• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Phil6219

How much of their own money are they spending on facilities in east Manchester for the wider community rather than for their own use and benefit?

Quite a fair bit is going to the local area, a good chunk of my wages are paid by them since we are supplying the builders with their gear. In tern that's keeping my branch very busy so while most of that money is going straight back to head office and the shareholders it's keeping a lot of us in jobs... Probably something I should tell myself more often whilst cursing the builders for demanding so much of so few guys.

There will be a lot through ancillary jobs on site, cleaners and admin staff etc but there will also be the money spent by the people on site at local establishments which will keep people in jobs. Furthermore considering the whole area in question is a brown field site what's the problem?

due to Barry Hearn thinking that Orient should have had the ground even though they dont seem to fill up their current one every game now..

Exactly, they should be forced to pay the costs back to the taxpayer and Spurs should too...

Phil 8-)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I feel for Leyton Orient. They'd never fill the Olympic Stadium, but similarly if West Ham get their paws on it there's a very strong possibility they could send Orient to the wall. They can't win.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Arsenal 0...Bayern Munich 2

For the second day in succession, an English side loses 2-0 in the home leg of a Champions League tie and has a key member of their defence sent off.

I see that both sides in this match spurned the goalscoring opportunity afforded by a penalty kick.

Butts

Veteran Member
Arsenal 0...Bayern Munich 2

For the second day in succession, an English side loses 2-0 in the home leg of a Champions League tie and has a key member of their defence sent off.

I see that both sides in this match spurned the goalscoring opportunity afforded by a penalty kick.

Obviously both want the kudos associated with winning 3-0 away from home :p

Clip

Established Member
I feel for Leyton Orient. They'd never fill the Olympic Stadium, but similarly if West Ham get their paws on it there's a very strong possibility they could send Orient to the wall. They can't win.

But why would Orient fans then start going to watch West Ham?

Chapeltom

Established Member
Presumably West Ham (and I think I've heard this quoted) will be offering cheap tickets so they can fill it. The Olympic Stadium is pretty much in Orient's catchment area. Two professional sides, one in the Premier League within such a close proximity is going to have result in side effects... which will affect Orient.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Presumably West Ham (and I think I've heard this quoted) will be offering cheap tickets so they can fill it. The Olympic Stadium is pretty much in Orient's catchment area. Two professional sides, one in the Premier League within such a close proximity is going to have result in side effects... which will affect Orient.

That's what I was thinking, pretty much. Anyone who goes to Brisbane Road for a cheap day out will also have a similar offer on the table from West Ham. You could easily end up with Orient being attended by the hardcore, set in stone Leyton Orient fans and their opposition fans, and that's it. To a lot of casual fans, it'd be a lot more attractive as a day out to watch better quality football in an iconic stadium. If WHU get into the Olympic Stadium they could easily have several thousand unoccupied seats for each game there (especially in things like the FA Cup) they could flog for a few quid.

fowler9

Established Member
That's what I was thinking, pretty much. Anyone who goes to Brisbane Road for a cheap day out will also have a similar offer on the table from West Ham. You could easily end up with Orient being attended by the hardcore, set in stone Leyton Orient fans and their opposition fans, and that's it. To a lot of casual fans, it'd be a lot more attractive as a day out to watch better quality football in an iconic stadium. If WHU get into the Olympic Stadium they could easily have several thousand unoccupied seats for each game there (especially in things like the FA Cup) they could flog for a few quid.

What would the seating capacity be at the Olympic Stadium?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
What would the seating capacity be at the Olympic Stadium?

60,000 was the number banded about initially, however it's now agreed to be 54,000 (source). West Ham averaged 34,000 a match last season (from same source as the 54,000 figure), so they have 20,000 extra seats to fill.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I always laugh at the rule that "denying a goal scoring opportunity" gets you sent off, isn't denying goal scoring the main job of a goal-keeper? :lol:

Spurs lost 1-0 away to FC Dnipro.

Clip

Established Member

West Ham offer cheap tickets now for their home fans in a lot of games so that isnt going to be anything new.

If people are happy to swap allegiances then thats poor form on them and rather fickle. Then again, Orient are not filling their ground now anyway so I dont see much change.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I always laugh at the rule that "denying a goal scoring opportunity" gets you sent off, isn't denying goal scoring the main job of a goal-keeper? :lol:

Spurs lost 1-0 away to FC Dnipro.

The full text is,

FIFA said:
Law 12 - fouls and misconduct

Sending-off offences

A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any of the following seven offences:
  • serious foul play
  • violent conduct
  • spitting at an opponent or any other person
  • denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
  • denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick
  • using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
  • receiving a second caution in the same match
A player, substitute or substituted player who has been sent off must leave the vicinity of the field of play and the technical area.

