• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Disregarding league tables, if The Championship started today with all teams on 0 points my idea of the top 10 would be something like this:

1. Bournemouth
2. Middlesbrough
3. Norwich
4. Derby
5. Watford
6. Ipswich
7. Wolves
8. Brentford
9. Blackburn
10. Nottm Forest

Quite a decent gap back to the 11th ranked team who are Bolton.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Y961 XBU

Disregarding league tables, if The Championship started today with all teams on 0 points my idea of the top 10 would be something like this:

1. Bournemouth
2. Middlesbrough
3. Norwich
4. Derby
5. Watford
6. Ipswich
7. Wolves
8. Brentford
9. Blackburn
10. Nottm Forest

Quite a decent gap back to the 11th ranked team who are Bolton.

I think Bolton will finish in the top 10, they had a bad start to the season but have lost 1 maybe 2 Games in 3 Months, Bolton may well shock you yet

ReverendFozz

I'm a Bantam. HOOF!

They probably were, but generally the standard of refereeing is getting worse. The idiot in charge of our cup replay with Millwall was a great case in point, they should have ended up with eight men on the pitch yet it's us that get charged with "failing to control the players". Yeah right. I do wish Parkinson would keep his gob shut though, referees give us nowt these days and I think his mouth is why.

As ReverendFozz says, Leeds got treated a lot more fairly than many other teams did, especially teams in the Conference. Look at what happened to Darlington, Scarborough, Halifax Town and Chester, not to mention what's going on now at Hereford. If Leeds hadn't been a "big club" they'd have been booted out of the League entirely. It isn't just Leeds who get the "big club" help though, why Coventry City weren't booted out of the League for what they did goodness only knows.

Portsmouth should have had a harsh punishment too imo...

While I dont wish it on any football fan, it does goto show that the Football League show favour towards so called 'bigger teams' as already pointed out, Luton were relegated before a ball was kicked with the 30 point deduction...

All football needs to find a way to work together to come up with a rule what to do with clubs who go through what Leeds did, and make it the same for everyone, whether your Premier/Football League or non-League

Rotherham and us both got 27 points deducted by your calculation - 10 for entering administration, and 17 the following season for failing to exit administration in the "correct manner", ie. having a CVA agreed.

Leeds set the precedent with the latter deduction (15 points in your case) after what is perceived by many as cheating the system when you took the 10-point hit after your relegation was all but confirmed. (I refuse to pass judgement on this measure because I have vested interests in it, just like you.)

Rotherham and us both got hit with 17 points, after allegedly going into administration twice in ten years, despite our previous one being 11 years before, but it's not like the Football League ever cared about the technicalities. Luton were hit with 20 as they had been in admin three times in the previous ten years, plus another ten for financial irregularities (therefore they started on -30 in the 2008-09 season), so a total of 40 points deducted over two seasons.

I won't pass any comments on last night, because it will likely be seen as sour grapes, and what my mate (who braved the freezing temperature) said to me this morning would be unsuitable for general audience viewing. Leeds are kinda like our bogey team atm and yesterday was allegedly the worst performance of the whole season we had.

I am not bothered by one game. There are still plenty of points up for grabs.

I was at the game on Tuesday night and I’d say we deserved to win. Bournemouth played ok but we got a seriously rough hand from the officials, the penalty was miles outside the box and it wasn’t a red card, Charlie Taylor was level with the lad who got brought down. One of the Bournemouth players should have been off for 2 bookable offences, as pointed out by Redfearn after the match but the ref, for whatever reason, decided not too.

I counted up we’ve had no less than FOUR incorrect penalty decisions in the last 2 games alone. Birmingham’s penalty was not a penalty, Cooper clearly got the ball. Byram was fouled in the area and the ref didn’t give a penalty to Leeds, I posted that one on here and there was the most blatant hand ball in the world, worse than the Sheff Utd one last night and the ref didn’t give us a penalty. Then of course there was the Bournemouth penalty that was clearly outside the box, I could see that from the other end of the stadium, why didn’t the ref? You can accept the odd bad decision but at the moment it’s silly.

What’s with your travelling support? It was pretty much non existent!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
What’s with your travelling support? It was pretty much non existent!

Tuesday night, with Villa (new ground) to come on Sunday, freezing cold, nightmare drive, Elland Road no longer a new ground for many, already been up Yorkshire three days before, etc.

