• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Formula 1

najaB

Veteran Member
Though i can see backmarkers parking cars before the end and claim it was reliability related to save on engine mileage and with reguards to the cost cap.
My suggestion for a change for next year: sprint-only engines!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gswindale

My suggestion for a change for next year: sprint-only engines!
How does that fit with the cost-cap principle?

I'm not that bothered either way, but should quali be the same length for both the race and the sprint? Surely if the sprint race is 1/3 full race, then quali should just be 20 minutes?

I'd abandon the main qualifying format for the sprints and just have a 20 minute free-for-all.

najaB

Veteran Member
How does that fit with the cost-cap principle?
I don't think that one extra engine would be then end of the cost cap philosophy. Especially if they're allowed to use parts from the 'main' engines to replace ones on the sprint engine.

It also would introduce another element of strategy - say, for example, you have an ICE that is getting on in the miles. Do you try to eek another couple for grands prix out of it, or swap it out and go hell for leather in a sprint?

JD2168

It makes sense for the changes as the Saturday practice on a sprint weekend was not good viewing as it did not mean a lot for fans. It may mean the drivers going for it more in the sprint as it does not affect the main race grid.

Broucek

Well, live qualifying is at 2pm today. Weirdly, I seem to be at work then. Perhaps I work strange hours and most other people are free...

najaB

Veteran Member
Well, live qualifying is at 2pm today. Weirdly, I seem to be at work then. Perhaps I work strange hours and most other people are free...
So sports shouldn't happen when the TV fans are at work, got it. I wonder what all the people who travelled there to experience it live will do instead?

Broucek

So sports shouldn't happen when the TV fans are at work, got it. I wonder what all the people who travelled there to experience it live will do instead?
Thanks for the gracious response. The TV audience is many orders of magnitude larger than the live audience and is where most of the sport’s income comes from

gswindale

Thanks for the gracious response. The TV audience is many orders of magnitude larger than the live audience and is where most of the sport’s income comes from
It's a problem when you have an international event.

My understanding is that quali is at 6pm local, so getting into the evening.

What time do you think it should be to satisfy both the local conditions and the TV audience? How do you cope with the Japanese race (I seem to recall recording 94 as it was on at 4am or something stupid)

Broucek

It's a problem when you have an international event.

My understanding is that quali is at 6pm local, so getting into the evening.

What time do you think it should be to satisfy both the local conditions and the TV audience? How do you cope with the Japanese race (I seem to recall recording 94 as it was on at 4am or something stupid)
It's the day rather than timezone that upset me. With Japan and Australia I can chose to get up early or not but Friday is a work day for the majority and I'd prefer it if they'd not messed around with the usual Sat-Sun format.

Personally, I think there are two many GPs already without adding a sprint and that it dilutes the impact of each race but I know not everyone feels that way (although I suspect most mechanics would agree!)

najaB

Veteran Member
The TV audience is many orders of magnitude larger than the live audience and is where most of the sport’s income comes from
Yes. And the TV audience is also spread out around the world, so there are many fans for whom this time is perfectly acceptable.

Just record it, avoid looking at the news, and watch it when you get home.
I'd prefer it if they'd not messed around with the usual Sat-Sun format.
And I'd prefer it if Mila Kunis was my girlfriend.

gswindale

It's the day rather than timezone that upset me. With Japan and Australia I can chose to get up early or not but Friday is a work day for the majority and I'd prefer it if they'd not messed around with the usual Sat-Sun format.

Personally, I think there are two many GPs already without adding a sprint and that it dilutes the impact of each race but I know not everyone feels that way (although I suspect most mechanics would agree!)
The usual Sat-Sun format?

I much preferred the old format where Qualifying was on Friday and Saturday. If memory serves, the fastest times from either session determined the grid, so if Saturday was a washout then the grid was already set.

Weather good all weekend? Smashed your car up in Quali on Friday, give it another go on Saturday and sneak pole by 1/1000 second from the fastest time on Friday.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
a few points if i may:

• This is an international event with an international audience
  • The race is being held in a forign country
  • Baku is 3/4 hours ahead of the UK therefore qualification must be about tea time in Baku
  • Meaning that darkness will interrupt proceedings if anything goes wrong in qualification if the session was held at UK friendly times
  • The global TV audience is vast so which segment comes first? I would suggest NOT the UK! I suspect Liberty would prioritise USA viewers.

PS - just do what I do for the practice sessions. If you can, listen to BBC at work ( perhaps on the Q/T) via the BBC sport app and get coverage of the qualification OR do the old MOTD trick and record the session, look away now, and watch the action when you get home.

