• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
To win it, yes, but not the first player to go that route... I think that honour goes to Ian Ashbee, formerly of Hull City, who Captained the side through League 1, Championship and Premiership

I'm pretty sure Bournemouth and Swansea both have players who went from league 2 to premier league with them?

Championship matches

Brighton 1-1 Derby
Burnley 1-0 QPR

Burnley are promoted back to Premiership after that win, it be interesting to see if they can stay in Premiership for more then one season.

Brighton play Middlesbrough on Saturday to fight it out for last promoted place, Brighton will need to win that match given Middlesbrough have better goal different over them.

I like burnley went for stability, didn't sack their manager when struggling in the premier league, and kept him on to have a go at going straight back up.

familyguy99

I always doubt them but well done Leicester, can't believe there were in Championship division only two season ago (2013/14 season) :shock:

Last edited:

marks87

Established Member
Dundee 2-1 Dundee Utd

Dundee Utd relegated to The Championship.

To quote a certain Battery Sergeant Major: oh dear, how sad, never mind.

richw

Veteran Member
A week or so ago we were discussing Hazards interview where he said he wanted Leicester to win the league, didn't think he'd score the goal to win it for them though!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Jeez, I doubt I will get one whisker of sleep tonight with what went on at Stamford Bridge and the Crucible tonight.

I am really feeling for Charlton supporters tonight, as they potentially face a second season in a row where the opponents celebrate winning the Championship at the Valley in the last game of the season. This time with Charlton heading in the wrong direction.

Antman

Established Member
Fantastic achievement by Leicester City and how we loved putting the final nail into Tottenham's aspirations, we also put a whacking great dent in Arsenal's aspirations too despite having our worst season for years!

Tottenham were a disgrace and the FA are going to be busy today reviewing that.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
1-1 is a good result for Leicester even with dodgy decisions going against them (what's new at Old Trafford?)

Come on Chelsea (never thought I'd say that :lol:)

And I'd have been wanting us to lose our final game of the season had the title not been decided.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Fellani is one horrible player, every game he's tripping, pulling people back, elbowing like today then puts his hands up saying "what me ? never ref"

Horrible player who fits well in that team.

I totally agree about Fellani, can't condone what Huth did but it was only a slight tug on his hair

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Having FC United and Salford City in our division (Conference North) next season is something I am relishing with about the same level of enthusiasm as a poke in the eye with a rusty spoon. No doubt the BBC will be fawning over the latter all season. The only good point I can see is that it'll be an interesting away day, providing they don't do as FC United do and provide such paltry away allocations that you can't get a ticket for love nor money.

With Altrincham, Kidderminster and Halifax coming down and Darlington and Salford coming up I'm hopeful the division will actually be 'northern' next year. Travelling to the likes of Lowestoft and Brackley when in what is supposed to be a regionalised northern league is just bizarre. Thankfully the former were relegated, and when the leagues are redrawn the latter should disappear into the Conference South as well.

Salford seem to have won the league, at least according to the BBC. For the record they finished 3rd &14 points adrift of the champions, Darlington.

Have Brackley not survived in Conference North?

Johnuk123

Established Member
When the Leicester story is told in years to come:

"Dad tell me about the time little Leicester won the Premier league"
"Well son it all started when Nigel Pearson's son racially abused a few prostitutes in Thailand"

DarloRich

Veteran Member

"Well son it all started when Nigel Pearson's son racially abused a few prostitutes in Thailand"

as stolen from twitter/facebook.................. ;)

palmersears

Established Member
Have Brackley not survived in Conference North?

They did, however with three of the four teams coming down from the Conference being from Birmingham and above, and two rather northerly teams coming up from below, I would imagine when the Conference North and South are drawn up for next season Brackley will find themselves moved in to the South, as will Gloucester.

