• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Future of Newhaven Marine and Harbour Stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

backontrack

Established Member
If it keeps a station open, Arctic, then its good...

Seriously, though, I'd close whichever of the two stations was losing the most money

Please explain these contradictory statements.

Close Town and Harbour, and reinstate Marine as a terminal station once again - jobs a good one... Heck, I'll do the blooming painting myself

Marine has no purpose. It's out of Newhaven and doesn't serve anything - no ferries are there anymore. Newhaven Town serves the town of Newhaven, and also the ferry service to Dieppe. Please explain this logic as well.

Here are some usage statistics:

NEWHAVEN TOWN: 0.320 million
NEWHAVEN HARBOUR: 50,878
BISHOPSTONE: 30,934
SEAFORD: 0.798 million

I think that explains it rather well.

More to the point, I'm surprised that no-one wants to close Bishopstone or, more obviously, Southease, with usage totalling 20,662. This is solidified by the fact that it only sees half as many trains as all the other stations do.

Please can we look at statistical evidence before making impractical statements?

backontrack

Established Member
I see.

I'd actually be intrigued to know the custom that Newhaven Marine actually received prior to its demotion to parly status. Anyone know where I can find this out?

Many thanks.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I see.

I'd actually be intrigued to know the custom that Newhaven Marine actually received prior to its demotion to parly status. Anyone know where I can find this out?

Many thanks.

Gone through the passenger figures as far back as 97-98 (the earliest set I could find) and NVM doesn't appear in any of them at all...! I suppose that somebody else might have it

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Storage for 442s?

Joking aside, I know that one day the formal closure notice will go up - I just want to see it go out with passengers

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
That's fair enough. I thought that you were referring to a proper reopening! :lol:

Well there must be something in the works as the ticket machines accept the three letter station code as valid as well as manually entering the station name- no prices, but they were installed AFTER the station closed so that must mean something. Occasional tweets to Southern hint at some reopening plan as well

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Just out of curiosity, I could just about do a trip to NVM to get the "Ghost train" in and still have enough time to get a train back to London and another back to Hull in one day...

Worth a visit

sarahj

Established Member
I'm shocked, there is no way that Bishopstone gets less passengers than Harbour. Harbour at most gets the odd one, but mainly none. There is always a couple at Bishopstone, sometimes a few, sometimes even into double figs. I can only guess that folks buy a ticket to Harbour for the ferry (as they do) then find out they need to get out at Town, that makes the figs for Harbour that high.

Sometimes when working the ghost train, if its a nice night I get out and have a look around to see whats what. I've seen the odd thing that I've been tempted to 'take home'. ;) It does seem odd without the roof. I did my 313 training there, opening and shutting the doors, etc. Plus we did a test where I stood in the doors and we closed them to see what the pressure was like. Jolly japes...

Attachments

• 0013.jpg
    0013.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 262

sarahj

Established Member
Some more pics, soz about the poor quality.

Attachments

• 0014.jpg
    0014.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 286
  • 0017.jpg
    0017.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 279

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Some more pics, soz about the poor quality.

No need to apologise, they're decent enough especially considering you were presumably working!

Are there not any industrial buildings in the vicinity of Harbour that the station would or could serve? I've a vague memory of some the one time I used Newhaven to get to France but that was 18 years ago (and now I feel old!).

sarahj

Established Member
There are a few, one of the biggest is now a Brighton bus depot, a drivers going to and from work are one of the major users of the station. There is also a scrap yard. There used to be a parker pen factory, but that's gone. (cheaper to make elsewhere) and has now been knocked down. The saddest site is a boarded up workmens club (CIS). Other than a sewerage works, thats it.:( Most of the rest is located next to Town. Harbour is dying, even the station building is a peeling mess. There has been plans, but the 2008 crisis trashed that. Even the ferry route is kept going by the french supporting it. All very sad.

rf_ioliver

There are a few, one of the biggest is now a Brighton bus depot, a drivers going to and from work are one of the major users of the station. There is also a scrap yard. There used to be a parker pen factory, but that's gone. (cheaper to make elsewhere) and has now been knocked down. The saddest site is a boarded up workmens club (CIS). Other than a sewerage works, thats it.:( Most of the rest is located next to Town. Harbour is dying, even the station building is a peeling mess. There has been plans, but the 2008 crisis trashed that.

Prime land for luxury housing development? When I lived there in the 90s both stations looked to be pretty much in a run-down state then.

Even the ferry route is kept going by the french supporting it. All very sad.

Ironic in a way given the current EU debate... :)

However it was/is a very useful crossing, especially for the students from Brighton and Sussex universities...

Is there anywhere where I could get the ferry pax/freight statistics over the years?

t.

Ian

Townsend Hook

There are a few, one of the biggest is now a Brighton bus depot, a drivers going to and from work are one of the major users of the station. There is also a scrap yard. There used to be a parker pen factory, but that's gone. (cheaper to make elsewhere) and has now been knocked down. The saddest site is a boarded up workmens club (CIS). Other than a sewerage works, thats it.:( Most of the rest is located next to Town. Harbour is dying, even the station building is a peeling mess. There has been plans, but the 2008 crisis trashed that. Even the ferry route is kept going by the french supporting it. All very sad.

One would think that in today's resurgent economy that a snazzy new housing development or two coupled with a better peak time train service to London would do wonders.

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I noticed that permission to demolish the buildings around the station has been granted with work to start soon - NVM station buildings to remain

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Are they planning a redevelopment of the area?

I don't know, but there must be a reason why they are demolishing it all. NVM's building/buildings are remaining intact for now.

I would have said flats, but maybe they want the site for a factory - dead useful to have a railway station next door! I mean, you could send stuff away by rail

Downlander

Just seen a picture on twitter of the Marine station building half-demolished :(

Kicking myself as I'd been meaning to take the tape-measure down there for an afternoon ahead of a modelling/scratchbuilding project...sighs!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think you unluckily chose the wrong thread to resurrect, it is also under discussion here: ( link failed)

Last edited:

sarahj

Established Member
Well all that's left now is some twisted metal and a brick wall. Will be doing the ghost train this coming week, so new photos soon, perhaps even the right way up!!

Gathursty

Established Member
Here are some usage statistics:

NEWHAVEN TOWN: 0.320 million
NEWHAVEN HARBOUR: 50,878
BISHOPSTONE: 30,934
SEAFORD: 0.798 million

Newhaven Town - Newhaven Harbour Annual Gold Card Season Ticket is just £164. Might tempt a few people who may never go to Newhaven.

Crossover

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.