• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Freightliner - Trainee Drivers 2022 - (01/11/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mbay

Did apply but still not heard anything. I take it they're not going to bother?

4F89

As are basically all Train Driving roles to a point. Depending on the depot you’re based at within your area you could find IM to be more interesting than HH or the other way around.
HH have a lot more random routes than IM

Dieseldriver

HH have a lot more random routes than IM
Good for them. For the most part, I find that a fixed roster which enables me to make plans in my social life is more beneficial than driving a train on a random branch line.

Morning. When was Trafford advertised for trainees? A while ago obviously if you are sat in a talent pool. Must have missed that one.
I applied for a different depot but my application was moved to Trafford. I was put in the talent pool about 8 months ago.

I ‘be been put in the talent pool for Crewe. I’ve already been in the talent pool for Trafford for 8 months so I won’t be holding my breath!

Mgv1349

You CAN, but if you want to, is another matter.
You can’t from outside the industry anymore, only from another rail company.

IM is boring tho....
You only drive IM trains..

Been doing some research on whether to go HH or IM. Any advice?
What depot have you applied for? I’d say IM but some HH depots have some good work. IM you can plan things a lot easier as you have a 13 week base roster with some booked work in, on HH you’re given a rest day pattern and a time band and get your shifts the Friday for the following Sunday so not much time to plan. If you want to earn a lot of money and don’t mind being at work all the time then HH.

Last edited:

Locornwall

HH, less family friendly rostering, slightly higher pay.
IM, more predictable rostering, slightly lower pay.
Both work very unsociable hours but with IM you are able to plan your life a bit better.
Just my own opinion but personally I would choose IM over HH given the choice.
Thanks for the advice.

You can’t from outside the industry anymore, only from another rail company.

You only drive IM trains..

What depot have you applied for? I’d say IM but some HH depots have some good work. IM you can plan things a lot easier as you have a 13 week base roster with some booked work in, on HH you’re given a rest day pattern and a time band and get your shifts the Friday for the following Sunday so not much time to plan. If you want to earn a lot of money and don’t mind being at work all the time then HH.
Are you sure you can’t transfer in a pension. I contacted rail pensions the other day who said you can.

morriss

Hi all, got a DMI for Bedford this week, any tips? Looked through the forums and feel like I’m getting there with prep, any more info on the routes/traction? Looks like it’s mostly construction materials with class 66’s in and out of London just want to make sure I’m on the right track.
Also anyone else gone for Bedford haven’t really seen anyone in here
Cheers

FrankOwen

You can earn far more money on HH. IM's fixed roster (granted, a bonus) means that the company can man shifts more efficiently.

Mgv1349

Thanks for the advice.

Are you sure you can’t transfer in a pension. I contacted rail pensions the other day who said you can.
Oh I might be wrong then but someone on my course a few years ago wanted to put his police pension in and was told they aren’t accepting pensions from industry’s outside the railway anymore.

morriss

I’ve got a DMI at Bedford next week
Cool congrats!
How you feeling about it? Bit worried about route knowledge as don’t really know the area or route, not much info on here about Bedford specific work.

Last edited:

Locornwall

No I don’t know about the routes, not much information out there that I can find.

I’ve prepared but how long is a piece of string.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Anybody able to make comment on what life is like at Tilbury on the Containers?

I’ve got a DMI at Bedford next week
Bedford are quite good I think. You do Bow, Dagenham, Thurrock, Acton, Theale, Radlett, Luton Crescent, Brentford and I want to say you go as far as Nuneaton and Toton?

FrankOwen

Bedford drivers go to Dagenham, Theale, Elstow, Luton, Bow and Radlett (probably a few others) relieving Peak District drivers.
Edit: 4sub answered above

morriss

cheers guys appreciate that! Coming from LNWR so completely different! any idea on rosters, currently on a 3 week long weekend pattern assuming it won’t be quite as nice aha

Dean88

Got an email about being put forward for a DMI last Tuesday but still haven't had the phone call, anyone else in the same boat?

magoogle

Evening folks. Quick one. I have my interview Thursday, I’m as prepared as I can be. Only I’m stuck on what I should ask at the end when they ask if I have any questions. I know about the company etc.. and feel my usual questions would be a bit weak for such a role.

thanks in advance.

AB1973

Evening folks. Quick one. I have my interview Thursday, I’m as prepared as I can be. Only I’m stuck on what I should ask at the end when they ask if I have any questions. I know about the company etc.. and feel my usual questions would be a bit weak for such a role.

thanks in advance.
Hi, is this for Freightliner?

Sean123

Managed to get a DMI in Crewe. Does anybody know what to expect? Also, does anybody have any tips and what questions to ask at the end? Thanks.

ParZival

Managed to get a DMI in Crewe. Does anybody know what to expect? Also, does anybody have any tips and what questions to ask at the end? Thanks.
Well done and good luck, did you get an email or phone call to confirm the interview? Loads of information regarding these questions on these forums.
Search function top of page far right
Have you done the vse sje before finding out that you have an interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.