• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner trainee driver positions ('Graduate scheme')

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joof

Hi mate, no I have heard nothing in 9 weeks now, pretty scary no mail no email no call, I take it as good news and some unfortunate people have been told a few weeks ago they haven't been successful, I need to know asap as I've got to renew my lease on my unit soon and don't want to if I'm going to be starting soon! What stage are you at? Did you get a call after tye interview if you've had one?

Just had my interview today mate. 9 weeks is a long time to wait I hope u get good news soon. Was weeks for me between stage 2 and interview. I honestly thought there would be more to the interview than their was. Did my best so will wait and see now. You would think they would tell people sonner than they have. They must be very busy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Choo13

Got my medical today, little bit nervous,
This waiting game is not nice for anyone, not to put a downer on things but when I had my first interview they rang me next day an said I was in, then waited about a week for my physcometric date, I done my exams and the next day they rang an said I passed, then about a week later got a date for my medical, which is today......

Cerebral

Got my medical today, little bit nervous,
This waiting game is not nice for anyone, not to put a downer on things but when I had my first interview they rang me next day an said I was in, then waited about a week for my physcometric date, I done my exams and the next day they rang an said I passed, then about a week later got a date for my medical, which is today......

Choo13 are you attempting to join Heavy Haul or Intermodal? The order in which you have stated appears to be for Intermodal that's why I ask, I wasn't aware of an interview being first for Heavy Haul?

Choo13

Hi yeh it's the trainee driver graduate not heavy haul, you have a first initial interview at the depot then they decide to put you thru for testing etc! Everything seemed pretty rushed to be honest but I guess in a way that's good! Had my medical yesterday, just waiting for results to come back then I should receive a start date!!

Gash923

Phoned freightliner medical passed. Hopefully just playing the waiting game now
Been 8 weeks now since interview and no news re medical. Part of me wants to ring but I was told at the interview not to, and others on here have received a less than welcoming response by phoning them!

Itsme77

Been 8 weeks now since interview and no news re medical. Part of me wants to ring but I was told at the interview not to, and others on here have received a less than welcoming response by phoning them!

Yeh I was told the same at my interview 8-9 weeks and don't phone but i was told I'd find out in a week about the medical result from the doctor conducting it so I called the company and they said they had completed my medical and forwarded it to freighters and I should phone them

Midge

Anyone have an idea how many failed stage one and stage two and how many including me failed the final interview?

Might they advertise again next year? I understand passes valid for five years with freightliner presumably they will still consider an application from me in the future

ML - did you actually got informed you weren't successful?

Joof

Anyone have an idea how many failed stage one and stage two and how many including me failed the final interview?

Might they advertise again next year? I understand passes valid for five years with freightliner presumably they will still consider an application from me in the future

How long after interview did they let you know you were unsuccessful

Joof

By letter about four weeks or so after interview

Did they give you any feedback or anything. Did you think the interview went well or did u struggle with any of the questions. Only asking as I think I messed up but trying to remain positive.

The Snap

Established Member
I was interviewed back in June and haven't been invited for a medical. Haven't had anything saying I was unsuccessful either though... 😕

dakta

Likewise. I'm slightly concerned because it coincides with some problems I've had with royal mail.

If it wasn't for the royal mail thing I'd be content to just sit tight as there's often no obvious exterior logic to these processes so it's probably not productive to try and think too deeply about it. If there's a few that have yet heard nothing, besides myself then I'd just remain positive, or at least open minded. I wish y'all the best of luck.

Daz9284

Hello all

I have just joined the forum. I had my interview on Wednesday 24th Sept at Crewe for the HH graduate driver scheme. I live near Ferrybridge PS so I am hoping to be based around here as I know it will take time to sell my house and buy another.

Laura said that they are busy interviewing all this week and next, so expect a response the week after (w/c 6th Oct).

My interview lasted about 20 minutes.

regards,
Darryl

Last edited:

Cerebral

Just got a letter today, it is a no go for me I failed the MMI. I sat it two months ago, I rang HR on Tuesday, got letter today.

Slightly mystified as to why it has taken 2 months when they know it was a definite no and they would have known within a week off the OPC. Would it not have been easier just to blank mail out the No letters and got them out of the way? Strange.

It appears I answered 5 questions fine but did not do good enough on one of them. The real irony was it was the question about an emergency/pressurised situation, the one I thought was my true strength! Apparently dealing calmly and correctly under extreme pressures as I was a Police Officer, plus other high pressured jobs, was insufficient :p

Phoned OPC for feedback but all they tell you is which question(s) you failed on with zero further information (which was to be expected). So you are still just as clueless as to what went wrong with the answer. Did I miss a buzzword? Did I just not explain the answer correctly? Which box did I not tick? etc...

