• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

An Albion supporting friend of mine who lives in Coseley says he is having trouble sleeping at night as all he can hear is the sound of creaking floorboards. He reckons it’s the sound of lots of Dingles coming out from underneath them

One is guessing that those Albion fans won't feel a smudge better after yesterday's draw, whilst our 1 point V Millwall extends out lead to 8 points!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

roversfan2001

Established Member
We've won 7 out of our last 8 in the league, unbeaten in all competitions since Oldham robbed us on October 14th. Big crunch clash with Scunthorpe coming on Saturday, a win for either side could put them into 2nd place going into 2018 if Shrewsbury drop points.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Boro appoint Pullis - nimrod fans up in arms about style of play. yawn. Style is second to success.

In other news Darlo beat Harrogate 3-1 to rocket out of the relegation zone! A complete turn around for the horrific 3 -1 defeat to Gainsbourgh Trinity on the 23rd. God that was an awful game. We were crap. Compete crap. It was like watching us when Steve Staunton was our manager.

fowler9

Established Member
Outrageous fee, but just how it is now. Quite a statement of intent.
Indeed. I'd say I'm glad I'm not paying for it but then it is part of the reason I can't afford to go as often as I used to. Ah well, hopefully an improvement to the team.

Established Member
Liverpool agree a £75m fee with Southampton for Virgil Van Dijk.

Unfortunately, the size of the fee shows that these days, you have to pay big money to bring in top quality players.

Nevertheless, it is another big statement of intent from FSG which proves they want to support Klopp in acquiring his transfer targets, which is a big plus for me. I'm looking forward to seeing van Dijk in action for us, though, because he helps address a big problem in what I think has been a very weak position for us since Carragher retired.

I think after Virgil settles in at Liverpool and finds a regular partner in defence, (I think it'll be Matip) he can regain the very good form he was in before his injury at Southampton.

Lankyline

Great result for PNE tonight at Cardiff, Warnock said he couldn’t wait to play us at their place after we beat them 3-0 at Deepdale, we’ll that worked well for him :lol: Now unbeaten in 9

roversfan2001

Established Member
Great result for PNE tonight at Cardiff, Warnock said he couldn’t wait to play us at their place after we beat them 3-0 at Deepdale, we’ll that worked well for him :lol: Now unbeaten in 9
Becoming quite worried you could do something this season...then again Preston's record in the play-offs isn't great :lol:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Why? If you read back through this thread, it is apparent who everyone supports. I could probably rattle off 50 different contributors on here and who theor teams are. Does it really matter if we have 37 Man United fans and only 4 Plymouth Argyle ones?

roversfan2001

Established Member
Why? If you read back through this thread, it is apparent who everyone supports. I could probably rattle off 50 different contributors on here and who theor teams are. Does it really matter if we have 37 Man United fans and only 4 Plymouth Argyle ones?
Those 4 Plymouth fans have probably seen their team live more than the 37 United fans put together have seen theirs. :lol:

Lankyline

Becoming quite worried you could do something this season...then again Preston's record in the play-offs isn't great :lol:

We’re looking at automatic ;) Be good to see your lot back, got a decent run going there, could be you & Wigan promoted and hopefully the lashers back in lge 2

familyguy99

Oldham 1-1 Bristol Rovers

Sound like fair point where Oldham missed penalty but lucky Davies scored the rebound to give Latics a point.

The local Tameside derby of Droylsden v Hyde United was one of the three of the match cancellations on Boxing Day in the Evo Stik First Division North

Droylsden would probably up for that game given they only lost once at home all season and last two games before postponed Big derby match, they won 5-0 and 7-0.

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
Back to winning ways for the Villa. I just hope that our injury crisis is over soon

For the new year I'd really like to see players stop crowding around the ref (who remembers the Respect campaign :lol: :lol:) and the introduction of the video referee

Watching the highlights of Bristol v Wolves it seems that having your manager sent to the stands is largely useless as the Wolves manager gets to sit in the director's box and communicate with the bench via electronic means anyway!

SS4

Established Member
I got a now TV pass and I'm getting really annoyed with their biased commentary. They've a hard on for the traditional top teams and nobody else gets a look in (if I weren't watching the game I'd be hard pressed to know who Arsenal were playing).

I'm surprised Mike "Midland Hater" Dean gave that West Brom penalty

Interestingly Cech got booked after the full time whistle and deservedly so :lol:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I'm surprised Mike "Midland Hater" Dean gave that West Brom penalty. Interestingly Cech got booked after the full time whistle and deservedly so :lol:

I think we have known each other for years on this thread, so I suppose that you feel justice was served when the obvious foul committed by Ashley Young which was missed during the match by the referee was seen by the review panel and he has now been given a three-match ban.

Perhaps he has given up "diving" which was his forte when playing as a winger and has taken a new-style "hard-man" image in his new role as a full-back.

trainmania100

Established Member
I love football at my local stadium because of 2 reasons
1) it brings extended train formations to my local station
2) it gives me the opportunity to see 6 car class 313s on the shuttles from Brighton to Lewes as opposed to the usual 3

96tommy

I got a now TV pass and I'm getting really annoyed with their biased commentary. They've a hard on for the traditional top teams and nobody else gets a look in (if I weren't watching the game I'd be hard pressed to know who Arsenal were playing).

You should of seen the commentary when Newcastle played Manchester City the other night. Gary Neville was very biased...... towards Manchester City. Rafa Benitez was an embarrasment to football etc etc. All beacause Newcastle kept them down to 1 goal and Sky didn't get the whitewash they wanted. In fact in the post match ratings, the Stoke defenders who conceded 7 (Seven) Manchester City than the Newcastle defence who conceded 1. Probably because they are all friends of Mike Ashley.

York and Darlington fans slightly happier this evening?

Being a York fan, I'm never happy. Will be today though if we win (and we should be vs the worst team at this level the league has seen for years) and if we somehow manage a win at Darlo. North Ferriby are struggling very bad and are having to get players from 2/3 leagues below.

Drogba11CFC

Winchester City 5...Shortwood United 1 (Barron 39, Cox 45+1, 77, 90+1, Bailey 72; White 56, Kibble s/o 62)

Winchester City brushed off a three-week wait for a fixture by putting Shortwood to the sword. Jamie Barron's free kick and Ollie Bailey's volley were interspersed with a Pat Cox hat trick against the lowly Gloucestershire side, who were also reduced to ten men in the second half.

Wimborne Town 3...Winchester City 0 (Oldring 48, Penny 66, Holmes 77)

Winchester suffered another boxing day defeat in abject weather on an incredibly muddy pitch. The visitors created several chances in the first half, but were unable to convert, before the hosts put them to the sword in the second half.

League Table:
1. Taunton Town 20/51
========================
2. Bristol Manor Farm 23/42
----------------------------------------
3. Salisbury 21/41
4. Wimborne Town 22/39
5. Swindon Supermarine 20/38
6. Didcot Town 23/38
7. AFC Totton 20/36
8. Winchester City 21/36
9. Bideford 20/35
10. Evesham United 21/35
11. Yate Town 22/31
12. K*dlington 20/29
13. Larkhall Athletic 20/27
14. Cirencester Town 21/25
15. North Leigh 21/24
16. Cinderford Town 21/23
17. Paulton Rovers 22/22
18. Shortwood United 20/20
19. Slimbridge 21/19
20. Mangotsfield United 22/17
21. Barnstaple Town 22/14
22. Bishops Cleeve 21/5

SS4

Established Member
I think we have known each other for years on this thread, so I suppose that you feel justice was served when the obvious foul committed by Ashley Young which was missed during the match by the referee was seen by the review panel and he has now been given a three-match ban.

Perhaps he has given up "diving" which was his forte when playing as a winger and has taken a new-style "hard-man" image in his new role as a full-back.

I didn't see it so it would be remiss of me to comment on that particular incident. However, I would say that a retrospective ban made absolutely no difference to matters on the pitch.

Perhaps I am being overly suspicious but perhaps the pundits are vehemently opposed to the video ref as it gives them less to talk about and will humble them into not acting like they're the oracle on the game

Established Member
After scoring Liverpool's winning goal against Burnley, Ragnar Klavan became the first ever Estonian player to score in a Premier League game.

fowler9

Established Member
Glad to see Liverpool grab a victory at the death after doing what we have so many times this season and throwing away the lead. Feel bad for Burnley though who are a great team.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Mark Hughes - Dead man walking?

Darlo followed up our great win over Harrogate at home on Boxing day by loosing 3-0 at Harrogate today. Sigh. York at home next followed by Salford at home next week....................

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
My first contribution to this thread for a while, but my first away trip of the season was not a positive one! We seem to be the authors of our own downfall at the moment...

I was however cheered up by what befell that MASSIVE club from South Yorkshire today... and in the "cauldron" too!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Evo Stik First Division North

Hyde United 2...Glossop North End 0

A relief for Hyde to actually play a match, after the previous two matches in the holiday period were cancelled, meaning that a total of five matches will now have to be arranged. Hyde scored in each half against a good mid-table side and they are in fourth place, with games in hand over two sides above them. They have achieved 42 points from 19 matches played.