• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Class 86/6 fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
But is only in the last fifteen years that Freightiner have been practically sole operator of the class. And they had call on the huge bank of parts when the remainder of the "passenger fleet" were withdrawn. IIRC several 86/2s have passed through Basford Hall on their journey to the scrapman. I agree with "43096" and don't think I would be gambling on any 86/6 overhauls. Although it would be good to see a bit of cash spent on a couple of classics, the twenty three class 90s will cover what is necessary in the short term. Even if the DfT and Network Rail announced the electrification of Felixstowe-Proof House Jn (allowing Lawley St, Hams Hall WCML and ECML destinations) and maybe Nuneaton-Oxford and Southcote Jn-Southampton, neither of those corridors would open to AC traction for 7-8 years minimum, and they would be the only real users of additional electric traction.
Even if they didn't overhaul the entire fleet a few (say 5 or 10) would be nice.

The fact they're five decades old is rather the problem. Some parts won't be manufactured anymore, requiring either rebuilds of existing parts or custom fabrication (£££)
Couldn't they do some upgrades to maybe use class 90 parts in certain areas perhaps or are they largely the same as 86 parts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
The fact they're five decades old is rather the problem. Some parts won't be manufactured anymore, requiring either rebuilds of existing parts or custom fabrication (£££)
Don’t know about cans in particular but 87s are undergoing full overhauls abroad so seems unlikely to be a big issue. Probably far cheaper than parts for UK only locos too. Floyd rebuilt one from a Christmas tree as well.

D365

Veteran Member
Couldn't they do some upgrades to maybe use class 90 parts in certain areas perhaps or are they largely the same as 86 parts?
At that point you might as well just commission Stadler to build you something...

D365

Veteran Member
And how much would that cost?
Much the same as something brand new. An 86 rebuild would be an entirely bespoke design. It wouldn’t be like the Class 69 where Progress Rail have copied most of the architecture from the Class 66.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Advantage of rebuilding 86s would be the body and bogies are already there and probably would use existing motors and maybe transformer. This means cost would be considerably less than buying new?

221101 Voyager

Established Member
If only the motors and compressors etc weren't buggered....
Even if they weren't, the 86s are in desperate need of a repaint as the last ones to be done were the PH liveried ones which was in 2009 and I think the all over green ones were done late 90's. So not surprising they look rather scruffy.

Richard Scott

Established Member
That's not a hard job to sort in grand scheme of things. Can always rewind a motor and even build up the commutator if need to, admittedly it's not cheap but much cheaper than a new one.

xotGD

Established Member
If they are going to rebuild the Cans (86s) they could have a go at 90050...

On Moderation
90050. Is that the loco which caught fire near Coventry in about 2004 and never repaired?
That's the one. It was swapped with 90016 from EWS as the cause was traced back to a maintenance issue (EWS maintained the Freightliner 90s at the time).

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Since they tend to run them in twos, that'd mean that the Class 90s would give a pretty big increase in their capacity to run electric? (AFAIK Freightliners make do with one Class 90 vs two Class 86s)
All the recent trains at Garston have had a pair of 90's on the front.

I've not seen any working solo.

DBS92042

Established Member
All the recent trains at Garston have had a pair of 90's on the front.

I've not seen any working solo.
I think Freightliner almost exclusively run the 90s in pairs these days. There is the odd exception like 90047 today ran solo with a few FLA wagons, although this was the first solo FL 90 I've seen since 2017!

palmersears

Established Member
Is 90050 still used for spares? If not, why is it still there and not being turned into razor blades? Is it the cost of scrapping outweighing the potential returns?

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Motors will likely be fine with minimal maintenance. A commutator clean, new brushes and shaft bearings and they should be good. The worst examples may need a rewind.

However they are DC and less efficient than three phase AC motors. Therefore power consumption can be reduced by retractioning.

Compressors would likely be worn out.

50 year old bodies are probably suffering from corrosion.
In short I agree that replacement locos are the better option.

Tynwald

Is 90050 still used for spares? If not, why is it still there and not being turned into razor blades? Is it the cost of scrapping outweighing the potential returns?
I don't think there are any spares left on it. Just a shell I think. 86632 now dumped out of the way.

DJH1971

Established Member
Have the 86/6's now been withdrawn?

Driving past Garston FLT almost every workday for the last few weeks and there have been none there, instead there have been Class 66's as well as couple of ex-Anglia (as well as ex-ICWC and ex-VTWC) 90's.

221101 Voyager

Established Member
My thoughts exactly.

Would it mean warm storage too?
Nope. I've seen a shot of a long line of FL 86's stored outside Basford Hall can't find the image at the mo though.

Here is the photo I was thinking of all of the 86s lined up outisde Crewe in February 2021.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.