• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

JD2168

After an accident in FP2 at this weekend’s Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort Daniel Ricciardo has been ruled out with a wrist injury & replaced by Liam Lawson for the remainder of the event. Lawson has this year been racing in Super Formula in Japan.

In a very good race held in mixed weather conditions Max Verstappen won his home race, the Dutch Grand Prix. 2nd was Fernando Alonso & 3rd was Pierre Gasly. Early promise for Lando Norris & George Russell was undone by poor strategy around the early rain shower. Ferrari’s race was poor with Carlos Sainz finishing fifth & Charles Leclerc retiring after early damage caused a severe drop in pace & led to retirement.

Liam Lawson who replaced Daniel Ricciardo & finished 13th will replace Ricciardo until he returns to racing.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Been away in the far west of Scotland, no phone, no wifi, no tv. Missed race.

Checks when home: Verstappen won. Obvs. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. No idea why I bothered looking. Super dull. Predictable.

JD2168

Carlos Sainz has qualified on Pole Position for the Italian Grand Prix at Monza for Ferrari, alongside him on the from row is Max Verstappen. Third on the grid is Charles Leclerc & fourth is George Russell.

Ahead of the weekend it was announced that Lewis Hamilton & George Russell had signed new contracts to remain at Mercedes until the end of 2025.

Enthusiast

Established Member
Strange, though, that the alleged infringements, by both Ferraris, of the race director's instructions (regarding minimum lap times) were closed with NFA. Remind me again, where is this latest race? 8-)

BJames

Established Member
Strange, though, that the alleged infringements, by both Ferraris, of the race director's instructions (regarding minimum lap times) were closed with NFA. Remind me again, where is this latest race? 8-)
True. But it matters not - Verstappen will certainly lead into turn 1 anyway! (I'd love to be wrong - but even if Sainz keeps ahead I would be shocked if he holds Verstappen off for the duration...)

JamesT

Established Member
It has been explained that the Ferraris were going fast enough to meet the limit, but had slowed to avoid impeding other cars on fast laps.

gswindale

True. But it matters not - Verstappen will certainly lead into turn 1 anyway! (I'd love to be wrong - but even if Sainz keeps ahead I would be shocked if he holds Verstappen off for the duration...)
With a little bit of luck, one of the Ferrari drivers may have a brain fade at the start and mistake Verstappen's Red Bull for the racetrack.

gswindale

It has been explained that the Ferraris were going fast enough to meet the limit, but had slowed to avoid impeding other cars on fast laps.
By Ferrari and not the FIA though.

From what I've read, the min lap time was already 20 seconds longer than the pole time and the Ferraris were 17 seconds outside that time (1:58 v min lap 1:41 v pole 1:20).

Did any other driver have to avoid impeding and if so, how did it affect their lap times?

JD2168

Max Verstappen has won the Italian Grand Prix from Sergio Perez in second & Carlos Sainz in third. In an entertaining race with plenty of action & overtaking Sainz led the first 14 laps until Max got through, aided by Red Bull’s superior race pace. In the last few laps there was a fierce battle between Sainz & Charles Leclerc for the final podium place which nearly ended with them running into each other at the first chicane. The race was reduced by two laps after Yuki Tsunoda broke down on the formation lap.

davehsug

I wonder what the viewing figures are at this point in the season? I know I'm not really watching anymore, having been an avid viewer for many tens of years. I tend to watch the enf of qualifying, and then the first couple of laps, if he isn't leading, and then switch over once the inevitable happens. It really is killing the season, if not quite yet the sport.

BJames

Established Member
I wonder what the viewing figures are at this point in the season? I know I'm not really watching anymore, having been an avid viewer for many tens of years. I tend to watch the enf of qualifying, and then the first couple of laps, if he isn't leading, and then switch over once the inevitable happens. It really is killing the season, if not quite yet the sport.
Even anecdotally on this thread seems that a few have opted to just watch highlights (I didn't watch today's race) whereas they'd previously have watched every race - I am still watching regularly but I know some of my friends who were sort of the drive-to-survive generation of fans have started tuning out a little now.

kristiang85

Established Member
I found today's race thrilling, personally. I don't mind Max's domination - there's usually lots of other stuff going on and you barely see him in coverage now. My problem is that there are so many races it's impossible for me to commit nearly half my Sundays in a year to watching it. And I can't remember the last time I watched a live qualifying.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Confused why so many say they've stopped watched because one driver is dominating when that is what usually happens in F1.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Confused why so many say they've stopped watched because one driver is dominating when that is what usually happens in F1.

in my case it’s not so much that one driver is dominating, it’s more that the driver that is dominating is such an obnoxious (word removed by request of the moderating team).