Broucek

a few points if i may:

• Baku is 3/4 hours ahead of the UK therefore qualification must be about tea time in Baku
  • Meaning that darkness will interrupt proceedings if anything goes wrong in qualification if the session was held at UK friendly times
  • The global TV audience is vast so which segment comes first? I would suggest NOT the UK! I suspect Liberty would prioritise USA viewers.

PS - just do what I do for the practice sessions. If you can, listen to BBC at work ( perhaps on the Q/T) via the BBC sport app and get coverage of the qualification OR do the old MOTD trick and record the session, look away now, and watch the action when you get home.
I completely get the point about time zones. It's the DAY that upset me (which my post didn't make clear).

And, yes, I will watch the highlights later, having dodged news and social media (which is good for mental health in any case!)

JamesT

Established Member
The usual Sat-Sun format?

I much preferred the old format where Qualifying was on Friday and Saturday. If memory serves, the fastest times from either session determined the grid, so if Saturday was a washout then the grid was already set.

Weather good all weekend? Smashed your car up in Quali on Friday, give it another go on Saturday and sneak pole by 1/1000 second from the fastest time on Friday.
There's a remnant of that left over in the rules, if they're unable to run qualifying but they did manage a practice session they can use the times from that.
a few points if i may:

I think it's noticeable that some races in those foreign countries are run under lights to fit within the normal 'European' race times. I suspect Baku's race being in the middle of their city it's impractical to light it up that way.
Not sure when this article ( https://www.rookieroad.com/formula-1/where-is-formula-1-most-popular-863432 ) dates from but it claims the biggest TV audiences are in Europe. So I expect that for the moment at least, they'll base their scheduling around those viewers.

najaB

Veteran Member
I completely get the point about time zones. It's the DAY that upset me (which my post didn't make clear).
You 'lose' one qualifying session, but gain another plus a whole extra race.

I guess it's true what they say about not being able to please everyone.

DelW

Established Member

And, yes, I will watch the highlights later, having dodged news and social media (which is good for mental health in any case!)
As far as I can see from printed guides and the EPG, Channel 4 isn't showing highlights until Saturday evening anyway, in a combined programme with the sprint race. By that time whatever happened this afternoon will be pretty old news.

One might think Liberty are trying to push everyone onto streaming services - I foresee terrestrial coverage being pushed out altogether in favour of pay per view before long.

With the constantly changing formats and race decisions based on "exciting finishes" rather than fairness or the rules, it's barely worth watching anyway, so I'm not too bothered that I'm busy tomorrow and will miss both quali and sprint. No point recording it when I won't be able to watch it until the main race is over!

RailWonderer

Established Member
As far as I can see from printed guides and the EPG, Channel 4 isn't showing highlights until Saturday evening anyway, in a combined programme with the sprint race. By that time whatever happened this afternoon will be pretty old news.

One might think Liberty are trying to push everyone onto streaming services - I foresee terrestrial coverage being pushed out altogether in favour of pay per view before long.

With the constantly changing formats and race decisions based on "exciting finishes" rather than fairness or the rules, it's barely worth watching anyway, so I'm not too bothered that I'm busy tomorrow and will miss both quali and sprint. No point recording it when I won't be able to watch it until the main race is over!
I genuinely believe F1 was far better under Bernie Ecclestone. This endless quest to lengthen the F1 season to the point there isn't the time to watch every single race added to the sprint races which are giving away some of the Sunday surprise and adding dogs*** Tilkedrome tracks in the USA and the Arab countries to line Liberty's own pockets will kill the sport. All PPV and no terrestrial added to that will nail it into the ground. F1 has grown hugely this last few years with Drive to Survive and a social media drive and F1 TV but it risks reversing it's successes by reducing free coverage.

F1 was better off with Bernie lining his pockets out of new race deals than it is with Liberty (being an American corporation) lining their pockets which will be a never ending blood sucking conquest. F1 will turn into Boxing, where the audience will just decline because it cuts off too much of the world with a lack of decent free coverage.

As a side note, F1 is also underming itself and looking very Mickey Mouse by changing the rules mid season, adding and revmoing races, and arbitrary and inconsistent penalty handing. As soon as we lost the late great Charlie Whiting, F1 regulation went downhill.

jfollows

Established Member
Well, that was all completely potty.
And one of the drivers wasn't allowed to compete in the last ten because he didn't have any new tyres. The regulations get more and more incomprehensible.
I wonder what the people actually there made of all this, I think they'd have been better served by the old format but this is all about the TV audience of course.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
And one of the drivers wasn't allowed to compete in the last ten because he didn't have any new tyres. The regulations get more and more incomprehensible.
Norris? McLaren knew the rules and used the tyres to get a better slot for the main race imo

As a side note, F1 is also underming itself and looking very Mickey Mouse by changing the rules mid season
Really? You do know the rules for the sprint races were only agreed on Wednesday last - the teams have been the ones messing about.
I genuinely believe F1 was far better under Bernie Ecclestone. This endless quest to lengthen the F1 season to the point there isn't the time to watch every single race
Really? there isn't time to watch one 90 minute race every couple of weeks ( often a 90 minute race condensed down to much less on C4?)

