• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

najaB

Veteran Member
Seems a bit suspicious that at a time when increasing numbers are getting fed-up with F1's predictable nature, suddenly, for no apparent reason, Red Bull are slower than a slow thing on slow day.
Not really. The car was slow in Singapore last year as well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Seems a bit suspicious that at a time when increasing numbers are getting fed-up with F1's predictable nature, suddenly, for no apparent reason, Red Bull are slower than a slow thing on slow day.
RB has had the same issue of tires not firing up enough for quali but being fine in the race.

Unfortunately this is not the track to be slow in qualifying...

There are also new technical directives don't forget.

Not really. The car was slow in Singapore last year as well.
Indeed. I remember close to the start of the year RB saying that this is the track that could cause them huge issues.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
HOLD THE BACK PAGE: F1 IN NON RED BULL ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ FEST SHOCKER!

Finally, FINALLY, an interesting race with a chance for several cars and drivers to win - thats what we want! Carlos Sainz brings home the win for Ferrari after a good scrap with Mclaren and Mercedes.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
HOLD THE BACK PAGE: F1 IN NON RED BULL ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ FEST SHOCKER!

Finally, FINALLY, an interesting race with a chance for several cars and drivers to win - thats what we want!
I thought there was something wrong with my TV, the car at the front seemed to be the wrong colour…

Established Member
What a race! Same level of competition every weekend please!!

JD2168

Good race today. It was too much for George & Lewis to get back up to & then pass Carlos & Lando. Their friendship coming back today as Carlos gave Lando DRS to help him against the Mercedes which gave Carlos the victory.

We will see if a big change has happened or if it is track specific with regards Red Bull as with Mercedes when they were dominating as Suzuka for the Japanese Grand Prix next weekend is an aero/chassis circuit.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Their friendship coming back today as Carlos gave Lando DRS to help him against the Mercedes which gave Carlos the victory.
more likely Sainz was using Norris to keep the Mercedes at bay - he needed the DRS train to do that as they were faster. The DRS train is great when you are the locomotive!

RB has had the same issue of tires not firing up enough for quali but being fine in the race.
they also had set up issues - they ran lower than than the other cars to try and generate downforce but it didn't work
I remember close to the start of the year RB saying that this is the track that could cause them huge issues.
RB never go well at Singapore - however i expected them to grind it out.

Established Member
Red Bull have taken the constructors championship. Great to see both McLarens on the podium

Masterclass regarding Checo's penalty. While I agree it's not in the spirit of the regulations you can't fault the team for knowing the wording of the rulebook so well.

66701GBRF

Red Bull have taken the constructors championship. Great to see both McLarens on the podium

Masterclass regarding Checo's penalty. While I agree it's not in the spirit of the regulations you can't fault the team for knowing the wording of the rulebook so well.

Agree on all points, though I hope that loophole will be removed at some point.

JD2168

It was a good race with degrading tyres & overtaking possible through the field. Well done to Red Bull for a thoroughly deserved Constructors Championship with Max comfortably winning.

McLaren continues to close in on Aston Martin in the championship with a 2-3 finish. A brave attempt at a one stop from George Russell nearly made a podium but the tyre wear meant he finished lower down.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I see the Red Bull crisis lasted ages ;)
Distinct possibility that one of the other 3 RB/AT drivers or Sargent at Williams might be the one to join the dole queue, rather than Lawson - obviously Max isn't going to lose his seat!
AT have confirmed Tsunoda and Ricciardo for next year. I suspect Sargent will be a gonna perhaps replaced by Lawson or Felipe Drugovich at Williams ( alternatively they need someone who comes with coin)

JD2168

The FIA has announced that Andretti Racing is the only candidate to be put forward at Formula 1 as the proposed 11th tram on the Grid, possibly starting in 2025.

BJames

Established Member
Trying the F1 Arcade watch party in New Change, London this weekend with some friends. Will report back... (p.s. £39 entry, bit steep but includes use of the simulators throughout which is normally chargeable in itself. Making a one off exception...)

If anyone has been before and didn't enjoy it I will be ignoring that as I have paid the money already ! :D

gabrielhj07

The FIA has announced that Andretti Racing is the only candidate to be put forward at Formula 1 as the proposed 11th tram on the Grid, possibly starting in 2025.
Will be interesting to see whether FOM manages to sort out the commercial discussions, or it all collapses.

Established Member
Trying the F1 Arcade watch party in New Change, London this weekend with some friends. Will report back... (p.s. £39 entry, bit steep but includes use of the simulators throughout which is normally chargeable in itself. Making a one off exception...)

If anyone has been before and didn't enjoy it I will be ignoring that as I have paid the money already ! :D
I've been and thought that while the prices are what we expect from this sport, the quality of the food, drink and service was great.