Also, I don’t recall one driver dominating to this extent Before, and I’ve been watching for 45 years. Usually a team dominates, and the lead driver in that team won most of the races, but in this case it’s all about one person.

AM9

Veteran Member
in my case it’s not so much that one driver is dominating, it’s more that the driver that is dominating is such an obnoxious (word removed by request of the moderating team).

Also, I don’t recall one driver dominating to this extent Before, and I’ve been watching for 45 years. Usually a team dominates, and the lead driver in that team won most of the races, but in this case it’s all about one person.
I think that his team principal also has a rather unsportsmanlike approach to defending his team as well.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I think that his team principal also has a rather unsportsmanlike approach to defending his team as well.

I did nearly write something about him but I thought the words “(also removed by the moderating team)” may not be acceptable.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Schumacher for Ferrari?

RailWonderer

Established Member
Late 2000s and 2012 was the golden age for F1 in my view. Simpler cars, closer racing, a new world champion every year. I fear a whole generation of potential WCs will retire never having had the chance to fight for a championship - Norris, Leclerc and Russell especially and maybe even one of the younger drivers on the grid (Piastri). Due to holidays I'll miss a couple of races but sod's law dictates somebody who's not Verstappen will win when I'm away. The seasons are too long now every Arab country and American megaconglomerate waves their wallets at the sport now so I can't watch them all.

bspahh

Established Member
Schumacher for Ferrari?
I stopped watching F1 then too. I had been at Imola for the race when Ratzenberger and Senna died, which didn't help.

When Mercedes were dominant, there was usually some competition between their drivers.

tomuk

Established Member
What about the Vettel Red Bull years and poor old Mark 'Multi 21' Webber.

One of my personal experiences of Mr Horner that sums him up was after a Young Driver Test at Silverstone. I was a guest of Lotus\Caterham and had spent the day in the pits\hospitality. After the session the pit lane was opened up and the general admittance spectators let in to look at the show cars setup outside the garages, the real ones being hidden away, and Force India or another low ranked team were doing pit stop practices. Everybody of any importance and most of not all the young\test drivers had disappeared. The only person still hanging around outside the Red Bull garage was one Christian Horner trying to look like he was here for a reason looking at the show car or some tyres stacked up so he could be 'interrupted' by the fans and bask in their admiration as they asked for his autograph and took his picture etc. 'Oh why would you want my picture?', 'Ignore me I'm not even here', 'Really, You want my autograph? I'm nobody important.' It was quite a ridiculous scene.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Both Red Bull cars out in Q2. Lawson in the Alpha Tauri nerfed them both out of the top 10. That's him on the dole ;)

Is this the weekend where the Verstappen zzzzzzzzzzzzz fest ends? Is it? Surely not? Verstappen will cut through the field like a hot knife through butter and win by 17 miles. Wont he?

EDIT - also three stewards enquires for Verstappen for being a silly billy. Nowt will happen obvs because Red Bull, but it is all good fun

EDIT 2: Sainz, Russell, Leclerc, Norris, Hamilton, Magnussen, Alonso, Ocon, Hulkenburg, Lawson.................... Verstappen

Last edited:

BJames

Established Member
Both Red Bull cars out in Q2. Lawson in the Alpha Tauri nerfed them both out of the top 10. That's him on the dole ;)

Is this the weekend where the Verstappen zzzzzzzzzzzzz fest ends? Is it? Surely not? Verstappen will cut through the field like a hot knife through butter and win by 17 miles. Wont he?

EDIT - also three stewards enquires for Verstappen for being a silly billy. Nowt will happen obvs because Red Bull, but it is all good fun

EDIT 2: Sainz, Russell, Leclerc, Norris, Hamilton, Magnussen, Alonso, Ocon, Hulkenburg, Lawson.................... Verstappen
And as if by magic...
Verstappen gets away with all 3 investigations.
I admit I didn't watch quali today so I'm not sure what he did and whether he should have got away with it or not?

I am excited to watch tomorrow's race though, hopefully some good action and I'd love to see someone else finally pip Verstappen to P1.

davehsug

Seems a bit suspicious that at a time when increasing numbers are getting fed-up with F1's predictable nature, suddenly, for no apparent reason, Red Bull are slower than a slow thing on slow day.