F1 has grown hugely this last few years with Drive to Survive and a social media drive and F1 TV but it risks reversing it's successes by reducing free coverage.
Or, perhaps, Liberty think they can erm "drive" the people Drive to Survive attracted to subscribe to premium services. Football hasn't died because it is mainly on PPV via Sky or BT and neither will F1. What will kill interest in F1 is dull racing and a lack of excitement or jeopardy, like Red Bull winning by 17 miles every week.

As I always say - I have no Sky or BT. I watch C4 highlights when I can be bothered and otherwise listen, free, via Radio 5. I can listen to every session and their podcast. I don't feel I am missing out because i cant watch the race and listen to the hyperbole issued by Sky or c4 commentators. I actually feel more informed as the commentary needs to be more descriptive and time needs to be filled in more on radio than TV . I would LOVE coverage on BBC1 like the olden days but that isn't going to happen.

Last edited:

jfollows

Established Member
Norris? McLaren knew the rules and used the tyres to get a better slot for the main race imo
Sure, but that's my point, the rules are incomprehensible to anyone "new" to watching, and they're tiresome to many of us who've been watching for years. We are where we are, but it doesn't seem like a good place to me. We're just too far removed from the concept of driving the best car fastest around the track as used to be the case - and I accept that the safety requirements today have to have some sort of impact of course.

Established Member
like Red Bull winning by 17 miles every week.
Agreed. Same with Merc up until the end of 2020.

At least this weekend both qualifying sessions have been interesting, and not just a question of what RB will be on pole. I hope the races are similar.

najaB

Veteran Member
Sure, but that's my point, the rules are incomprehensible to anyone "new" to watching, and they're tiresome to many of us who've been watching for years.
Because F1's rules have always been clear in the past...

66701GBRF

Have to say I do not fully understand the rationale behind the tyre rule in SQ3. Why can’t a competitor use a used set of softs or why can’t the teams be given a set like they are in Q3?

Something that reduces the spectacle of the sport (which this does by having less drivers racing for the top spot) is at odds with the entire point of the sprint imo.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Really? there isn't time to watch one 90 minute race every couple of weeks ( often a 90 minute race condensed down to much less on C4?)
I was referring to the wish to increase the season to 25 races and have racing nearly every weekend, because like many people I cannot or do not want to stay home every weekend. Like with football I don't watch every match just the bigger ones.
Or, perhaps, Liberty think they can erm "drive" the people Drive to Survive attracted to subscribe to premium services. Football hasn't died because it is mainly on PPV via Sky or BT and neither will F1. What will kill interest in F1 is dull racing and a lack of excitement or jeopardy, like Red Bull winning by 17 miles every week.
Point taken.
As I always say - I have no Sky or BT. I watch C4 highlights when I can be bothered and otherwise listen, free, via Radio 5. I can listen to every session and their podcast. I don't feel I am missing out because i cant watch the race and listen to the hyperbole issued by Sky or c4 commentators. I actually feel more informed as the commentary needs to be more descriptive and time needs to be filled in more on radio than TV . I would LOVE coverage on BBC1 like the olden days but that isn't going to happen.
Quality of the punditary is important, C4 only have DC and Webber, Sky has Brundle, Hill, Button, Rosberg, Di Resta and Karun who are all ex F1 racers, winners or champions, I think that brings value to the Sky coverage - in fact it is rebroadcasted on other channels the world over, ESPN for the US, Canada etc. I like to hear the take on regulations, race lengths, whether a move was taking the mickey or fair play so I like hearing a debate too. The Brundle grid walk is hilarious at times as well and I always tune in in advance for it.

JD2168

Have to say I do not fully understand the rationale behind the tyre rule in SQ3. Why can’t a competitor use a used set of softs or why can’t the teams be given a set like they are in Q3?

Something that reduces the spectacle of the sport (which this does by having less drivers racing for the top spot) is at odds with the entire point of the sprint imo.
When the tyre rule was thought up the idea was that each driver would have a fresh set of new tyres to use. The Teams have discovered a loophole where there is no mention of saving tyres for the SQ3. This means if you want to prioritise the main race you can use up your tyres if you’re thinking you won’t get into the top 8 in the Sprint as the race scores to 10th.

17 year old Chelmsford lad Ollie Bearman, has announced his arrival in Formula 2 with the Prema team in spectacular fashion, by topping Practice, getting Pole for the feature race, winning the Sprint Race yesterday and winning the Feature Race this morning!

What a star UK motorsport has in its ranks.