Pro tip though, if staff see you ordering on the QR code they will come over and offer to take your order, but won't tell you they add 15% service charge.

DelW

Established Member
I know F1 is boasting about reducing its carbon footprint, but this seems a bit extreme. Won't the trolley poles get tangled up?

(Sorry, I imagine auto-corrupt got you but I couldn't resist ;))

BJames

Established Member
I've been and thought that while the prices are what we expect from this sport, the quality of the food, drink and service was great.

Pro tip though, if staff see you ordering on the QR code they will come over and offer to take your order, but won't tell you they add 15% service charge.
Fantastic. This was what I wanted to hear - thanks! It's true about the price, I would expect nothing less and I rarely spend money on other live sport really so I'm happy to stretch to this.

Interesting about the QR code and many thanks for letting me know, duly noted. 15% is a little steep! But generally looking forward to it - hopefully will be a good race.

kristiang85

Established Member
Should be an interesting weekend. It's very hot in Qatar right now, and even at night ambient will be near 30c. FP1 on Friday will be meaningless, which is the only practice session. So they will go into qualifying on Friday evening with new conditions, new track surface and only 2-yr old data from one race that was with a different generation of cars.

Then with no further practice running on Saturday, the grand Prix will only have sprint data really.

Likely Max will win the title on Saturday, but Red Bull tend to show worse on weekends where they have less time to hone their set ups, which could give a window to someone like McLaren, Ferrari or Mercedes to have a good chance in the Grand Prix.

Fantastic. This was what I wanted to hear - thanks! It's true about the price, I would expect nothing less and I rarely spend money on other live sport really so I'm happy to stretch to this.

Interesting about the QR code and many thanks for letting me know, duly noted. 15% is a little steep! But generally looking forward to it - hopefully will be a good race.

Do let us know what you think - it's on my to do list at some point.

BJames

Established Member
IF the other teams/rights holders accept them
I see that Lawrence Stroll is already on record saying that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' and that we shouldn't be having an 11th team.
Verstappen will win. I hope the ambience in this F1 cafe place is worth it! ;)
Do let us know what you think - it's on my to do list at some point.
Indeed let's see (although yes, pending anything absolutely unexpected I'm sure P1 is a done deal already)... I will update on Sunday evening.

1Q18

Andretti are a much bigger name in US motorsport than Haas and carry the name of an F1 world champion.. with FOM continuing to chase the US market you'd think they'd be a shoe-in but that's stacked against the protectionist attitudes of most of the other teams (with one or two exceptions such as Alpine/Renault who can smell a potential engine customer).

jfollows

Established Member
Most of the rules introduced to F1 over the last ten years or so make it a nonsense of a sport, it's more about complying with a complex set of rules than winning races, and they make it incomprehensible to novice watchers as well. And don't get me started on nonsense like DRS either.
That said, the fact they're supposed to be good drivers - well, at least they get paid to drive rather than the rest of us who just do so because we have to - means that I totally support the rule about sticking to the circuit and not bombing off at the corners because they feel like it. The latest example of lots of people having their times deleted because they can't stay on the circuit seems correct to me. I mean, what is the purpose of the white lines on the circuit if they can be ignored?

JD2168

Max Verstappen has been confirmed as the 2023 Formula 1 World Champion after finishing second in today’s Qatar Sprint Race. The winner was Oscar Piastri with Lando Norris finishing third.

Also this weekend in a flashback to the US Grand Prix at Indianapolis in 2005 when only the Bridgestone runners did the race Pirelli found issues with the tyres after free practice. The kerbs at turns 12/13 were blamed as they have a sawtooth end on them. To discourage drivers from using as much of the kerb there was paint applied to the tarmac to bring the line edge inwards. There was an additional 10 minute familiarisation session before sprint qualifying. There are still possibilities that if the problem continued in the sprint that Pirelli & the FIA could mandate a 3 stop strategy during the 57 lap race on Sunday.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I don't usually enjoy the Sprint races but last night's one was very good. Good to see the McLaren resurgence continues.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
could be some interesting tyre shenanigans today - 18 laps maximum life for a set of tyres. This means three stop race.

Each driver has a defined life in each set of tyres available ad it might get fun if a safety car occurs. If I read things correctly Hamilton has 2 laps grace in his available tyres

stuart81

could be some interesting tyre shenanigans today - 18 laps maximum life for a set of tyres. This means three stop race.

Each driver has a defined life in each set of tyres available ad it might get fun if a safety car occurs. If I read things correctly Hamilton has 2 laps grace in his available tyres
Formula 1 the pinnacle of Motorsport