• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

JohnMcL7

Isn't the big difference from the McLaren situation that they'll be evolving the successful engine in the back of the Red Bull, rather than starting from scratch?
I wonder what F1 would look like if McLaren had stuck it out and managed to get the engine that Red Bull eventually got.
I don't think they would have as there were claims made after that Honda found it difficult McLaren difficult to work with and kept putting all the blame on Honda, when Honda changed to Red Bull they were a much more willing partner in working to develop the engine.

You're right it's different for Aston Martin now as they're taking on a mature engine although I don't know if they'll have issues with the physical shape of the engine which was a problem for Red Bull and the Renault engine while Mercedes at the time were able to build the car and engine together which Red Bull were then able to do with the Honda engine.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tomuk

Established Member
I don't think they would have as there were claims made after that Honda found it difficult McLaren difficult to work with and kept putting all the blame on Honda, when Honda changed to Red Bull they were a much more willing partner in working to develop the engine.

You're right it's different for Aston Martin now as they're taking on a mature engine although I don't know if they'll have issues with the physical shape of the engine which was a problem for Red Bull and the Renault engine while Mercedes at the time were able to build the car and engine together which Red Bull were then able to do with the Honda engine.
But who was at the Honda Aston Martin announcement non other then Mr Martin Whitmarsh ex McLaren now Aston Martin Group CEO of Performance Technologies

1Q18

But who was at the Honda Aston Martin announcement non other then Mr Martin Whitmarsh ex McLaren now Aston Martin Group CEO of Performance Technologies
Martin Whitmarsh left McLaren in 2014, before the team started using Honda engines.

tomuk

Established Member
Martin Whitmarsh left McLaren in 2014, before the team started using Honda engines.
Ron Dennis took over from Whitmarsh in Jan 2014, Honda engines were used from 2015 season the Honda deal would have been in the works before then. The first McLaren Honda test was in in November 2014, you don't build a new engine and car in 10 months.

1Q18

Ron Dennis took over from Whitmarsh in Jan 2014, Honda engines were used from 2015 season the Honda deal would have been in the works before then. The first McLaren Honda test was in in November 2014, you don't build a new engine and car in 10 months.
So what? Maybe he was involved at the very start, but clearly he was not around for the vast majority of the McLaren-Honda relationship.

tomuk

Established Member
So what? Maybe he was involved at the very start, but clearly he was not around for the vast majority of the McLaren-Honda relationship.
The point is he was the one behind the Honda McLaren partnership. Here he is in 2013 at the announcement. Looks eerily familiar to the Honda Aston announcement.
15e7ddee7c95eb5440d54a5d04d19764544f4862.jpg

gswindale

I'm not overly surprised by the Aston Martin / Honda deal given Martin Whitmarsh's involvement in AM.

I believe he was the one behind the McLaren tie up but Ron ousted him before it got going.

He saw the potential, but internal politics at McLaren took a turn for the worse which resulted in him and then Ron both leaving.

Would it have made much difference if Martin had stayed? Who knows, but maybe him & Ron would have had a better relationship with Honda.

JD2168

Incredible qualifying at Monaco, wow that conclusion!
Fully agree one of the best qualifying sessions for a while. Max Verstappen pulling that out of the bag in the final sector, he was .250 down before the final sector but on pole by .084 ahead of Fernando Alonso.

Charles Leclerc has been given a three place grid penalty after blocking Lando Norris in the Tunnel.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Fully agree one of the best qualifying sessions for a while. Max Verstappen pulling that out of the bag in the final sector, he was .250 down before the final sector but on pole by .084 ahead of Fernando Alonso.

Charles Leclerc has been given a three place grid penalty after blocking Lando Norris in the Tunnel.
Ferrari really can't get there act together at times Leclerc should have been told by the team position of drivers on hot laps but am very pleased that it gives Ocon a chance as he was absolutely on it

Established Member
At least the rain made it slightly more interesting.

JD2168

Was a good race today, intriguing particularly when the rain came. There was more overtaking today than a usual race at Monaco. Red Bull got their pit stop right when going into Intermediates whilst Aston Martin made the error of putting Alonso on Mediums.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Well i guess Alonso was in the right place to make such a gamble! But like most gamblers he lost.

Thought it was a great race.

Established Member
Well i guess Alonso was in the right place to make such a gamble! But like most gamblers he lost.

Thought it was a great race.
I wouldn't say he lost, as he ended up exactly where he otherwise would have been.

But he certainly didn't gain anything out of it.

Howardh

Established Member
The disappointment for me yesterday was the intrigue of Perez (last on the grid) pitting early for hards to last him the race, how he would have got on if he hadn't kept bumping into other cars requiring further pit-stops! Might have got to around 10th and then if he had put on intermediates anticipating the rain first...who knows? But he certainly couldn't have overtaken his way into the top 10.

Established Member
It was a good race if you keep track and watch just about everyone apart from Max!
Merc seem to be performing better, and Ferrari were not so bad today either. Hope that further upgrades can bring the teams closer together for more competition.

JD2168

We got better racing this year at Barcelona with the return of the quicker final two corners. Max was his usual good but needless with the Track Limit issues. Very good race today from Mercedes, the Ferrari & Aston Martin race pace for me was disappointing today.

Shame about the first lap contact for Lando Norris, would have been interesting to see where he would have finished.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Despite Red Bull dominating I’ve been fascinated by this season, particularly Fernando Alonso in the Aston Martin, it’s great seeing him make a good career move after quite a while making bad ones.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Despite Red Bull dominating I’ve been fascinated by this season, particularly Fernando Alonso in the Aston Martin, it’s great seeing him make a good career move after quite a while making bad ones.
fascinating is not the word I would use! Verstappen could rock up on Sunday lunchtime, not bother with any of that tedious practice or qualification stuff, start from the pit lane after a good lunch, at each pit stop have a brew and a fag while they change the wheels and still win by a mile.

Alonso has been ok and that has been fun to see but things are going his way. Lets see when things aren't going his way how quickly he goes back to being the usual grumpy Alonso ;) ( or how long he can continue being nice to Lance Stroll! It wont last!)

PG

Established Member
Verstappen could rock up on Sunday lunchtime, not bother with any of that tedious practice or qualification stuff, start from the pit lane after a good lunch, at each pit stop have a brew and a fag while they change the wheels and still win by a mile.
Sounds like an excerpt from the James Hunt school of motor racing! Someone should give Alonso a bag of sugar and some red bull mechanics overalls ;)

It'll be interesting to see if Mercedes continue to improve - no doubt they've been shown up somewhat by a customer team in Aston Martin thus far.

Established Member
fascinating is not the word I would use! Verstappen could rock up on Sunday lunchtime, not bother with any of that tedious practice or qualification stuff, start from the pit lane after a good lunch, at each pit stop have a brew and a fag while they change the wheels and still win by a mile.
This is another one of those rare occasions in this thread where we 100% agree with each other :lol:

Following a wet and fun Quali in Canada, 4 three place grid penalties were dished out overnight:

- Hulkenburg for speeding under Red Flag conditions; now starts 5th
- Sainz for impeding Gasly; now starts 11th
- Stroll for impeding Ocon; now starts 16th
- Tsunoda for impeding Hulkenburg; now starts 19th

Still, the experience of Hulkenburg, Albon and Norris in the conditions really came to the forefront last night.

And great to see Piastri be in the Top 10 again; he is beginning to really get into the groove.

Unless Max has an issue, it will be a cracking Race for P2 and P3.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Sounds like an excerpt from the James Hunt school of motor racing!
Oh no. The James Hunt school of motor racing would require many more air hostess/playboy models/bond girls, much, much more booze and fags and most importantly: Personality!

JD2168

Max Verstappen has won the Canadian Grand Prix from Fernando Alonso in second & Lewis Hamilton in third. George Russell triggered an early safety car after hitting the wall on the exit of turn nine. There was a decent race between Alonso & Hamilton during the race but the entertainment towards the end was the dispute for seventh place which Alex Albon gained just ahead of Esteban Ocon with Lando Norris, Valtteri Bottas, Lance Stroll & Oscar Piastri. Lando Norris had a 5 second penalty for holding other cars up in the safety car triggered pit stops.

Established Member
George Russell triggered an early safety car after hitting the wall on the exit of turn nine.
QbPiPwM.jpg

Also worth noting that Max went up on a sausage curb and admitted on the radio it almost took him out of the race. Second time in two races he's been pushing despite having a comfortable gap.