• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JD2168

Very good race today. Lando Norris deservedly got driver of the day for an excellent drive to second place. Max Verstappen won but had to overtake Norris after a poor getaway. Lewis lucked into his podium for third place after getting a bit lucky with the Virtual/Full safety car denying Oscar Piastri his first podium.

Ferrari were caught out by the virtual/full safety car as this allowed Hamilton & Alonso to jump ahead of them. They also chose the Hard tyre which was not the best choice as tyre warm up was poor on this tyre & pace was barely any better than the soft tyre which went much better than previously thought after practice.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
STOP PRESS: Verstappen wins another grand prix. Yawn.

"There as an exciting battle for 12th place" Yawn.

There was a moment of excitement in this race as Norris lead for a few seconds but Verstappen just powered past and into the distance. Verstappen even had DRS to make the pass even easier!

Max: Take a few moths off. Let someone else have go please!

( Yes F1 has had dominance before but not like Red Bull this season. There is no challenge to Verstappen of any kind. This championship is a gift. He isn't even trying)
Disagree. Yes he was quicker than McLaren but he said they were pushing him and it wasn’t easy. Particularly at the end.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
STOP PRESS: Verstappen wins another grand prix. Yawn.

"There as an exciting battle for 12th place" Yawn.

There was a moment of excitement in this race as Norris lead for a few seconds but Verstappen just powered past and into the distance. Verstappen even had DRS to make the pass even easier!

Max: Take a few moths off. Let someone else have go please!

( Yes F1 has had dominance before but not like Red Bull this season. There is no challenge to Verstappen of any kind. This championship is a gift. He isn't even trying)
No difference from Mercedes dominating a few years ago just the way cookie crumbles in this sport. Also this is largely about Verstappen skill as a driver not just the car as we can see Perez could only mix it up when the virtual safety car helped him up the order. Then you have Albion showing great pace as well. Most importantly most the coverage these days follows the action not just Verstappen out in front.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Same comment made after every race

YAWN
Sorry (not sorry) you have problems with accuracy

Disagree. Yes he was quicker than McLaren but he said they were pushing him and it wasn’t easy. Particularly at the end.
Verstappen was under no threat. The safety car bunched the field up to make it look a bit closer. It was another demonstration run.
No difference from Mercedes dominating a few years ago just the way cookie crumbles in this sport. Also this is largely about Verstappen skill as a driver not just the car as we can see Perez could only mix it up when the virtual safety car helped him up the order. Then you have Albion showing great pace as well. Most importantly most the coverage these days follows the action not just Verstappen out in front.
It is very different imo. Periods of domination in other times have involved competition either within the dominant team between their drivers or from another teams/teams and/or other drivers.

There is no threat to Verstappen at present. He is a fantastic driver in a fantastic car but he doesn't have to try. No one is pushing him close, he isn't fighting hard to win races, the lights go green and he wins. If he was a constructor he would be winning the constructors championship, that's how dominant he is!

Things are bad when we are saying apart from the best driver strolling to the championship it is a really fun championship!

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Sorry (not sorry) you have problems with accuracy

Verstappen was under no threat. The safety car bunched the field up to make it look a bit closer. It was another demonstration run.

It is very different imo. Periods of domination in other times have involved competition either within the dominant team between their drivers or from another teams/teams and/or other drivers.

There is no threat to Verstappen at present. He is a fantastic driver in a fantastic car but he doesn't have to try. No one is pushing him close, he isn't fighting hard to win races, the lights go green and he wins. If he was a constructor he would be winning the constructors championship, that's how dominant he is!

Things are bad when we are saying apart from the best driver strolling to the championship it is a really fun championship!
Indeed but take him out of the equation and the field is more even than has been for years.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I am surprised they didn't give the safety car a track limits violation on lap 38...
Black and white flag for Bernd Mayländer!

