• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner Intermodal after trainee drivers across UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Thanks Rocket, it seems that this is an IM intake, so sounds like if we're lucky enough to get in we're on the better path. Just as a guide, could you tell me what sort of routes I might sign if I got in for Eastleigh? As that's where I'm hoping for.

Also I didn't get a confirmation email either, I guess its just a case of waiting and hoping. I noticed on the application site they said they won't be accepting calls or emails regarding the vacancies, so sounds like we can't even chase.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rugd1022

I'm going to put you guys straight on here, because reading through your post's, I'm not sure where you get your info from.

HH have a higher basic pay than Intermodal

HH is around 48k, not sure but its near that mark, but I don't take interest

Intermodal, just under 43K, plus around £1900 sign on, plus Lodge 3hrs or 5hrs
The sign on and lodge are not pensionable.

HH is on a higher basic, but they have no structure in rosters, some depots never had sign on times, only am. pm or nights. (might of change).
HH have no conditions in a sense.
Their work consist of Network stuff, loads of nights and T3 possessions.

Intermodal. We have a roster, we know what we are doing, we don't work many Saturdays and vary rare a Sunday. We have sociable sign on times and our work is from A to B

We have conditions......If you get taken off a job you get 2 hrs plus the extra time (but that a agreement between you and the roster clerk). If your signing on time is modified you get 2hrs and if your rostered job is longer you get the extra paid at double time. If your job is modified over 1hr and you are ok to run with it, you get 3hrs extra plus double time if your over your rostered hours.

There are other conditions, but it gives you some idea. what we get.

Right pay

Not sure what the training money is, but when you pass out as a qualified driver you will be on 6k less than us intermodal dvrs, not sure at HH but they will normally follow suite.
You will not be on full salary for a while and not sure how long for.

Overtime....HH were paid yearly but that might of change, plus your on annualised hours. This means if your under you contract hrs of around 16?? a year, they could give you longer jobs to make up your hours.

Intermodal works out at 35hrs a week "OVER" the course of the roster and works like a pass company. Overtime is 4 weekly.

You will be put into a starter link at Intermodal, not sure on HH and will only do local work. Don't expect to be going all round the country like us for a while, and you will have to wait for a vacancy to come up.

I've been on the freight for 30 years and in my eyes Intermodal is the better. All people are different but I know where I want to be at wkends, and most still earn into the mid 50's +.

AND YOU DON'T GET FREE TRAVEL EITHER, that's for staff that joined before 1996 only !!

I hope this helps and give you a bit of insight.

Good post there Rocket but one point I'd pick up on is that HH rosters are slightly different depending on which depot you're at - some have an 'open / blank roster' but ours at Rugby is still based on the old 'three window' one.

Also our annual pay - it's now £49,011 basic with an hourly rate of £26.84. We used to be paid overtime in a lump sum once a year but it's now paid monthly.

I can certainly understand you being happy at Intermodal but at the moment (at Rugby at least) we still get plenty of long weekends off. We do have a lot of infrastructure work but the number of actual weekend ballast turns isn't that high at the moment. I've got mates at Lawley Street who keep asking me when I'm going to jump ship but at present the numbers / travelling equation doesn't quite stack up for me - I can't deny I've given it some though but I'm happy to stay at HH.

All the best,

Nidge ;)

Last edited:

Treadstone

not happy the test didn't state the number of questions, was stressing big time and didn't know if there were any questions on the next page, so in a panic clicked to the next page even though I still had 5 mins, only to find equal opportunities etc, hopefully I have done enough.

Lightning

not happy the test didn't state the number of questions, was stressing big time and didn't know if there were any questions on the next page, so in a panic clicked to the next page even though I still had 5 mins, only to find equal opportunities etc, hopefully I have done enough.

Yep, I did exactly the same thing. Maybe it did say how many questions there would be, but I didn't notice. Doh!

Treadstone

Think I read on the heavy haul feed flhh hr posted that there are no confirmation emails if you received the last page stating application submitted we will notify successful applicants in June then your application has been received.

Mine said may 2015 lol.

Lddex

I'm on about the confirmation of submission you get at the end of the process, which one or two others above have mentioned getting also

Oh.
Thought there may have been two different roles. As the final page for me confirmed the original home page of the application being Sometime in May.

Strange that there are two different dates. Unless they did change it later.

Saltire

Hi Guys, can anyone give me an idea of how regularly IM drivers lodge away? Is it the odd night here and there or is it multiple times in a week? Is it dependent on which depot you're at? Also what is the standard of the digs? I wouldnt expect 5star but not a flea-ridden hovel either.
Many thanks

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Oh.
Thought there may have been two different roles. As the final page for me confirmed the original home page of the application being Sometime in May.

Strange that there are two different dates. Unless they did change it later.

