• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GB News

Typhoon

Established Member
Noticed Conservative MP Dehenna Davison hasn’t been on The Political Correction for two weeks now, and Farage hasn’t been seen since the start of the year.

BUT for the past two weeks it’s been hosted by Arlene Foster & Michael Portillo. Is he a regular presenter now? (he also appeared as a panellist on Tonight in the week)
Farage is gearing up for 'Farage at Large'
Over a pint he'll debate the tough subjects of the day, interview guests and host a Q&A with the audience which will be broadcast live across the U.K. on GB News.

If you want to be part of the audience, book a ticket today!

Tickets cost £1.50 and include a free drink on arrival
Thursday 3rd Feb from Blackpool https://www.gbnews.uk/farage-at-large
There is a link to a map of Blackpool (in case anyone is unsure where it is)

Farage was actually on 'Any Questions' (R4) 2 or 3 weeks ago. A poor edition - Chris Mason, did not keep Farage in check when others were answering.

The poster stars appear to be 'Eamonn and Isabel' now, Farage is demoted to row two of the GB family. Simon McCoy is on row 6 (I thought he'd gone). I also notice Anne Diamond is listed as appearing on Breakfast at the weekend!
Is Kirsty Gallagher still about? HR must be struggling to keep up.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Farage is gearing up for 'Farage at Large'
But he’s been on for all his other shows?

I also notice Anne Diamond is listed as appearing on Breakfast at the weekend!
Yep she’s been on it since the start of the year, it’s been implied that it’s a permanent position but she let slip on an interview on Tonight about a month before she started that her contract is only for 8 weeks.

Is Kirsty Gallagher still about?
She is still on the channel but posted last year she was diagnosed with a tumour, although I note she’s still doing her radio show.

Last edited:

Typhoon

Established Member
But he’s been on for all his other shows?

Yep she’s been on it since the start of the year, it’s been implied that it’s a permanent position but she let slip on an interview on Tonight about a month before she started that her contract is only for 8 weeks.
Maybe 8 weeks is 'permanent' for GB news these days?

Farage - I would imagine they will want the 'Farage at Large' feature to be a success, get GB News around the country and if anyone is going to get the crowds in, it is him. It will also remind the general public (voters) the Farage is still about, maybe 'Fortune & Freedom' isn't doing so well and he is thinking of returning to politics. I would have thought that Farage was on a bigger hourly rate than Portillo or Foster, and he will be paid more for 'at Large' than his regular show (if only because it will take more time). Cutting his other output back will do something to reduce the wage bill.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Farage - I would imagine they will want the 'Farage at Large' feature to be a success, get GB News around the country and if anyone is going to get the crowds in, it is him.
Don’t understand though, this would have been at least the fifth ‘Farage at Large’ though, and he did The Political Correction, and indeed, his regular Mon-Thu slot, as normal around when those were both on.

Typhoon

Established Member
Don’t understand though, this would have been at least the fifth ‘Farage at Large’ though, and he did The Political Correction, and indeed, his regular Mon-Thu slot, as normal around when those were both on.
Sorry - I thought 'at Large' was new. Maybe they are trying to avoid overkill or keep the wage bill down?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Is Farage at Large about Nigel getting up early now to sing the national anthem while wrapped in a Union Flag up on some hill, looking out for illegal immigrants pouring in? The grift now being that he's charging people to come worship him do it.

alex397

Established Member
Is Farage at Large about Nigel getting up early now to sing the national anthem while wrapped in a Union Flag up on some hill, looking out for illegal immigrants pouring in? The grift now being that he's charging people to come worship him do it.
It would be the White Cliffs of Dover, surely? With Natalie Elphicke holding the binoculars.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Noticed Conservative MP Dehenna Davison hasn’t been on The Political Correction for two weeks now, and Farage hasn’t been seen since the start of the year.

BUT for the past two weeks it’s been hosted by Arlene Foster & Michael Portillo. Is he a regular presenter now? (he also appeared as a panellist on Tonight in the week)
Dehenna is back this week, still no Farage.

At £1.50 a ticket, including a free drink, I don’t really think it’s a profitmaking exercise, more just makes more interesting TV and engagement.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Given he had to cancel other events for not selling enough tickets, he's found that £1.50 is about his level.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Andrew Neil off to Channel 4 for a Sunday evening programme of his own.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Another change to the Friday evening schedules on GB News, just a few weeks after the last changes at the start of the year.

Patrick Christys has, at last, been given a peak time slot, and will host a new show from 7pm-9pm called Friday Night Feast.

This replaces Mark Steyn who will now only work Mon - Thu, and Alastair Stewart, who only just started hosting on Fridays, who will revert to being weekends only.

brad465

Established Member
Another change to the Friday evening schedules on GB News, just a few weeks after the last changes at the start of the year.

Patrick Christys has, at last, been given a peak time slot, and will host a new show from 7pm-9pm called Friday Night Feast.