Indeed but take him out of the equation and the field is more even than has been for years.
We cant though - that is the problem. I don't mind Verstappen and Red Bull winning loads of races. That happens in F1. I would prefer that they had to actually beat people though! There is no jeopardy in relation to the title. No one will care in a few years that, Verstappen apart, the field was even.

The easy dominance of Red Bull & Verstappen will turn off viewers and thus advertisers. It is already happening in my group of friends, even with people who support Red Bull. These are long term F1 fans not watching the live race or the C4 highlights. How many of the Drive to Survive generation are turning off?

75A

Established Member
Black and white flag for Bernd Mayländer!

We cant though - that is the problem. I don't mind Verstappen and Red Bull winning loads of races. That happens in F1. I would prefer that they had to actually beat people though! There is no jeopardy in relation to the title. No one will care in a few years that, Verstappen apart, the field was even.

The easy dominance of Red Bull & Verstappen will turn off viewers and thus advertisers. It is already happening in my group of friends, even with people who support Red Bull. These are long term F1 fans not watching the live race or the C4 highlights. How many of the Drive to Survive generation are turning off?
I gave up watching (and marshalling) Grand Prix's a few you ago. I find Indy Car much more exciting.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I gave up watching (and marshalling) Grand Prix's a few you ago. I find Indy Car much more exciting.
but they only turn left ;) The bits I have seen of it look close racing but it is on subscription TV and I am too tight to pay for it!

75A

Established Member
but they only turn left ;) The bits I have seen of it look close racing but it is on subscription TV and I am too tight to pay for it!
The only turn left on 'Ovals' but on 'normal' race tracks & 'road courses' they go left & right.
Liveries are good, cars in the same team do not have to have the same colours which makes identifying your favourite driver easier.
So far this year there've been 5 different winners in the 9 races held, so more interesting than F1 for sure.
Yes I have to pay to watch it, but it's on the same provider as the Cricket which is good for me.

sannox

Verstappen is completely dominant. It happens, he's a really great driver in a great car and Red Bull haven't been making many mistakes strategy or otherwise really which is incredible.

Teams will catch up - but changes in dominance seem to last longer now.

I agree that teammates to Hamilton were closer but 2015 and 2020 felt similar for Hamilton. Not to mention Schumacher in 2002, which is as close to this as we can get!

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Fair point they at least pushed each other to the limit Bottas was just a bag carrier.

Perez has shown flashes of brilliance but has lost his way last few races reckon Gasly, Ocon or Albon would outperform him now but would RB go outside of their junior potential?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
In not very surprising news Nyck de Vries has been dropped by Alpha Tauri and replaced by Daniel Ricciardo for the rest of the season

Daniel Ricciardo is making a surprising return to Formula 1 and will drive for Red Bull's sister team Alpha Tauri for the rest of the season.

A0wen

On Moderation
In not very surprising news Nyck de Vries has been dropped by Alpha Tauri and replaced by Daniel Ricciardo for the rest of the season

The disturbing part of it is that Mazepin got a whole season of utter incompetence on the track, Latifi and Mick Schumacher got 2 seasons to prove they weren't good enough, yet De Vries is dropped less than halfway through the season - and the Alpha Tauri is giving the Haas a run for its money as the worst car on the grid this season.

JD2168

I wonder if this is to see how good Danny Ricc is now in case they want him to replace Perez in RB.
That is my thought exactly as it was clearly mentioned that Ricciardo is ‘on loan’ to Alpha Tauri. If he was not in title contention in Super Formula in Japan Liam Lawson would have been a contender for the seat at this moment, probably more likely next year.