Thank goodness Ipswich were unable to take advantage.

I think Bolton will finish in the top 10, they had a bad start to the season but have lost 1 maybe 2 Games in 3 Months, Bolton may well shock you yet

I think I have them rated higher than most people, as I do Huddersfield who I have rated 12th. I agree with you that Bolton are underrated. Realistically though I think it would be incorrect to have them rated higher than Forest. I'm happy with my rating. :)

Baine-wonderer won't be very pleased to know (or maybe he won't care) that I have Leeds rated 19th, so I expect to get wake up after work tomorrow to a barrage of abuse. :D

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I am not even sure how to take Forest tbh. They clearly have the ability, as seen when they managed to beat Derby, but their form really is atrocious.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Adrian Chiles dropped by ITV - no explanation ?

I tend to look at his early life as an amateur actor at the Crescent Theatre, Birmingham, then going on to study at the University of London where he obtained a degree in English Literature but cannot trace any involvement with a professional football club either as a player or a coach where an inside understanding of the game of football played at a high level could be garnered, but cannot trace any note of these which could have enabled him to gain a position of football pontification that he has held.

That being the case, my First in Mathematics gained at Manchester University in 1966 coupled with a successful career in business, would similarly qualify me for a leading role in the Royal Shakespeare Company....<(

Sorry for the facetious comparison but in this case, I feel it to be totally warranted.

I think I have them rated higher than most people, as I do Huddersfield who I have rated 12th. I agree with you that Bolton are underrated. Realistically though I think it would be incorrect to have them rated higher than Forest. I'm happy with my rating. :)

Baine-wonderer won't be very pleased to know (or maybe he won't care) that I have Leeds rated 19th, so I expect to get wake up after work tomorrow to a barrage of abuse. :D

I think 19th is being fairly kind! We are were we deserve to be, a struggling Championship team.

CC 72100

Established Member
Cambridge 0 - 0 Man Utd :o

Highlights just how poor we are going forward at the moment. For all the jokes about Man Utd having a rubbish defence and having spent loads in 'top drawer' attackers, the reality is somewhat different.

Di Maria absent in the game. Maybe I'm asking too much of somebody who cost £60 million...

Well done to Cambridge, and I hope their team and fans enjoy the trip to Old Trafford. I just hope that we manage to beat them this time!

richw

Veteran Member
Highlights just how poor we are going forward at the moment. For all the jokes about Man Utd having a rubbish defence and having spent loads in 'top drawer' attackers, the reality is somewhat different.

Di Maria absent in the game. Maybe I'm asking too much of somebody who cost £60 million...

Well done to Cambridge, and I hope their team and fans enjoy the trip to Old Trafford. I just hope that we manage to beat them this time!

Your defence has gone from a joke at the start of the season to being one of the best in the last 5-10 games. Your attack which was doing ok when defence was poor has now gone poor when the defence has improved.

LVG Is getting away from criticism thanks to the rest of the top teams dropping silly points. £200m spent and almost identical record as Moyes got out of a weaker squad. That to me says LVG has performed statistically worse but got away with it more due to the poorer performance by many of the top teams.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I tend to look at his early life as an amateur actor at the Crescent Theatre, Birmingham, then going on to study at the University of London where he obtained a degree in English Literature but cannot trace any involvement with a professional football club either as a player or a coach where an inside understanding of the game of football played at a high level could be garnered, but cannot trace any note of these which could have enabled him to gain a position of football pontification that he has held.

No different to Ed Chamberlain, Colin Murray, Dan Walker, Mark Chapman etc. In fact the only ex-pro-turned presenter I can think of is Gary Lineker, certainly on such a big stage. A lot of what they do, say and ask is dictated by prompts and whatever has blindly obviously happened.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
No different to Ed Chamberlain, Colin Murray, Dan Walker, Mark Chapman etc. In fact the only ex-pro-turned presenter I can think of is Gary Lineker, certainly on such a big stage. A lot of what they do, say and ask is dictated by prompts and whatever has blindly obviously happened.

Based on such abilities to be able to speak with complete authority on all matters football-related with no absolutely no experience gained in the highest ranks of professional football, the four names that you show at the head of your posting plus our two revered football forum pundits SS4 and balne_wonderer could all start on Monday in their new roles as "redtop" sports "reporters"...:D

CC 72100

Established Member
Your defence has gone from a joke at the start of the season to being one of the best in the last 5-10 games. Your attack which was doing ok when defence was poor has now gone poor when the defence has improved.

