• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forums Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
From the footnote that seems to advertise Tapatalk in postings, there does appear to be quite a number of the website members who use that product.

You will no doubt have guessed by now that part of my forum signature is based upon the wording used by that Tapatalk advert.... :D

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
i have binned tapatalk - it seems rubbish

Apart from the fact they change the UI every 2 minutes, it seems to me by far the best way to access forums on a tablet. Anything else requires constant resizing, panning etc.

As for ads, I recognise the need for them (there is, after all, no such thing as a free lunch, so the choice is ads or paywalls, and those who use adblockers will eventually get frozen out of a lot of sites once they work out how[1]) but I do wish they would stick to static text and images, then I wouldn't care.

[1] Some newspaper sites already block those using adblockers or even incognito mode.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
I've no problems with ads just malware ones. However this forum doesn't work well on tablets and mobiles without using something like Tapatalk, which as I paid for the premium version some years ago doesn't include ads. I don't know if this forum has ads on it even for the free version.

Established Member
However this forum doesn't work well on tablets and mobiles without using something like Tapatalk

I used to think that, but haven't used tapatalk for the past year or so because I got fed up of the constant changes, and the few forums I use all work great on my phone without it.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I used to think that, but haven't used tapatalk for the past year or so because I got fed up of the constant changes, and the few forums I use all work great without it.

Apart from the fact they change the UI every 2 minutes, it seems to me by far the best way to access forums on a tablet. Anything else requires constant resizing, panning etc.

As for ads, I recognise the need for them (there is, after all, no such thing as a free lunch, so the choice is ads or paywalls, and those who use adblockers will eventually get frozen out of a lot of sites once they work out how[1]) but I do wish they would stick to static text and images, then I wouldn't care.

[1] Some newspaper sites already block those using adblockers or even incognito mode.

I dont have a problem and it keeps the visual layout. You do need to re size but it isn't an awful inconvenience to view the forum via chrome on my android

jon0844

Veteran Member
Any news on if/when this is going to be fixed?

On a similar note can anyone recommend any alternative apps to tapatalk?

I don't think there's anything that comes close to Tapatalk. I'm somewhat disappointed at how long it is taking to fix the plug in here.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I've no problems with ads just malware ones. However this forum doesn't work well on tablets and mobiles without using something like Tapatalk, which as I paid for the premium version some years ago doesn't include ads. I don't know if this forum has ads on it even for the free version.

Does the mobile version not work with whatever device you have?

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm somewhat disappointed at how long it is taking to fix the plug in here.

You have to remember we're all volunteers here - and it's quite a complex fix required as we're trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. :) I'm hoping to have some time over this weekend to look into it in more detail.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
You have to remember we're all volunteers here - and it's quite a complex fix required as we're trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. :) I'm hoping to have some time over this weekend to look into it in more detail.

I really am sorry that you have felt the need to make this posting as I am sure that very many of us do realise the volunteer status of all the forum staff and if it was not for your total dedication, this site would not exist for our enjoyment.

jon0844

Veteran Member

Sorry if I came over rude. I really am disappointed though, as using Chrome on a mobile to use this forum (with varying themes) is a PITA. And I say that as someone who ran a vBulletin forum for many years myself.

I appreciate the work being done to fix it and will just wait.

Phil.

Established Member
My internet anti virus thingy (Bullguard) keeps warning me that this is a malicious site.

miami

Established Member
Malware bytes reports BBC, NYT, AOL and Newsweek were all hit this weekend.
https://blog.malwarebytes.org/malve...er-malvertising-campaign-hits-top-publishers/

"However, out of the blue on the weekend we witnessed a huge spike in malicious activity emanating out of two suspicious domains. Not only were there a lot of events, but they also included some very high profile publishers, which is something we haven’t seen in a while"

jon0844

Veteran Member
It's a big problem when you can't control the ads your site/pages present if using another company to deliver ads.

If you have your own ad server and sell your own ads, that's great, but I doubt many publishers exclusively use these now. In a previous job, we mixed our own ads with ads delivered by Google (and others) and I know they've been hit a few times in recent years.

Clip

Established Member
I know forums dont like its use but its exactly because of issues like others have been reporting that I always use adblock plus all the time.

The forum has other ways to raise revenue and does so through their ticketing arrangements but i guess not enough people use that function when buying their tickets so maybe they can look at other avenues of funding.

jon0844

Veteran Member
This is a huge issue and will have massive repurcussions for the future of all online media. This site is much a publisher as any newspaper, even if it doesn't have paid staff.