The disturbing part of it is that Mazepin got a whole season of utter incompetence on the track, Latifi and Mick Schumacher got 2 seasons to prove they weren't good enough, yet De Vries is dropped less than halfway through the season - and the Alpha Tauri is giving the Haas a run for its money as the worst car on the grid this season.
Remember Nyck De Vries was not Helmut Mario’s first choice, that was INDYCAR driver Colton Herta who couldn’t get a Super Licence so he was under pressure from the start.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Mazepin and Latifi came with pots of cash

SynthD

Established Member
That is my thought exactly as it was clearly mentioned that Ricciardo is ‘on loan’ to Alpha Tauri.
Every driver in that teams history has been on loan from Red Bull since they bought it.

sannox

De Vries hasn't been completely awful so it seems a bit harsh given Alphatauri is one of the slowest cars. I can't imagine you'd perform well in that kind of atmosphere and not the first time Red Bull have made such a move - Gasly and Albon both went on to show talent post Red Bull sackings.

Looking at Ricciardo I think there is a risk to go there. It's doesn't look like a points scoring car, but if he jumps in, regularly outqualifies Tsunoda and gets points he'll be looking at a race seat. If the opposite happens and he's beaten by Tsunoda and is regularly out in Q1 and traipsing around the rear of the field you'd say it could finish his F1 career after McLaren.

najaB

Veteran Member
De Vries hasn't been completely awful so it seems a bit harsh given Alphatauri is one of the slowest cars.
The problem isn't that DeVries has been slow, it's that he's been consistently slower than Tsunoda.
Looking at Ricciardo I think there is a risk to go there. It's doesn't look like a points scoring car, but if he jumps in, regularly outqualifies Tsunoda and gets points he'll be looking at a race seat. If the opposite happens and he's beaten by Tsunoda and is regularly out in Q1 and traipsing around the rear of the field you'd say it could finish his F1 career after McLaren.
The opposite problem would be if he didn't go and the seat went to someone else who consistently out-classed Tsunoda - who would be in first place for the Red Bull seat next year?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
What doe she have to lose? If it goes badly he retires from F1 and does Indy Car or Le mans. If it goes well he can push for the Perez seat at RB. I bet that is vacant at the end of the year.

Perez might be gone already if they had anyone to replace him. They seem to Like Liam Lawson and Colton Herta but both are unavailable at this moment

sannox

The problem isn't that DeVries has been slow, it's that he's been consistently slower than Tsunoda.
The opposite problem would be if he didn't go and the seat went to someone else who consistently out-classed Tsunoda - who would be in first place for the Red Bull seat next year?
What doe she have to lose? If it goes badly he retires from F1 and does Indy Car or Le mans. If it goes well he can push for the Perez seat at RB. I bet that is vacant at the end of the year.

Perez might be gone already if they had anyone to replace him. They seem to Like Liam Lawson and Colton Herta but both are unavailable at this moment
I still think De Vries has been harshly dealt with. He wasn't terrible and he's got decent pedigree. I'd have probably understood it if it was for Lawson or another junior driver than Ricciardo.

Herta was apparently the first choice for Alphatauri but FIA wouldn't give him a superlicense. Given Marko's comments in the press, abundantly clear that DeVries wasn't exactly wanted by all at Red Bull and given his age, along with not investing much in his career it was inevitable I guess. He'll get another gig somewhere outside F1.

Probably right that thinking it over Ricciardo has little to lose. What's the game there - get him into the race seat at Red Bull where he left cause Verstappen was there... I suspect Red Bull regret how harsh they were on Albon and Gasly.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I still think De Vries has been harshly dealt with. He wasn't terrible and he's got decent pedigree.
he hasn't performed better than his younger and less experienced team mate - that is the big problem - he was brought in as the experienced racer to move the team forward. He must have known Red Bull and thier history for pulling the trigger on drivers they don't like!
I suspect Red Bull regret how harsh they were on Albon and Gasly.
I bet they don't!

get him into the race seat at Red Bull where he left cause Verstappen was there.

He didn't leave BECUASE Verstappen was there. He left because a kid was made one of the highest paid drivers in F1 and he wasn't valued in the way he expected or thought he deserved. He also didn't think a "kid" should come in as number 1 driver ahead of a more experienced driver.

Last edited: