe United
Bishop's Stortford v Northampton
Shortwood United or Aldershot Town v Port Vale
Worcester City or Lincoln City v Plymouth Argyle
Hednesford Town v Crawley Town
Macclesfield Town v Swindon Town
Gloucester City v Fleetwood Town
Wimbledon v Coventry

richw

Veteran Member
Steve Bruce looks like he may be getting fined for comments reference the Spurs penalty.

AVB seemed to be in agreement the penalty maybe wasn't a penalty

AVB said:
The referee could have not given the penalty, sometimes they are not given, Brucey will be devastated by that decision.

craig87034

Looking forward to our tie against Coventry 88 winers against 87 winners. Franchise Football Never Forgive Never Forget

richw

Veteran Member
Your ties have got very good chances for been on TV special is derby match and is non league team vs League Two team but any of these matches could end up on TV.

Plymouth will probably lose, and the TV companies will be aware of that and probably pick them

Johnuk123

Established Member
Oldham Athletic v Wolves

Well that is worse draw for Oldham and knowing we reach fifth round last season it look like we be heading out in first stage this season. :( I hope Oldham have this game quite cheap (£10 for Adult and £5 for kids and over 65) as not many fans will pay £20 to watch that game and the off chances it be on TV too so fans would watch it on TV then go to Boundary Park if it is on TV.

Oldham should really fancy this one as Wolves are a team that never compete in cup competitions. I would be very surprised if we came away form Oldham with anything at all.