• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

Broucek

I'm surprised to hear that Cadillac still exists as a marque - I only associate it with vast 1950s cars with worse handling than an oil tanker. Their website shows a range of SUVs for USA and Canada, but for some reason if I follow its links to European countries I get "connection refused". AFAIK they haven't been marketed in Europe for decades, if ever.
They certainly used to have poor handling and brakes. But I drove one of their saloons (sedans) as a hire car 8 or so years ago and it was pretty good if not 7 Series standard

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
I'm surprised to hear that Cadillac still exists as a marque - I only associate it with vast 1950s cars with worse handling than an oil tanker. Their website shows a range of SUVs for USA and Canada, but for some reason if I follow its links to European countries I get "connection refused". AFAIK they haven't been marketed in Europe for decades, if ever.

Cadillac are getting somewhat of a revival in terms of racing, they're entering a prototype for the first time this year at Le Mans (and the associated World Endurance Championship) and have been entering some fantastic sounding prototypes* in IMSA since 2017 (replacing Corvette as GM's prototype brand of choice) - though as you note they're very limited in terms of countries where they're on sale! Chevrolet would be the obvious 'racing' brand for GM given it's presence in most major series (NASCAR, INDYCAR, GT Sportscars), but I guess that Prototypes & F1 both have a certain luxury & richer client base that can be sold Cadillacs where they're on sale!

*The new 2023 LMDh car sounds very similar, but with a spec hybrid unit which lets it pull away in electric mode

DelW

Established Member
Cadillac are getting somewhat of a revival in terms of racing, they're entering a prototype for the first time this year at Le Mans (and the associated World Endurance Championship) and have been entering some fantastic sounding prototypes* in IMSA since 2017 (replacing Corvette as GM's prototype brand of choice) - though as you note they're very limited in terms of countries where they're on sale! Chevrolet would be the obvious 'racing' brand for GM given it's presence in most major series (NASCAR, INDYCAR, GT Sportscars), but I guess that Prototypes & F1 both have a certain luxury & richer client base that can be sold Cadillacs where they're on sale!

*The new 2023 LMDh car sounds very similar, but with a spec hybrid unit which lets it pull away in electric mode
Interesting, I hadn't been aware of the intention to use the marque name in any racing. I'd have expected GM to choose one of their more performance orientated brands too.

Chevrolet was somewhat compromised for me by the use of the name on small Korean (?) built hatches a decade or so ago. My neighbour had one as a local run-around and while it was a reliable little motor, it wasn't remotely aspirational.

I've also had Chevrolet hire cars in the US and South Africa. In 2015 I had a Camaro for a week and a half driving through the Pacific northwest, and while it looked fantastic, it wasn't great to drive, the steering was vaguer than anything I've driven here for a long time, and the dash looked like something from the 1960s. It was the 3.6 litre six though, maybe the V8 might have been better. The following week in California I had a Mustang (which was the V8) and it was way better, it was a hoot to drive.

I'll keep an eye open for Le Mans, must admit I haven't paid that much attention in recent years.

Domh245

Established Member
Interesting, I hadn't been aware of the intention to use the marque name in any racing. I'd have expected GM to choose one of their more performance orientated brands too.

Chevrolet was somewhat compromised for me by the use of the name on small Korean (?) built hatches a decade or so ago. My neighbour had one as a local run-around and while it was a reliable little motor, it wasn't remotely aspirational.

I've also had Chevrolet hire cars in the US and South Africa. In 2015 I had a Camaro for a week and a half driving through the Pacific northwest, and while it looked fantastic, it wasn't great to drive, the steering was vaguer than anything I've driven here for a long time, and the dash looked like something from the 1960s. It was the 3.6 litre six though, maybe the V8 might have been better. The following week in California I had a Mustang (which was the V8) and it was way better, it was a hoot to drive.