That's unless the South has a sudden influx of teams from the far south east/west, in which case things will remain roughly the same.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
They did, however with three of the four teams coming down from the Conference being from Birmingham and above, and two rather northerly teams coming up from below, I would imagine when the Conference North and South are drawn up for next season Brackley will find themselves moved in to the South, as will Gloucester.

That's unless the South has a sudden influx of teams from the far south east/west, in which case things will remain roughly the same.

i was hoping Brackley might stay. it is easy from here! ;) Hungerford beat Leamington yesterday so they will go into the south section. I would say we loose either Kiddy or Gloucester ( the later if i am being selfish)

We will know on Friday 13th May - apparently there is a prediction sheet on the net that is usually spot on.

palmersears

Established Member
i was hoping Brackley might stay. it is easy from here! ;) Hungerford beat Leamington yesterday so they will go into the south section. I would say we loose either Kiddy or Gloucester ( the later if i am being selfish)

We will know on Friday 13th May - apparently there is a prediction sheet on the net that is usually spot on.

Kidderminster will stay in the North hopefully, far easier to get to than Gloucester (although if they carry on playing at Cheltenham next season it'll be a bit better).

I await the scheduling of our game at yourselves to be a Tuesday in November!

EDIT: Do you have a link to the prediction sheet? Interested to see how it does.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

Not really sure whether I would get told off for laughing at this one.

Amberley54

Bah!

It's been a disappointing season, with some bad luck with injuries, but far more than that, some incompetence from the management in not bringing new faces in as soon as it became apparent that we had an injury crisis.

As for Braintree, I completely fail to see how on earth they'll be able to cope with League 2 teams bringing fans to them - the 1803 in for Saturday's game put it not too far from its capacity.

The same was said about Stevenage, Fleetwood and Crawley Town when they went up, but they're still up there.

County reject Neil Young as your manager - real ambition in that appointment

backontrack

Established Member
The same was said about Stevenage, Fleetwood and Crawley Town when they went up, but they're still up there.

County reject Neil Young as your manager - real ambition in that appointment

Crawley Town bought loads of players - and Stevenage Borough should have been relegated.

Butts

Veteran Member
I still say Nottingham Forest was a more amazing story...

Will Leicester emulate them and win The European Cup (Champions League) next year ?

Without John "20 a day" Robertson I doubt it :lol:

Incidentally have a load of "quasi fans" come out of the woodwork in the Leicester area to "jump on the bandwagon" ?

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I'm guessing that's because you think Clough and Taylor should have stayed? But Derby did win the League the next season under Mackay, so maybe it's the board's fault for not investing?

Sam Longson should have allowed Cloughie to do whatever he wanted and let him be the main man. Yes Cloughie had a huge ego but that's why he was so successful. And yes absolutely Cloughie and Taylor should have stayed. I've no idea whether you've ever been to Pride Park but there is a fantastic statue outside the stadium of the two of them.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Sam Longson should have allowed Cloughie to do whatever he wanted and let him be the main man. Yes Cloughie had a huge ego but that's why he was so successful. And yes absolutely Cloughie and Taylor should have stayed. I've no idea whether you've ever been to Pride Park but there is a fantastic statue outside the stadium of the two of them.

one of the great "what might have been" stories in football. Clough was a superb man manager while Taylor could spot a player like few others.

He was also a superb centre forward scoring 204 goals in 222 league matches for Boro and 63 goals in 74 matches for Sunderland before torn cruciate and medial ligaments did for him. Outrageously he only got 2 Enlgand caps.

I will even let him off managing Hartlepooh!

Minilad

Established Member
one of the great "what might have been" stories in football. Clough was a superb man manager while Taylor could spot a player like few others.

He was also a superb centre forward scoring 204 goals in 222 league matches for Boro and 63 goals in 74 matches for Sunderland before torn cruciate and medial ligaments did for him. Outrageously he only got 2 Enlgand caps.

I will even let him off managing Hartlepooh!

But as we all know Clough pales into insignificance against the magnificent Martin O'Neill