• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forum changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai.

Established Member
You will need jQuery if you wish to display the information in the same page, without navigating to another page or use frames.

Last time I used the BBCode editor in vB Admin you just put the code in there instead of messing round with new pages or editing the php code for the posts anyway. So the code would go in there you'd just call up the database, maybe a javascript for the popup box and it's done.

Unless it's changed!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Regarding the ranks, we are introducing an additional rank, in response to feedback. The rank is Established Member and applies to people who have more than a certain amount of posts (the exact amount isn't specified, and may increase over time; but you can probably work out roughly what it is!).

A further rank, Fares Advisor, is currently under consideration specifically to assist people requiring fares advise in the Fares & Ticketing forum. Details will be available in due course, but if you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

Dai.

Established Member
Regarding the ranks, we are introducing an additional rank, in response to feedback. The rank is Established Member and applies to people who have more than a certain amount of posts (the exact amount isn't specified, and may increase over time; but you can probably work out roughly what it is!).

A further rank, Fares Advisor, is currently under consideration specifically to assist people requiring fares advise in the Fares & Ticketing forum. Details will be available in due course, but if you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

Is there others planned for people of other talents acceptable? - Infrastructure? TOC/FOC? etc.

At_traction

I'm afraid a Pandora's box in the form of a can of worms may be opened here: "why am I not labelled as an expert on this or that while X is". I know it is a more accurate depiction of a member's area(s) of expertise and might well be a very helpful addition to other forum users, but at least a system like the old one could cater to "rank evaluation" in an appropriately lighthearted way.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm afraid a Pandora's box in the form of a can of worms may be opened here: "why am I not labelled as an expert on this or that while X is". I know it is a more accurate depiction of a member's area(s) of expertise and might well be a very helpful addition to other forum users, but at least a system like the old one could cater to "rank evaluation" in an appropriately lighthearted way.
It won't, because those who have been given the rank will have passed a test.

At_traction

It won't, because those who have been given the rank will have passed a test.

That still doesn't preclude an odd claim about somebody having himself passed the test too. ;) The human mind is a strange thing.

But it's fine by me. I'm certain it will have a clarifying effect.

HST Power

Established Member
Most sites that offer forum creation have it rounded, though they are both similar figures so I don't mind!

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Most sites that offer forum creation have it rounded, though they are both similar figures so I don't mind!

Most sites that create a forum for you do, but I would be willing to bet they installed the forum themselves with the software rather than using some kind of free host.

All these settings can be changed in the Admin CP anyway.

HST Power

Established Member
It's powered by vBulletin, which you order off the internet. The forum publishing suite costs $285, plus $150 for proffesional installation!!! I wonder who stumped up the $435!

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
It's powered by vBulletin, which you order off the internet. The forum publishing suite costs $285, plus $150 for proffesional installation!!! I wonder who stumped up the $435!

You don't need professional installation. It's quite easy to do yourself. You buy the license, upload the software, set up your database, and follow the installation instructions. Or, you can pay someone to do it for you.

HST Power

Established Member
Personally, I use Ucoz for creating websites. You don't pay a penny but in comparison to other creators I've seen, such as Moonfruit, Weebly and Freewebs, you get much, much more.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Personally, I use Ucoz for creating websites. You don't pay a penny but in comparison to other creators I've seen, such as Moonfruit, Weebly and Freewebs, you get much, much more.

Personally, I use XCode (Mac's Notepad++ equivalent). . I don't like these free create your own things. They make bloated, inefficient code and you don't learn anything when doing it. When you write your own stuff, you know how it works, and when it doesn't, how to fix it.

Ivo

Established Member
I'm sure I remember Mojo saying it's a random number (whether that means an insignificant number or something different for each user I don't know)...

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The number will change, increasing over time. I wouldn't worry about it too much ;)

As for the Fares Advisor rank, expect to see this later in the Summer. If anyone is interested, please send me a PM (there will be various 'hoops' to go through though, but send a PM to start with and we'll take it from there :))

strange6

Established Member
I think there should be a 'railway technician' rank as well which would include fitters, engineers, drivers and signallers. Properly qualified railway people should have some kind of distinction from the rest of us so we can easily identify them.

theblackwatch

Established Member
We are getting into the stages of elitism here. What difference does it make if someone is a train driver for example - they shoudln't be treated any differently, better or worse!

strange6

Established Member
We are getting into the stages of elitism here. What difference does it make if someone is a train driver for example - they shoudln't be treated any differently, better or worse!