Whilst the Chevrolet brand is definitely marred by it's use on those little Daewoos (which led me to discover that Chevrolet Europe was actually a subsidiary of GM Korea rather than the US directly!) I think that even in the US they churn out enough mediocre family cars that I don't think the brand itself can be considered especially sporty* outside of the Camaro & Corvette - it's similar to Ford in that respect I suppose! I think that the uninspiring Camaro that you had can probably be attributed to GMs tendency to penny pinch and rummage through parts bins every time they launch a new model - that model was released in 2010 on a platform dating from 1999

*but it is inherently sportier than GMC, Buick & Cadillac.

I'll keep an eye open for Le Mans, must admit I haven't paid that much attention in recent years.

I can't say I'd blame you - the last few years have been a bit uninspiring in all honesty, but top level sportscar racing is tipped to be going into a bit of a golden age at the moment - getting back to healthy competition in the top class with a whole host of manufacturers competing across two harmonised technical regulations with Toyota, Ferrari & Peugeot the big 3 running "LMH", plus Glickenhaus and (potentially but unlikely) ByKolles/Vanwall & Isotta Fraschini as well as Porsche (up to 4 cars eventually) & Cadillac running "LMDh" type top class cars - and all the 100th anniversary year. 2024 will see the addition of BMW, Lamborghini, and Alpine coming to Le Mans as well

The 24h of Daytona (Run in a different series to Le Mans & WEC but a very similar vein and increasingly 'harmonised') is the weekend after next if you want to whet your appetite!

DelW

Established Member
I think that even in the US they churn out enough mediocre family cars that I don't think the brand itself can be considered especially sporty* outside of the Camaro & Corvette ...
Yes, I've also done long hauls around New England in an Impala and across South Africa in a Cruze, and while both were quite adequate they were hardly inspiring.
I can't say I'd blame you - the last few years have been a bit uninspiring in all honesty, but top level sportscar racing is tipped to be going into a bit of a golden age at the moment - getting back to healthy competition in the top class with a whole host of manufacturers competing across two harmonised technical regulations with Toyota, Ferrari & Peugeot the big 3 running "LMH", plus Glickenhaus and (potentially but unlikely) ByKolles/Vanwall & Isotta Fraschini as well as Porsche (up to 4 cars eventually) & Cadillac running "LMDh" type top class cars - and all the 100th anniversary year. 2024 will see the addition of BMW, Lamborghini, and Alpine coming to Le Mans as well

The 24h of Daytona (Run in a different series to Le Mans & WEC but a very similar vein and increasingly 'harmonised') is the weekend after next if you want to whet your appetite!
Those cars certainly look the part, I'll look out for coverage of Daytona too.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sad news from Jenny Gow also today, who has revealed she has recently suffered from a major stroke:

Hi everyone, been quiet the last few weeks, this is because I suffered a serious stroke two weeks ago. My husband is helping me type this, as I'm finding it hard to write and my speech is most affected.

I'm desperate to make a full recovery and return to work, but it might take some time. Thank you to the medical teams at Frimley and St George's and my family and friends who've got me through the last fortnight X
I wish her a speedy recovery and hope we hear her broadcasting again soon.

JohnMcL7

I'm really hoping we get some great racing with Le Mans again after it looking so good with Audi, Porsche, Toyota and Nissan in the top class but then it quickly collapsed. Some of the battles between Audi and Peugeot and then Audi and Toyota were fantastic with the 2016 Le Mans finish being the most heart wrenching moments there's been in motorsport. For endurance racing I'm also a big fan of the utterly bonkers Nurburgring 24 and usually eventful Spa 24.

Haas’ 2023 Livery launch on Tuesday, is this afternoon followed by Red Bull’s RB19 at 2pm in New York: which will also see RB’s confirmation of Ford becoming Engine Partner of RB Powertrains for them and AlphaTauri in 2026.

It will mark Ford’s return to Formula 1 after being away since 2004.

Red Bull are poised to announce an engine partnership deal with US car giant Ford.

Ford will join forces with the team from 2026, part-funding the engine Red Bull are designing for the new regulations to be introduced that year.

The agreement is expected to be officially unveiled at Red Bull's 2023 season launch in New York on Friday.

