• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Geezertronic

Established Member
Even Schumacher was happy to return favours once he'd won the WDC, as we saw at places like Indy. So was Senna, so was Mansell, although I always got the impression Mansell was really rubbing Patrese's face in it.

Verstappen has referred to a perceived slight, which is rumoured to be that he thinks Perez deliberately crashed in Monaco. I don't see that Perez did deliberately crash, but it's the sort of thing Verstappen would do. And I think Max thinks that because *he* would do it, so would everybody else.

I don't believe RedBull have ever achieved a 1-2 in the Drivers Championship so if this act of petulance from Max does have an impact on that result, then he should get the book thrown at him. Very unlikely as they treat him with kid gloves as they did with Vettel (the Vettel/Webber crash at Turkey 2010 and Multi21 at Malaysia 2013 spring to mind)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JD2168

Great first win for Russell, makes up for the disappointment he encountered at Sakhir 2020 when subbing for Lewis Hamilton.

I think the Verstappen not giving the place back to Perez may have something to do with Monaco when Perez crashed in Q3 at Portier preventing a number of drivers from improving.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Great first win for Russell, makes up for the disappointment he encountered at Sakhir 2020 when subbing for Lewis Hamilton.

I think the Verstappen not giving the place back to Perez may have something to do with Monaco when Perez crashed in Q3 at Portier preventing a number of drivers from improving.
Its a bit petty of him especially as Perez has been gracious enough to let him by on several occasions this season and Verstappen has even thanked him for his support

kristiang85

Established Member
Why does everyone care about second place all of a sudden? I never saw drivers making a big deal of it before. Both Leclerc and Checo seem to really want it. Also, on that note, I'm surprised Mercedes are gunning all out for second place in the constructors as it will limit their development time for next year, and it's not like they need the prize money.

I think the media are stirring things up a lot more than they would normally be, but Checo was obviously upset. However I'm sure it will be water under the bridge by now, as he can't beat Max over a season and if he leaves Red Bull I doubt there will be space elsewhere.

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Why does everyone care about second place all of a sudden? I never saw drivers making a big deal of it before. Both Leclerc and Checo seem to really want it. Also I'm surprised Mercedes are gunning all out for second place as it will limit their development time for next year, and it's not like they need the prize money.

I think the media are stirring things up a lot more than they would normally be, but Checo was obviously upset. However I'm sure it will be water under the bridge by now, as he can't beat Max over a season and if he leaves Red Bull I doubt there will be space elsewhere.
For sure Perez had his comment yesterday and that will be the end of it from his perspective

Geezertronic

Established Member
Why does everyone care about second place all of a sudden? I never saw drivers making a big deal of it before. Both Leclerc and Checo seem to really want it. Also, on that note, I'm surprised Mercedes are gunning all out for second place in the constructors as it will limit their development time for next year, and it's not like they need the prize money.

RedBull have never had a 1-2 in the Drivers Championship so to be able to do so would presumably be in their best interests since Mercedes have done that for fun in the Hybrid era.

Bungle73

On Moderation
The revolving door of Ferrari team principles continues....

Mattia Binotto is to leave his position as Ferrari team principal at the end of the year.

A statement from Ferrari on Tuesday said the 53-year-old had resigned from his role and that the process to identify a replacement was "underway".
Binotto, who has been with Ferrari since 1995, said: "With the regret that this entails, I have decided to conclude my collaboration with Ferrari.

"It is right to take this step, as hard as this decision has been for me."

Binotto worked his way up through the company to first head the engine department, then be technical director of the entire F1 team and finally to lead it.

He leaves at the end of a season in which Ferrari achieved their goals of returning to winning races, but which was marked by a series of reliability failures and operational errors.

Binotto said: "I am leaving a company that I love, which I have been part of for 28 years, with the serenity that comes from the conviction that I have made every effort to achieve the objectives set.

"I leave a united and growing team. A strong team, ready, I'm sure, to achieve the highest goals, to which I wish all the best for the future."

Ferrari chief executive officer Benedetto Vigna thanked Binotto and wished him well, adding that his work meant the team were "in a strong position to renew our challenge, above all for our amazing fans around the world, to win the ultimate prize in motorsport".

Alfa Romeo team principal Frederic Vasseur has been tipped as Binotto's replacement.

najaB

Veteran Member
Changing the leader wont end the problems in the Ferrari teams unless the rest of the team is changed at the same time.
The problems do seem to be more than one person, that's for sure. They need a whole new approach to their strategy calls, but this year's car was fundamentally strong (cooling issues aside) and the garage side of things wasn't too bad - they got the car to the track every time and there weren't too many disastrous pit stops.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The problems do seem to be more than one person, that's for sure. They need a whole new approach to their strategy calls, but this year's car was fundamentally strong (cooling issues aside) and the garage side of things wasn't too bad - they got the car to the track every time and there weren't too many disastrous pit stops.
Maybe they just need to open a factory in the English Midlands somewhere… 8-)8-)

Last edited:

RailWonderer

Established Member
Reliability was not on par with Red Bull, and I think even without those strategy errors they didn't have the pace after the summer break to challenge RB. That said they would have been much closer in points without the errors.