I said, 'railway technician' ! the purpose being that you can easily distinguish them from the crowd if you want to ask a question regarding anything technical! Only an idea! no need to flame me for gods sake!
The technical people on these forums are very helpful, polite and obliging folk and I for one are very grateful for the time they invest in answering posts and PM's. In MY opinion, it would be very useful to have them highlighted

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I said, 'railway technician' ! the purpose being that you can easily distinguish them from the crowd if you want to ask a question regarding anything technical! Only an idea! no need to flame me for gods sake!
The technical people on these forums are very helpful, polite and obliging folk and I for one are very grateful for the time they invest in answering posts and PM's. In MY opinion, it would be very useful to have them highlighted

And if they don't want to be?

It is elitism, plenty on here could tell you evrything you needed to know about other forms of railway interest, steam, British Rail, current geography, financing, Deltics, timetabling. Do we distinguish them too?

If 'technicians' want to be known, they can put it as thier CUT, or in their signature.

strange6

Established Member
And if they don't want to be?

it is elitism, plenty on here could tell you evrything you needed to know about other forms of railway interest, steam, British Rail, current geography, financing, Deltics, timetabling. Do we distinguish them too?

If 'technicians' want to be known, they can put it as thier CUT, or in their sig.

Like I said, just an idea seeing as we're distinguishing the ticketing people. Forget I asked

HST Power

Established Member
I'd argue ticketing is far more complicated!!! :D

I agree with you on that one! I occasionaly browse through the Ticketing and Fares Forum and I cannot make head or tail of some of the things in there!!! :)

strange6

Established Member
I agree with you on that one! I occasionaly browse through the Ticketing and Fares Forum and I cannot make head or tail of some of the things in there!!! :)

Ticketing is very complicated and I have full respect to the guys who give a lot of their time and expertise on here for us to save money. Thanks guys! :)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You can always set your 'user title' (in UserCP) to whatever you want (within reason obviously - providing it's not misleading etc...!) and this appears below your username (above the 'rank').

As for the Fares Advisor rank, we are arranging fares workshops and also tests to ensure people are suitable. (You can see the problem here when you apply that to other ideas....)

And the Fares Advisors will serve a specific purpose; to advise on fares, in the Fares & Ticketing section which is an incredibly busy part of this site and seems to attract a significant number of new members, and we feel that we need to somehow indicate to those new members that they are getting suitable advice. I believe this requirement is fairly unique, and doesn't really apply to areas like engineering etc.

strange6

Established Member
You can always set your 'user title' (in UserCP) to whatever you want (within reason obviously - providing it's not misleading etc...!) and this appears below your username (above the 'rank').

As for the Fares Advisor rank, we are arranging fares workshops and also tests to ensure people are suitable. (You can see the problem here when you apply that to other ideas....)

And the Fares Advisors will serve a specific purpose; to advise on fares, in the Fares & Ticketing section which is an incredibly busy part of this site and seems to attract a significant number of new members, and we feel that we need to somehow indicate to those new members that they are getting suitable advice. I believe this requirement is fairly unique, and doesn't really apply to areas like engineering etc.

I must admit, the ticket experts are worth their weight in gold quite literally. They provide absolutely tip-top information and do a super job for nothing

HST Power

Established Member
I agree, and think this new rank would be a great idea. I've learnt some very useful things from the ticketing forum that have proved useful when planning journey's, particuarly into the maze that is London. It would also be good (just an idea) if you could actually rate users based on their ticketing/fares advice. We have leaderboards for the number of posts, so maybe we could have a leaderboard for helpfulness with journey's!

Ivo

Established Member
Any chance you could add mouseovers for the common CRS codes, much like Airliners.net does for IATA codes :)

Could do, if I know how! If people use stn BB code tags in the mean time that would be a short term fix.

[STN]ZFD[/STN]

Did anything ever become of this plan? The idea of using the stn BB code seems to have been long-forgotten.

[STN]BNS[/STN] (A deliberate choice; might throw a few people when they see which station comes up! :lol:)

Do we have any further updates on the Fares Advisor test at all, or is it a case of waiting...?

Status
Not open for further replies.