Darandio

Established Member
So Red Bull looking to relive the glory days of Jaguar from 2000 - 2004 then?

Weird to selectively pick out a small barren period from an engine manufacturer that is in the top 3 most successful ever in the sport.

gswindale

Weird to selectively pick out a small barren period from an engine manufacturer that is in the top 3 most successful ever in the sport.
Looking at constructors, I think we can treat Stewart Racing, Jaguar and Red Bull as the same entity.

1 win in 8 years with Ford backing behind the scenes does not suggest it's the best hook-up!

Ford may technically be in the top 3, but how much of that was down to the work by Cosworth (who made the engines that Ford rebadged if I remember correctly) rather than Ford's own involvement?

PG

Established Member
I seem to, perhaps mistakenly, remember mention that Honda had reviewed their decision to withdraw from F1 engine supply and assumed they'd still be involved with RBPT?
If not then what is the situation re Honda engines in F1?

SynthD

Established Member
I seem to, perhaps mistakenly, remember mention that Honda had reviewed their decision to withdraw from F1 engine supply and assumed they'd still be involved with RBPT?
I think they extended the sponsorship of the engines Red Bull make in house.

gswindale

Honda are still interested. According to motorsport.com, 6 manufacturers are signed up for 2026:
Audi
Ferrari
Ford (badged Red Bull)
Honda
Mercedes
Renault (as Alpine)

As it stands, Porsche appears to be off the cards completely now.

gswindale

Based on their recent relationship, I'm not sure McLaren and Honda would work together again, but there is different management at McLaren now, so there is potential there.

Another option, depending on how involved Honda want to be is to team up with Williams again.

PG

Established Member
I'd imagine that Honda have some idea of who they'll be supplying, after all it's a pretty big commitment to build F1 power units so you'd want to be certain that one or more teams would be interested...

Bungle73

On Moderation
Based on their recent relationship, I'm not sure McLaren and Honda would work together again, but there is different management at McLaren now, so there is potential there.

Another option, depending on how involved Honda want to be is to team up with Williams again.
People said McLaren and Alonso would never work together again............

gswindale

People said McLaren and Alonso would never work together again............
Indeed they did and I'm not entirely sure they did work together during his 2nd spell at the team :D

and according to Motorsport.com, the actual engine manufacturer that made "Ford" one of the top 3 teams in history has ruled out returning:

In other news, Ben Sulayem has apparently stepped back from day-to-day involvement with F1 with ex-Ferrari chief Domenicalli taking over.

Last edited:

Established Member
F1 testing done, Red Bull miles ahead. How many points will they win the championship by i wonder?
As a long time RB fan I obviously hope they do, and I would make a tody profit if they do, but I really do hope that it's more interesting than last year and the merc dominant era before 2021.

PG

Established Member
No word yet on whether Stroll is in the car?
Will be interesting if Drugovich gets to drive to see how well he performs, though with Alonso as a team-mate it may be hard to measure up...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
As a long time RB fan I obviously hope they do, and I would make a tody profit if they do, but I really do hope that it's more interesting than last year and the merc dominant era before 2021.
I have to say my view of Red Bull has declined due to the behaviour shown over the cost cap situation. They broke the rules and then moaned like hell that they were caught even though thier punishment was, imo, light.

Horner comes over like a spoiled child in the recent drive to survive documentary.

No word yet on whether Stroll is in the car?
Will be interesting if Drugovich gets to drive to see how well he performs, though with Alonso as a team-mate it may be hard to measure up...

It will be Drugovich surely. Stroll has a "damaged" wrist and hasn't tested the car.

kristiang85

Established Member
I'm pretty sure Drugovich will be in the car this weekend. A pity for Stroll, given it looks quite competitive, but a golden opportunity for Drugovich.

I'm flying off to Bahrain tomorrow - should be a fun weekend. Hope the racing is as good there as it has been the last few years.

Edit: Oh wait Stroll is confirmed. Shows how much I know haha.

Last edited: