• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Probably right that thinking it over Ricciardo has little to lose. What's the game there - get him into the race seat at Red Bull where he left cause Verstappen was there... I suspect Red Bull regret how harsh they were on Albon and Gasly.
Riccardo wasn't well hooked up at McLaren so give him a few races in AT to see whether he still has it is a sensible punt then move Perez.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cloud Strife

Established Member
I wonder if this is to see how good Danny Ricc is now in case they want him to replace Perez in RB.

For sure, it's part of it. Horner is supporting Perez publicly, but it's obvious that this is also about making it clear that his seat will belong to Danny next season if he doesn't pull himself together.

It's sad to see how Perez has crumbled really. He seems to have completely broken after trying to take Max on, and I can't help but wonder if someone wasn't in his ear, telling him that he was capable of beating Max.

birchesgreen

Established Member
For sure, it's part of it. Horner is supporting Perez publicly, but it's obvious that this is also about making it clear that his seat will belong to Danny next season if he doesn't pull himself together.

It's sad to see how Perez has crumbled really. He seems to have completely broken after trying to take Max on, and I can't help but wonder if someone wasn't in his ear, telling him that he was capable of beating Max.
Perez could have been set for a few years as the reliable #2, and who knows maybe he might have won a world championship if Max received a bad injury or a Schmacher-esque points deduction. But no, now he'll be lucky if he has a drive next year.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Perez could have been set for a few years as the reliable #2, and who knows maybe he might have won a world championship if Max received a bad injury or a Schmacher-esque points deduction. But no, now he'll be lucky if he has a drive next year.

I think I even mentioned this on here a while ago, that he was secure as the Red Bull #2 for the length of Max's contract. All he had to do was be there for Max as a reliable driver who could be counted on to cause as much trouble as possible to the other drivers while also being able to step up if needs be. He'd then be in a good position to move to a lower team as their #1 driver on a good salary, just as Bottas has done. Or he could branch out into other parts of the Red Bull empire, leaving him with a solid post-F1 career in whatever.

I understand him, but when the #1 driver is the guy that the entire team is built around, it's really not worth trying to beat him. Bottas got it, Barichello got it, but it seems that Perez wanted it all.

Reports are growing (first from the German press article in the link), that the entries by Andretti-Cadillac and Hitech Grand Prix for 2026 onwards will be accepted by the FIA.

Renault supporting both with the Chassis and Engine through Alpine, is what seemingly has helped win them the day.

The FIA review process should be completed at the end of July, but it is already trickling down that Andretti and Hitech GP could get the green light. The ball is in Formula 1. Theoretically, Liberty can object to the applications. In the Formula 1 headquarters, people deliberately keep a low profile and prefer to let the teams speak for themselves. And with the exception of Alpine, they tend to signal rejection.

Alpine supports the application of new applicants because the French racing team would be the first port of call for engines and a chassis partnership. In fact, all four candidates have already auditioned at Alpine. It is clear to everyone that you can only enter Formula 1 with the Haas-Ferrari model. That would be a welcome source of income for Alpine.

Darandio

Established Member
Hitech will be interesting. The first team to convince Mazepin that he was good enough to race in higher formulas.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Reports are growing (first from the German press article in the link), that the entries by Andretti-Cadillac and Hitech Grand Prix for 2026 onwards will be accepted by the FIA.

Renault supporting both with the Chassis and Engine through Alpine, is what seemingly has helped win them the day.
I thought there was a number of erm "ethical" issues with Hitech which was held to rule them out of the running. Andretti was a shoe in.
Hitech will be interesting. The first team to convince Mazepin that he was good enough to race in higher formulas.
Not just race for them. Daddy Mazepin bought a large chunk of the team

BJames

Established Member
HOLD THE FRONT PAGE: HAMILTON ON POLE!
Very exciting indeed - and another solid start for McLaren with P3 Norris, P4 for Piastri. Hope Hamilton can clinch this one from Red Bull for the first time this season.

In other news Ricciardo outqualified Tsunoda, starting in 13th, and thus Q2 for AlphaTauri (first time since Spain). A solid start from him in hardly the best car out there...

Looking forward to this race now.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Very exciting indeed - and another solid start for McLaren with P3 Norris, P4 for Piastri. Hope Hamilton can clinch this one from Red Bull for the first time this season.

In other news Ricciardo outqualified Tsunoda, starting in 13th, and thus Q2 for AlphaTauri (first time since Spain). A solid start from him in hardly the best car out there...

Looking forward to this race now.
Alfa Romeos on fire too im liking this qualy format

BJames

Established Member
I don't know why I expected any different.

Disappointing start for Hamilton set up Verstappen for another clear victory - although I doubt Hamilton would have been able to hold him off for more than a few laps had he retained the lead at the start.
Alfa Romeos on fire too im liking this qualy format
Good quali but really disappointing race for Zhou

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I literally wait for this post every race weekend.
Sorry you cant cope with accuracy. No other driver looked like winning. Again.

You can pretend that arguing over a battle for 7th is what f1 is about but no one really cares.

This season is a dull procession that will damage f1 a great deal.

SynthD

Established Member
There was a battle for second, third, better than seventh a lot of the race. Try turning your Sky Q or TV or glass to the world feed and off the Verstappen cam. “No one” is inaccurate.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There was a battle for second, third, better than seventh a lot of the race. Try turning your Sky Q or TV or glass to the world feed and off the Verstappen cam. “No one” is inaccurate.
I dont have sky.

I repeat: no one came close to beating verstappen yet we try to pretend that is ok becuase the first losers were all really close together in losing!

Fighting for the win is what matters. There is no fight in f1. The winner is known before the race. Verstappen won by 30+ seconds. Again.

66701GBRF

There wasn't a battle for second. It looked like there may have been towards the end with Perez closing in on Lando but that never materialised. DarloRich's initial assessment of the current state of F1 is entirely accurate as far as I am concerned.

Established Member
Sorry you cant cope with accuracy. No other driver looked like winning. Again.

You can pretend that arguing over a battle for 7th is what f1 is about but no one really cares.

This season is a dull procession that will damage f1 a great deal.
Where on earth have you got that imaginary situation from? All said is that I wait for your post after every session - I never said any of the other things you're moaning about and in fact have said the opposite on many occasions

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Where on earth have you got that imaginary situation from? All said is that I wait for your post after every session - I never said any of the other things you're moaning about and in fact have said the opposite on many occasions
fair enough and I apologise - I see so many people trying to pretend that things are all ok in F1 and they just aren't.

EDIT = pitting aside grumpiness there are some positive:

Hamilton took pole
McLaren looked competitive again
Norris looked good

On the negative side: Perez sliced through the field quite easily.

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I don't know why I expected any different.

Disappointing start for Hamilton set up Verstappen for another clear victory - although I doubt Hamilton would have been able to hold him off for more than a few laps had he retained the lead at the start.

Good quali but really disappointing race for Zhou
Yup but had to wait on C4 to see Zhou louse it up at the start!

JD2168

Historical win for Max Verstappen, including Abu Dhabi at the end of 2022 Red Bull have now won 12 races in a row, beating the 11 races in a row held by McLaren in 1988 with their MP4/4 with Ayrton Senna & Alain Prost as drivers. Max’s win today was the biggest winning margin of the season so far with a very good drive from Lando Norris.

Sergio Perez podium occurred at a very timely moment as pressure has been mounting recently with poor qualifying & races & the return of Daniel Ricciardo at Alpha Tauri putting pressure on him.

Mogster

We’ll see. The British motorsports press have been taking the “this isn’t happening“ line for the last couple of months. There was a recent article in “The Race”. I do feel that the FIA must be running out of reasons to not approve the Andretti bid and FOM is looking increasingly at odds with what most fans appear to want.

I do hope it happens, a bit of churn in the teams roster wouldn’t go amis, the current setup has the look of a cartel. Another 4 Seats for drivers wouldn’t be a positive thing and it would be interesting to see how quickly 2 totally ground up outfits can get on the pace.

I do feel that Oliver Oaks (Hitech GP) and the Andretti’s are the type of people F1 should be bending over backwards to attract (and Trevor Carlin and the Rosins) They are racers in the Frank Williams and Ken Tyrell mould, their business is just racing, they already run teams in many international series, and so have no reason to leave F1 once they get their feet under the table. Compare these people with vehicle manufacturers that can up and leave from one year to the next. Usually when the CEO changes or the board members decide a different direction would please the shareholders.

gswindale

Historical win for Max Verstappen, including Abu Dhabi at the end of 2022 Red Bull have now won 12 races in a row, beating the 11 races in a row held by McLaren in 1988 with their MP4/4 with Ayrton Senna & Alain Prost as drivers.
I would still suggest though that the McLaren achievement is much more impressive when you take into account the mechanical reliability of cars back then compared to now.

sannox

I would still suggest though that the McLaren achievement is much more impressive when you take into account the mechanical reliability of cars back then compared to now.

Swings and roundabouts though, as you had the ability to change more parts and engines than you do now. The reliability of the modern cars is phenomenal.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Max Verstappen will have five-place grid penalty for Belgium GP - it is ok. He will still win!

BBC:
Red Bull's Max Verstappen will have a five-place grid penalty for the Belgian Grand Prix as a result of using too many gearbox parts.

The punishment will apply for Sunday's grand prix and not Saturday's 'sprint'.

The penalty has not been officially confirmed, but BBC Sport has verified it with senior figures in Red Bull.

gswindale

So, he'll be starting 6th on the grid and be up to 1st by lap 4 and then we can all switch off.

Unless, of course, we get a repeat of 2021 due to the weather, in which case we may actually get a non Red Bull winner!