• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Forums Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I posted a query on the Tapatalk support forum the other week but I didn't get a reply when I last checked. It seems that their forum is down at the moment (checked on http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com) and it's not just me!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Has anybody had to reset their computer / laptops because of this? Picked up some viruses that date to when we had the original issues...

I refer you here to my post 78 on this thread, which relates to a serious attack that is the result of a bad advert:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=2492189&postcount=78

At the moment I am not able to use my main computer because of an issue caused by an advert on an otherwise perfectly safe site ( possibly not this one but we cannot be 100% sure ). That's putting it mildly actually; it was a 256 bit ransomware attack and this weekend is likely to be the earliest I can get any form of restoration done. No I haven't paid up and I am not going to.

I am now up and running again on a brand new custom built computer with some serious levels of protection built in.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Has anybody had to reset their computer / laptops because of this? Picked up some viruses that date to when we had the original issues... Not very bemused, but not blaming the staff here
So, you actually clicked on the link contained within the dodgy ad?!

miami

Established Member
Then you didn't get a virus from the dodgy ad.

I don't understand what you are saying, but it has nothing to do with the dodgy ad if you didn't click on the link contained within it.

Drive-by-downloads, and drive-by-installs, are quite possible. Not saying that happened in this case, but it's possible

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malvertising
Computers can become infected pre-click and post click. It is a misconception that infection only happens when visitors begin clicking on a malvertisement. "Examples of pre-click malware include being embedded in main scripts of the page or drive-by-downloads. Malware can also auto-run, as in the case of auto redirects, where the user is automatically taken to a different site, which could be malicious. Malware can also be found in the delivery of an ad – where a clean ad that has no malware pre or post click (in its build and design) can still be infected whilst being called.
Malvertising often involves the exploitation of trustworthy companies. Those attempting to spread malware place "clean" advertisements on trustworthy sites first in order to gain a good reputation, then they later "insert a virus or spyware in the code behind the ad, and after a mass virus infection is produced, they remove the virus", thus infecting all visitors of the site during that time period.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Unless someone had ridiculously insecure browser settings this one wouldn't have caused any harm.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
At the time, I had to disable them to load a complicated set of commands that would otherwise be invalid if it was active

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Any update to what you say above?
As soon as l noticed the website was back up, l sent off a reply to someone who offered help and l'm still waiting from someone to get back to me from the company.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
l'm pleased to say that access via the Taptotalk App is now up again.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Scary that I just tried about 10 minutes ago and it worked (using it now) so somehow I must have just felt that it had been fixed...!

Crossover

Established Member

So much so, I am now getting prompts when using Safari on an iDevice to download Tapatalk (via a banner at the top of the page)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Double-post merging seems to still be hit-and-miss. :(

Double post merging seems to end on a specific set of circumstances. For example if a first post contains an attachment, a second consecutive post will not be merged into the first (or vice versa if the attachment is on the second). I'm sure there will be other situations where it occurs but I am fairly sure there will be a pattern behind it

Clip

Established Member
Someone somewhere has embedded either a link or a picture which is harmfull to this forum.

My Avast just went mental with it but I didnit grab the link for you to sort,sorry

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Someone somewhere has embedded either a link or a picture which is harmfull to this forum.

My Avast just went mental with it but I didnit grab the link for you to sort,sorry

Report one of the posts in whichever thread (it's possible that the mods will have already deleted it by now)

chubs

I keep getting the malicious site warning that happened last year for a while too. If I click back then go back to the index again it's fine.

Crossover

Established Member
I'm getting the filestore thing again. I just sent a link to a non member and they had the same issue

Status
Not open for further replies.