Did I not say this at the start of the season, that things would like a lot brighter defensively when were able to name a consistent defence (a back 4, of preference, but a 3 if need be).

However what Van Gaal has done to the team is questionable at best, lamentable at worst. I sometimes wonder whether he only pays attention to one statistic - possession - as commentators often remark "Man Utd have had high possession etc." and my response is always "and we've done %$&£ all with it". You can get lots of possession by playing balls square. You can get lots of possession by passing backwards. You can get lots of possession by never taking a man on. We do all of that.

Where's the tempo? In certain games under Moyes last season it was demonstrated that Man Utd have to play with a high tempo to win games, if not, no chance. And yet again we're doing the same old same old, passing from side to side. Failing to take any risks. I remember jokes that Man Utd, with the way their team is balanced, will win games 6-5. I think the 1-0 home defeat to Southampton sums things up perfectly.

When is di Maria, bar one good game, going to step up and run rings round defenders and dictate games like Ronaldo used to? I'd expect pretty much the same from the former - 60 million, even in the inflated market of today, is a lot of money. When has Falcao demonstrated that he is worth the wages that he reportedly earns and ought to be signed permanently? When will Shaw show anything like the promise he did last year? When will Herrera actually get a decent run in the team?

Add to that how Januzaj looks like a broken man, how Rafael seems to have gone backwards and how we're still relying on Carrick to dictate games the best he can and you can see why we're in this situation.

The positives are that we're now drawing games which last year we would have lost and that the defence looks more solid (oh look, that coincides with not having an injury list in double-figures)

Our saving grace is that the other teams challenging for Europe have also been inconsistent this year, although I imagine they're not playing as bad and as boring football as we are.

Still, at least there is karma in the news that Adrian Chiles has been sacked.

SS4

Established Member
Based on such abilities to be able to speak with complete authority on all matters football-related with no absolutely no experience gained in the highest ranks of professional football, the four names that you show at the head of your posting plus our two revered football forum pundits SS4 and balne_wonderer could all start on Monday in their new roles as "redtop" sports "reporters"...:D

Sorry Paul but I have some dignity :p. To present football on ITV is, like the England manager's role, a poisoned chalice where everyone dislikes you.

For my part football on the TV is best enjoyed with the mute button and 5Live
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Small Heath fans are, once more, displaying their amazing vocal repertoire. :lol:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Today will be one of those "where were you...?" things, in years to come.
Bradford and Middlesbrough both showing that money can't buy everything!

David

Established Member
What the, erm, dickens?

Bradford 2-0 down at Chelsea and win 4-2, Man City lose at home as well, and Blackpool were 2-0 up at half time (:shock:) before normal service was resumed!

richw

Veteran Member
Chelsea, Man City, Southampton, Spurs and Swansea all out to lesser opposition.

Man City and Chelsea being the biggest shocks.

Looks like Man Utd did OK after all.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

West Bromwich Albion were the only top flight side to beat a side from a lower division.

2015's 4th Round will no doubt be looped endlessly on BBC3 in 10 years time!

familyguy99

Fair play to Bradford for coming from 2-0 down to beat Chelsea 4-2 at Stamford bridge and for Middlesbrough beating Man City 2-0.

Amazing five out of top 6 teams in Premiership have failed to win FA Cup match this weekend :o

While all that was going on in FA Cup Oldham were playing against Gillingham in League One and lost 3-2, Gillingham were 2-0 up inside first 15 mins before Oldham scored two goals in six mins to make it 2-2 after 23 mins but in 70th mins Dack scored for Gillingham to beat us 3-2. :(

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
What the, erm, dickens?

Bradford 2-0 down at Chelsea and win 4-2, Man City lose at home as well, and Blackpool were 2-0 up at half time (:shock:) before normal service was resumed!

Vicarage Road is never an easy place even with a two-goal margin.

Blackpool really look like they are as good as down.

12CSVT

Established Member

Cambridge will get their chance in the replay :lol:<D

Yet another defeat for that team in Tameside (2-4 at home to Gloucester)

And it doesnt' get any better for Blackpool. 2-0 up at half time, lost 7-2.