So I can go again in 6 months (about 4 months now!), as I have another life, but I have zero idea how to approach it differently due to basically no feedback. I will have another go especially as I know that in that failed area I have a proven track record of years of dealing with things just fine in just about any of those situations. Seems I just don't know how to word it too well when explaining it to someone, haha.

Best of luck to those who got through, hope you have more luck than me!

Rocombe11

I wouldn't be to downhearted ml, I was in a similar situation to you last year, "failed" the interview with FL (turned into Mr Magoo right at the end). But I had passed all the tests like yourself so was able to interview for a TOC, passed the interview and am now waiting for a start date with them which I was told at interview should be January. But in the meantime have contacted FL again ( no firm job offer from the TOC, just on a talent pool list) and asked if they would see me again this year and they said yes, albeit one of the last to be interviewed I think, 8 October. There is always hope and you did the hard part which is to pass the tests, look on the interviews as practice with no sudden death, just have to apply again until you get what you want. Your results are good for most TOCs to go straight to interview stage. Good luck for the future.

Last edited:

steve900

I wouldn't be to downhearted ml, I was in a similar situation to you last year, "failed" the interview with FL (turned into Mr Magoo right at the end). But I had passed all the tests like yourself so was able to interview for a TOC, passed the interview and am now waiting for a start date with them which I was told at interview should be January. But in the meantime have contacted FL again ( no firm job offer from the TOC, just on a talent pool list) and asked if they would see me again this year and they said yes, albeit one of the last to be interviewed I think, 8 October. There is always hope and you did the hard part which is to pass the tests, look on the interviews as practice with no sudden death, just have to apply again until you get what you want. Your results are good for most TOCs to go straight to interview stage. Good luck for the future.
I'n in in 8th Oct too, was in the last tranche of the first stage of testing at Crewe tho.

Hendo1975

Eh up Daz!
I'm not far from ferrybridge either ! got my interview in october ! did you talk about ferrybridge routes etc ,how did you think it went ?

Joof

Hi guys. Just wondering how many people are still in the loop. I Know some people are waiting for interviews and I believe the final ones are next week. I am waiting to see if I was successful with my DM interview (I really hope so!!!!). I seem to remember at the first stage of the psychometrics, the fella doing the tests said there were 180 people at that stage, then obviously a few less at stage 2 in Watford and a few more were unsuccessful after that. So I am just wondering how many people actually got through to the DM interview stage? Any idea anybody????????

Daz9284

Eh up Daz!
I'm not far from ferrybridge either ! got my interview in october ! did you talk about ferrybridge routes etc ,how did you think it went ?

Where do you live? i live in Sherburn-in-Elmet.

They asked how a train would get from York to Crewe. I think it went well, but tbh i have never had such an informal interview so it was hard to tell. I answered all the questions and i was in there about 20-25 mins.

good luck!

regards,
daz

Joof

They asked how a train would get from York to Crewe. I think it went well, but tbh i have never had such an informal interview so it was hard to tell. I answered all the questions and i was in there about 20-25 mins.

good luck!

regards,
daz

Hi Daz 9284. I live near Doncaster that was my first option n ferrybridge my
second. I was asked about a train route and really didn't know so I said "im sorry, I honestly cant answer that as I don't know" . I think this may have been my downfall and a fail. I hope not but we will see. Answered all other questions as well as I could. Very informal like you say tho.

Gash923

Hi guys. Just wondering how many people are still in the loop. I Know some people are waiting for interviews and I believe the final ones are next week. I am waiting to see if I was successful with my DM interview (I really hope so!!!!). I seem to remember at the first stage of the psychometrics, the fella doing the tests said there were 180 people at that stage, then obviously a few less at stage 2 in Watford and a few more were unsuccessful after that. So I am just wondering how many people actually got through to the DM interview stage? Any idea anybody????????

Hi there. Congrats on getting through so far. To answer your question......if you take a look through the recent pages of this thread you will get the answer. There's certainly a few (including Me) waiting to hear back from the final interview. Others have either passed a medical and waiting for a start date or yet to sit the final interview.

Joof

Hi there. Congrats on getting through so far. To answer your question......if you take a look through the recent pages of this thread you will get the answer. There's certainly a few (including Me) waiting to hear back from the final interview. Others have either passed a medical and waiting for a start date or yet to sit the final interview.

Looked back through the threads Gash923. seems a lot of people are waiting now. strange how some have had phone calls. I have not had one phone call the whole way through any of the process. Confirmed my number at interview as well so I cant explain that. Now that the September intake is underway im sure within the next 2 to 3 weeks people will start to hear some news. I, like most people, am hoping for good news! best of luck everybody.

Hendo1975

good luck!

regards,
daz

Oh right,i'm in York. Are you already in the rail industry? Sounds like you did as much as you could mate . good luck to you too !

Status
Not open for further replies.