Note the bold part.

Darandio

Established Member
Didn't realise anyone had replied.

Just Loose change compared to what they spend on transfers and player salaries in a season.

Maybe today yes, but the period in which I was referring to was long before the rich owners arrived.

Clip

Established Member
And Leyton Orient had no qualms about Spurs moving to the OS. They only got their knickers in a twist when West Ham won the bid.

Yeah, its funny that isnt it.

Anyway I reckon we have a must win game against Villa on Sunday. I know we have nowt to play for but we have not been doing well of late and another beating and we'll start terminal freefall. Mind you I dont think we will be relegation fodder given who is in the bottom 3 but you just never know.

GWRtom

Tonbridge 1 Dorchester 2, Making it 3 wins in 5.
On another note.
Gosport Borough bottom of the conference south are on their way to Wembley!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Today's comedy results from the Highland League....

Brora Rangers 11...Strathspey Thiistle 0

Forres Mechanics 6...Fort William 0

Never a dull moment in that league...:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
*******************************************************************************************

Hyde 2....Aldershot Town 2

I see that valenta forecast this score in the Prediction League.

Last edited:

familyguy99

Good win for Oldham this afternoon beating Gillingham 1-0, I felt that Gillingham were better team and our goalkeeper Oakley made good save to keep it 1-0, also good win too as other teams around Oldham won this afternoon mean if Oldham would lost that match then we would found our self in 19th places and only two points clear from 21st.

Last week I thought that Droylsden won they first match of season but it ended 2-2 draw but today it was back to normal for Droylsden as they lose 4-0 to Marine, I still think Droylsden will win a match this season but they may go down in record of lowers points in season with only three points.

Also well done to Stenhousemuir who become only second team this season to take points off Rangers as they draw 3-3 at Ibrox this afternoon, still good record for Rangers played 25 and won 23 and probably only team who can say that they won all of matches this season par from two.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Tunstall Town today ended a 171 game losing streak.
How come the discussions of some teams poor results and we have not picked up on Tunstall Town previously?
The BBC has a story about them, my iPad won't copy the text but it has comments from their manager that last season they had a goal difference of minus 70 which was a great achievement for his team, as normally they have goal difference around minus 200.

The team made the news in 2010 for having the oldest team in the country - there back four and goalkeeper had a combined age of over 300!

Butts

Veteran Member
Hearts 0...Celtic 2

In this bottom v top match, the Celtic goalkeeper, Fraser Forster, broke the goalkeeping record of 1,115 minutes without conceding a goal, that was held by Bobby Clarke.

An improvement on the 7-0 humbling that ensued in the Cup Tie in December.
Tunstall Town today ended a 171 game losing streak.
How come the discussions of some teams poor results and we have not picked up on Tunstall Town previously?
The BBC has a story about them, my iPad won't copy the text but it has comments from their manager that last season they had a goal difference of minus 70 which was a great achievement for his team, as normally they have goal difference around minus 200.

The team made the news in 2010 for having the oldest team in the country - there back four and goalkeeper had a combined age of over 300!

Enough of this "Southern League" twaddle.....:lol:

After their mauling at The Emirates today can Sunderland "do a Wigan" on Man City in next weeks League Cup Final ?

richw

Veteran Member
Euro 2016 qualifying draw

A: Netherlands, Kazakhstan, Iceland, Latvia, Turkey, Czech Republic

B: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Andorra, Cyprus, Wales, Israel, Belgium

C: Spain, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Belarus, Slovakia, Ukraine

D: Germany, Gibraltar, Georgia, Scotland, Poland, Republic of Ireland

E: England, San Marino, Lithuania, Estonia, Slovenia, Switzerland

F: Greece, Faroe Islands, Northern Ireland, Finland, Romania, Hungary

G: Russia, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Montenegro, Austria, Sweden

H: Italy, Malta, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Norway, Croatia

I: Portugal, Albania, Armenia, Serbia, Denmark

fowler9

Established Member

Doesn't look a bad group on paper for England compared to some of them.

Butts

Veteran Member

Nice easy draw for Scotland :cry:
Another goal conceded in injury time. :(

I'm afraid all the action was at Anfield today - not that snorefest in the NE :p

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Nice easy draw for Scotland :cry:

Indeed. I'm not sure what the qualification process is like this time around but by a country mile Scotland are the second best team in that group. It is well within their capabilities to finish ahead of Ireland and Poland.

SS4

Established Member
I'm afraid all the action was at Anfield today - not that snorefest in the NE :p

To the degree that there were five minutes of injury time. Whilst I cannot say for this game we seem to have a lot of excessive injury time in our games.