Now we have ad blockers being used by as much as 30% of users (and it may well be much higher for certain sites, especially those that have more tech savvy users), and ad blocking companies are trying to make money themselves by blocking ads where revenue goes to the site owner, and inserting their own ads. Who didn't see that coming?!

Three and other mobile networks are considering offering ad blocking as an opt-in (for now, maybe it will eventually be automatically opted in) for users, and Three will insert its own ads. The company doing this is a firm that Three's parent company has invested heavily in.

Suffice to say, ads aren't likely to be the future for a lot of sites. But what about all the people who expect everything for free? I've said countless times that relying on ad revenue is always bad - not least because it gives advertisers the upper hand to influence or censor content.

I like the idea of having a nice easy monthly sub to access online content, with the money distributed automatically to the sites I visit. It's still early days but some publishers are testing different ideas. It's sort of like a paywall, but different in that you can access lots more content without continually signing up over and over - which you may not do if you only want to read one thing.

Google has something like this in selected markets, but the UK isn't one. Hopefully if it comes here, this site can sign up and then we can pay a tiny amount in the grand scheme of things, and kick ads off entirely.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I really don't like the idea of having to subscribe to a wider content provider - that's the way back to the dark ages of AOL etc. Newspapers are an example - I would rather pay a little per page than have to subscribe to each provider.

Personally, I would rather a standardised system of micropayments (5p per page impression or something) could be developed, allowing content sites to remain independent if they wish.

jon0844

Veteran Member
But how would you make said micropayments? There needs to be someone to manage them, and that's what Google or anyone can and likely will do.

You pay an amount each month, and it's automatically split up intelligently by someone else. You just go to the sites you want as normal.

There's nothing to say that this site, or mine, can't sign up to multiple operators of such schemes. If you visit and this site accepts payments, you'll see the content. If not, you'll be invited to sign up to one.

Of course some people will hate the idea, expecting it to be free. But then the alternative is to see ads, and that will mean turning off an ad blocker.

What can't be sustained is ad blockers becoming the norm with no alternative.

Eventually sites will just close, and the only ones remaining will be those that attract loads of advertising by producing click bait, poorly re-written press releases and never saying anything controversial at all.

dcsprior

Personally I'd like it if people had the avoid adverts on a large number of sites with a single subscription (either as a standalone subscription or part of something I already pay like phone & broadband or Amazon Prime) or continue to get adverts to view for free.

The danger is that people will choose to view for free but then use adblockers anyway, though this risk is probably significantly diminished for users accessing via an app provided by the site owner or micropayments provider rather than the browser itself.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Personally I'd like it if people had the avoid adverts on a large number of sites with a single subscription (either as a standalone subscription or part of something I already pay like phone & broadband or Amazon Prime) or continue to get adverts to view for free.

The danger is that people will choose to view for free but then use adblockers anyway, though this risk is probably significantly diminished for users accessing via an app provided by the site owner or micropayments provider rather than the browser itself.

Sites can now detect ad blockers and restrict content. Not sure if there's a vBulletin plug in?

Clip

Established Member
I really don't like the idea of having to subscribe to a wider content provider - that's the way back to the dark ages of AOL etc. Newspapers are an example - I would rather pay a little per page than have to subscribe to each provider.

Personally, I would rather a standardised system of micropayments (5p per page impression or something) could be developed, allowing content sites to remain independent if they wish.

Micro payments will never work.

Ever.

Forums will have to add subs or just bite the bullet in future. sorry

jon0844

Veteran Member
Micro payments will never work.

Ever.

Forums will have to add subs or just bite the bullet in future. sorry

I think we should see what happens when Google launches its service here. Okay, perhaps forums are a bit different to fixed article pages, but the principle is still the same.

Ultimately, tiny payments can work but only if someone big manages it (like Spotify or Netflix does) and you're just happy to see a few quid leave your account each month, on a recurring debit that you'll likely never cancel.

The future for many businesses is in renewing subs that never expire and rely on inertia that will see few people ever end their sub unless they have a particularly bad experience, or something better comes along.

I read that even football clubs are going for monthly subs instead of annual seasons.

Software is sold this way by most big companies now, and I can't see how the same model can't work for a lot of people as a way to pay for more than just music and video.

Haydn1971

Established Member
Any news on Tapatalk yet ? The web based forum isn't very mobile device friendly, we had nearly about 1800 forum members on Tapatalk, so not a niche service. Please can someone look into this ?

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Has anybody had to reset their computer / laptops because of this? Picked up some viruses that date to when we had the original issues... Not very bemused, but not blaming the staff here

Status
Not open for further replies.