I'm guessing that they just changed it later, as it actually said to me June 2014 :P

387star

On Moderation
Hi Guys, can anyone give me an idea of how regularly IM drivers lodge away? Is it the odd night here and there or is it multiple times in a week? Is it dependent on which depot you're at? Also what is the standard of the digs? I wouldnt expect 5star but not a flea-ridden hovel either.
Many thanks

:lol:

Pacerpilot

Good post there Rocket but one point I'd pick up on is that HH rosters are slightly different depending on which depot you're at - some have an 'open / blank roster' but ours at Rugby is still based on the old 'three window' one.

Also our annual pay - it's now £49,011 basic with an hourly rate of £26.84. We used to be paid overtime in a lump sum once a year but it's now paid monthly.

I can certainly understand you being happy at Intermodal but at the moment (at Rugby at least) we still get plenty of long weekends off. We do have a lot of infrastructure work but the number of actual weekend ballast turns isn't that high at the moment. I've got mates at Lawley Street who keep asking me when I'm going to jump ship but at present the numbers / travelling equation doesn't quite stack up for me - I can't deny I've given it some though but I'm happy to stay at HH.

All the best,

Nidge ;)

At Brizzle we have a link of 40 lines with timebands of 0300, 0900, 1500 and 2100 with four hours movement from that time 5 day week, dependant if there actually five days of work for you to do. Some weeks you'll work everyday, but last summer I worked about 8 days in as many weeks. We get a week of few days every 6 weeks. Very few weekends unless you opt to work your rest days.

Last edited:

Rocket

Thanks Rocket, it seems that this is an IM intake, so sounds like if we're lucky enough to get in we're on the better path. Just as a guide, could you tell me what sort of routes I might sign if I got in for Eastleigh? As that's where I'm hoping for.

Also I didn't get a confirmation email either, I guess its just a case of waiting and hoping. I noticed on the application site they said they won't be accepting calls or emails regarding the vacancies, so sounds like we can't even chase.

Last edited:

Nick82

Hi guys, I currently live in the North East. Has anyone have any info on if there looking for applicants in the North East area?

Lee2553

I had major problems today, got to the aptitude page then chilled for 5 mins, clicked start and all I saw was a mishmash of incomplete diagrams, pictograms and questions overlaid on top of others... couldn't even guess one question :x:x
No amount of browser setting adjustments made any difference and it ended up running out of time. :(

Was using firefox 36.0.3

Greenyeti

Are you sure there was anything wrong - sounds like you're describing the test to me! ;)

I wasn't expecting those sort questions, some were pretty tough IMO. I just about finished on time but had to guess the O and X grid question.

387star

On Moderation
Are you sure there was anything wrong - sounds like you're describing the test to me! ;)

I wasn't expecting those sort questions, some were pretty tough IMO. I just about finished on time but had to guess the O and X grid question.

If ever there was a reason to buy the barons mechanical aptitude test book this is it all the questions types are explained in that book

AD15

£1900 sign on??? What's this, just for turning in for work??

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
If ever there was a reason to buy the barrons mechanical aptitude test book this is it all the questions types are explained in that book

Also this is useful http://tests.practiceaptitudetests.com/diagrammatic-reasoning-tests/testdiaga (diagrammatic reasoning)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

/QUOTE]

£1900 sign on??? What's this, just for turning in for work??

Damn sounds good to me <D

Last edited:

Texas

Application all done and sent, just got to wait now with baited breath and fingers crossed!

Tex.
Anyone have any ideas on pass marks for the initial tests?

I would expect that due to the number of applications that are going to be recieved for this then unless all answers are 100% correct it will not go to the next level, this is a way to sift through the large numbers recieved in a fair and equal manner with relative ease for the company.

Tex.

387star

On Moderation
Application all done and sent, just got to wait now with baited breath and fingers crossed!

Tex.

I would expect that due to the number of applications that are going to be recieved for this then unless all answers are 100% correct it will not go to the next level, this is a way to sift through the large numbers recieved in a fair and equal manner with relative ease for the company.

Tex.

I got through last time and pretty sure they weren't all correct

I think the overall,application is more important not everyone can remember circuits etc

theboywonder

Exactly the same, application in, test done, and already passed all assessments & MMI.

Let the waiting commence..

Same as most others application in and assessments done just the waiting game now!

Quick question for everyone

In the section about education i didnt have a clue about what grades i got from school so just filled in what schools id been to (as im getting on a bit now) would tghat be okay

robin

JAMBO

Good company to work for according to drivers I've spoke to, step on step off, no van driving, don't even think they couple train up or pull a hand point,think it's all booked work so you know what your working , it's poles apart compared to heavy haul, where it's long diagrams at all hours of the day,rostering not great, shunting and car driving duties. Plus lots of additional payments for sign on and say diagram changes, For an easier ride I'd choose intermodal any day :)

kelv

Application In as well.

Has anyone received any kind of email confirmation of their application being received ?

Status
Not open for further replies.