• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

GB

Established Member
Today is crunch time for Lewis regarding racing in Abu Dhabi. If he can't get a negative corona result, he won't be able to be in the car on Saturday, ruling him out for Sunday.

Does not running Saturday actually discount him for Sunday? I thought it was just the car that technically qualified not the driver (though I would expect a replacement driver to start at the back or from the pits).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jb108822

Haas in controversy once again. The whole Rich Energy saga was bad enough, but now Mazepin's done this? Ooh, boy. It's like he's trying to kill his F1 career before it's even started. The way he was driving in the F2 race at Sakhir was completely unacceptable, leaving zero room for other drivers he was overtaking. His 'apology' for this latest thing doesn't seem like an actual apology at all, and the girl involved seems to be defending him, though it does seem like a potentially dictated response. There are also allegations that on one of George Russell's Instagram Stories posts, Mazepin implied that George is gay. Like...Why should that matter? Course, there's the whole anti-gay message being pushed in Russia, so I kinda understand it from that POV, but it doesn't make it OK. It's not Mazepin's business to speculate on another driver's sexuality. Whether George is gay or not doesn't matter to me. What matters is the kind of driver he is, and he's frankly excellent. For the record, I judge every driver based on their ability behind the wheel, and the same goes for any sportsperson. Personality's also important, in that you can like someone's ability to do their job but dislike their personality, and vice versa.

JamesT

Established Member
Does not running Saturday actually discount him for Sunday? I thought it was just the car that technically qualified not the driver (though I would expect a replacement driver to start at the back or from the pits).
There's this regulation[1] which would appear to stop having a driver parachuted in for just the race itself:
31.1 No driver may start in the race without taking part in at least one practice session.
The section following that on the grid spends lots of its time talking about drivers rather than cars, not sure how you could have another driver qualify for you.

There's also the hassle of having to reconfigure the car for a different driver. I think the team would much rather have the same driver in a car for the whole weekend to avoid any more messing around than necessary.

[1] From https://www.fia.com/sites/default/f...porting_regulations_-_iss_14_-_2020-11-23.pdf

Domh245

Established Member
I saw this elsewhere in relation to the latest Mazepin controversy, but I love it so much I think I'll adopt it myself:

Classic Makita. What a tool.

Geezertronic

Established Member
If the rumour mill is to be believed (big pinch of salt), Russell and Bottas could be swapping cars next season in what I can only describe would be a Gasly-type situation. Purely speculation at this time and probably internet waffle but the assumption was made (not by me but by The Express and picked up by PlanetF1 as well) on the basis that Russell has removed all Williams references from his Instagram bio and Bottas has similarly removed a Mercedes tag from his.

Again purely speculation - Mercedes for their part have denied it. Be interesting to see how Bottas would react to such a move if it was to ever happen

Domh245

Established Member
Not only that, but Bottas took a picture of a large W shaped statue in Abu Dhabi.. Mercedes' social media has this to say about it:

EovKn16W4AM9uyX

It's just an Instagram bio, Don't overthink it

It is The Express after all

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Just the Thursday press conference attendee list. Note Mercedes & Williams

JamesT

Established Member
Officially Mercedes are still saying they're waiting on Hamilton and if he's fit by Saturday then he's in. But as he's not travelled to Abu Dhabi yet they may as well carry on with Russell, rather than sending him back to Williams and then having to ask for him again if Hamilton doesn't make it.

Darandio

Established Member
George back in the car for Abu Dhabi, that's really good news.

Although it's becoming more likely it isn't confirmation, Mercedes have to submit two drivers for the Thursday press conferences.

Officially Mercedes still want a Covid test tomorrow and a private plane is waiting to bring Hamilton in.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Lewis has to spend 48 hours in isolation and keep getting negative results before he can rejoin his bubble. If it was happening, it would've happened by now as he has to take part in at least 1 practice session.

D365

Veteran Member
I don't like him because he wins too much and it gets boring. I stopped watching F1 for about 3 years during Schumacher's domination i've come close this year too heh.

You dislike someone, as a person, because they are one of the kingpins of a mega-successful racing organisation?

If there's a racing driver who I dislike, it's Mazepin. And that's putting it politely. Ever since he punched Illot, it has been obvious that he is not a nice person.

There's this regulation[1] which would appear to stop having a driver parachuted in for just the race itself:

The section following that on the grid spends lots of its time talking about drivers rather than cars, not sure how you could have another driver qualify for you.

Toyota tried to enter Kobayashi for the 2009 Japanese Grand Prix after Glock crashed out in qualifying, but were not allowed to enter him for the race because of those rule.

greatvoyager

Established Member
Lewis has to spend 48 hours in isolation and keep getting negative results before he can rejoin his bubble. If it was happening, it would've happened by now as he has to take part in at least 1 practice session.
Is there still 3rd practice on Saturday for Abu Dhabi?

Domh245

Established Member

There is a third practice session on the saturday morning yes, but don't forget that qualifying is strictly speaking "Qualifying Practice" - taking part in that is enough to be OK to race

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
There is a third practice session on the saturday morning yes, but don't forget that qualifying is strictly speaking "Qualifying Practice" - taking part in that is enough to be OK to race
Well qualifying starts in less than 48 hours, so if he hasn't arrived there by now, Lewis is not coming.

Domh245

Established Member
Well qualifying starts in less than 48 hours, so if he hasn't arrived there by now, Lewis is not coming.

Yes and no - if Lewis were to turn up tomorrow or Saturday, I don't think Abu Dhabi/the UAE would particularly stop him from entering, particularly with the other quarantine measures in place but it is becoming abundantly clear from he won't be driving this weekend

Darandio

Established Member

Mercedes have tweeted it, it's also on many outlets now.

"The Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team is pleased to confirm that Lewis Hamilton will drive for the team in this weekend's Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

"Lewis tested negative for COVID-19 on Wednesday prior to completion of his self-isolation period in Bahrain.

"This enabled him to travel to Abu Dhabi on Thursday afternoon, and he tested negative on arrival.

"Lewis has therefore completed the protocols required by the FIA for his entry to the paddock tomorrow and will be able to take part in the race weekend.

"George Russell will return to Williams Racing for the final event of the 2020 season."

GB

Established Member
Thanks. At the time of my post no outlets had posted anything and I am not on Twitter.

Disappointing news as far as I am concerned though.

GB

Established Member
Not just about Russell getting another chance or not...I usually find it a borefest when Hamilton leads off into the distance not to be seen again.

Not just about Russell getting another chance or not...I usually find it a borefest when Hamilton leads off into the distance not to be seen again.
Well maybe but up to the other drivers particularly Bottas to step it up and the other teams to step up their cars, yes it would be interesting to see Russell race again, but its Hamiltons Car and his contract to drive for them if he is fit and a racing end to his championship winning season, addmitidly it would be quite funny for him to try the Williams for one race but I don't think he would see it that way.