This last 24 hours has been madness, with the following moves in Management circles:

- Jost Capito: Williams Team Principal to Retirement (according to there Press Release) - https://www.williamsf1.com/posts/e4627d1e-f53a-449a-9a3b-6ae210556372/williams-racing-announcement

- Frédéric Vasseur: Sauber Group
CEO to Ferrari Team Principal - https://www.ferrari.com/en-EN/corpo...eur-appointed-scuderia-ferrari-team-principal

- Andreas Seidl: McLaren Team Principal to Sauber Group CEO; (in prep for AUDI’s arrival) - https://www.sauber-group.com/motors...nts-andreas-seidl-as-chief-executive-officer/

- Andrea Stella: McLaren Executive Director to McLaren Team Principal - https://www.mclaren.com/racing/team...a-stella-new-team-principal-immediate-effect/

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
This last 24 hours has been madness, with the following moves in Management circles:

- Jost Capito: Williams Team Principal to Retirement (according to there Press Release) - https://www.williamsf1.com/posts/e4627d1e-f53a-449a-9a3b-6ae210556372/williams-racing-announcement

- Frédéric Vasseur: Sauber Group
CEO to Ferrari Team Principal - https://www.ferrari.com/en-EN/corpo...eur-appointed-scuderia-ferrari-team-principal

- Andreas Seidl: McLaren Team Principal to Sauber Group CEO; (in prep for AUDI’s arrival) - https://www.sauber-group.com/motors...nts-andreas-seidl-as-chief-executive-officer/

- Andrea Stella: McLaren Executive Director to McLaren Team Principal - https://www.mclaren.com/racing/team...a-stella-new-team-principal-immediate-effect/
This is getting interesting - who's not going to have a chair when the music stops?

gswindale

This is getting interesting - who's not going to have a chair when the music stops?
Either Toto or Horner :D

Interesting that the 2 most successful teams of the last 12 years have had consistent management up top - shows how important is to think long term rather than just a couple of years ahead.

Can't see Vasseur lasting long at Ferrari unless the 2023 car from Binotto is decent and the strategy guys improve.

With Capito going from Williams, does this lead to an opportunity for Porsche or do we think they may approach McLaren?

PG

Established Member

DarloRich

Veteran Member
it was nice to see the Red Bull RB7 make an appearance in Milton Keynes on Saturday as part of the Red Bull Home run 2022. I will share some pics in due course.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Interesting that the 2 most successful teams of the last 12 years have had consistent management up top - shows how important is to think long term rather than just a couple of years ahead.

The same can be said for any business, really. But when you look at the complexity of an F1 team, it actually doesn't make sense to get rid of the boss quickly, because they should be focusing more on the business side of the operations. Neither Toto nor Horner are really engineering types, but both of them are absolutely fantastic at the business part. They know enough to know that they need a #2 who can manage the technical side of the sport, and both Newey and Allison are fantastic at what they do. But it's not only that: if you look at the next level down, Mercedes have people like Andrew Shovlin who have been there for years, and this is where a lot of teams simply go wrong.

Andretti and Cadillac announce there intention to seek to enter Formula 1, once the FIA opens up Expression of Interests for New Teams - which it looks like they will do.

What a stunning combo this would be!

Today Andretti Global and General Motors, two American powerhouses in the automotive and motorsport sectors, have announced their intent to pursue the opportunity to compete in the FIA Formula One World Championship. GM would be represented by the Cadillac brand. The Andretti Cadillac team would be based in the U.S. with a support facility in the U.K.

This reunites two iconic American companies with deep motorsports pedigrees and provides the opportunity to build on previous racing accomplishments while expanding international reach for both brands. F1 has seen consistent growth globally and most recently in the U.S. with 2023 races in Austin, Miami and Las Vegas.

The Andretti Cadillac team is planning to submit an Expression of Interest when the FIA opens the formal process. If selected, the team is seeking to compete as soon as practical with at least one American driver.

D365

Veteran Member
Andretti and Cadillac announce there intention to seek to enter Formula 1, once the FIA opens up Expression of Interests for New Teams - which it looks like they will do.

I'm excited to see how this progresses. Here's hoping that FOM and the other teams play ball.

Broucek

As long as Cadillac doesn't do the suspension.... ;)

DarloRich

Veteran Member

I'm excited to see how this progresses. Here's hoping that FOM and the other teams play ball.

...and the mechanicals don't come out of the GM parts bin ;)
Like most new entrant F1 teams ( especially American teams) they will come with unrealistic expectations and then finish last by some distance.

DelW

Established Member
I'm surprised to hear that Cadillac still exists as a marque - I only associate it with vast 1950s cars with worse handling than an oil tanker. Their website shows a range of SUVs for USA and Canada, but for some reason if I follow its links to European countries I get "connection refused". AFAIK they haven't been marketed in Europe for decades, if ever.