This replaces Mark Steyn who will now only work Mon - Thu, and Alastair Stewart, who only just started hosting on Fridays, who will revert to being weekends only.
Do we know what viewing figures are like these days? I recall some commentators/correspondents predicting it won't last beyond a year. For this to be the case it would have to shut up shop in the next 4 months. I think declining/dwindling ratings have been happening, given all the departures and shake ups, but can't tell if it's happening fast enough for the year prediction to happen.

Scotrail12

Christys is good and deserved a promotion to primetime.

I'm overall done with GB News though, they keep rehiring Jon Gaunt even though he consistently bullies other panelists, I don't know what sort of message they are trying to send out by not getting rid and instead letting him be really quite foul to people on live TV. And there are several others like Carole Malone & Benjamin Butterworth who we're subjected to on the primetime panel shows and they just grind my gears. I just can't be bothered listening to their drivel any more. Shame because there are some good people on the channel.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Do we know what viewing figures are like these days? I recall some commentators/correspondents predicting it won't last beyond a year. For this to be the case it would have to shut up shop in the next 4 months. I think declining/dwindling ratings have been happening, given all the departures and shake ups, but can't tell if it's happening fast enough for the year prediction to happen.

They don't seem to like submitting their figures, but it does seem they're still struggling with some programmes registering as 0 views because of the way things are graded. I don't know if they've submitted data for their DAB broadcasts either?

I'm told they have funding for two years, so regardless of how well they are doing (or not), they won't be closing it - and will continue to try and tweak things to find an audience.

They don't even seem to get much engagement on Twitter when they post stories about Meghan Markle or kids being told to take a vaccine, and other obvious topics designed to wind people up. I think one Tweet that got a LOT of comments was about a teacher who slept with a (ex?) student and naturally 90% of the comments were 'Lucky boy' and 'Wish I had a teacher like that when I was at school'. Pretty predictable stuff really.

365 Networker

They don't seem to like submitting their figures
There are some figures available:-

And for Farage:-

Overall, they do seem to be doing better than those on the left predicted, for example having more subscribers than LBC on YouTube.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Visited my parents recently and they enjoy this channel, therefore got to see the morning show first hand.

Have to say, seemed quite enjoyable and it's nice to see Anne Diamond back at the helm :)

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Overall, they do seem to be doing better than those on the left predicted, for example having more subscribers than LBC on YouTube.

That's because the entire social media operation is actually very good. They upload a huge amount of content, and it's all designed to be shared easily. They know what they're doing, which is why a huge amount of their uploads consists of things like "should unborn babies have rights?". They know that by pushing such content, they can access an international audience, which will push their numbers up further. It's also why a lot of their content seems to be so alien, because it's not really intended for British audiences.

Having said that, my overwhelming impression from their YouTube channel is that it's a retirement home for presenters.

There's a great example with Mark Dolan, who stopped being relevant once Balls of Steel ended. He became a crackpot once it was obvious that he wasn't getting any more presenting jobs, and now he just seems to push whatever the latest US loony conspiracy theory is. GB News pushes him as some kind of relevant, big-time figure, but who can remember anything that Dolan presented once Balls of Steel ended? Likewise, look at Kirsty Gallagher, who couldn't find a good presenting job once she left Sky.

Some of the things that they do are very clever and serve a previously ignored niche, such as Arlene Foster hosting coverage of the Orange marches in Northern Ireland. But as a whole, it's very much copying the US format of "OUTRAGED HOST REACTS TO...", where it doesn't matter *what* they say, but it does matter that they talk about it immediately. It's a digital-first strategy that works, although there is a question over how much revenue they're actually generating online.

Last edited:

ld0595

Doesn't look like all is too well behind the scenes at GB News HQ (still).

US media group Warner Bros Discovery is to sell its stake in GB News, in a shake-up which has seen the loss-making television channel’s co-founders sell-up and resign as directors, and the remaining backers step forward with a further £60m in cash.

The fledgling news channel, which originally said its first £60m fund raising last January would last three years, has tapped Legatum Ventures and hedge fund boss Paul Marshall for more funds after just 18 months.

The company also announced that co-founders Andrew Cole and Mark Schneider, who set up GB News’ parent company last February, have resigned as directors and sold their stakes in the business.

Warner Bros Discovery said its decision to leave GB News was due to a rationalisation of its portfolio following the merger of Discovery and WarnerMedia.

Discovery was the first major investor in GB News injecting £20m of the first £60m round of funding last January. Legatum then matched that investment becoming the venture’s joint biggest shareholder. Discovery’s desire to leave the venture first emerged in June.

“Following the merger between Discovery and WarnerMedia earlier this year our portfolio now includes several wholly owned news brands including CNN Worldwide, TVN Group in Poland and Newshub in New Zealand,” a spokesperson for WBD said. “In light of this, and our continued evaluation of our global and local investment portfolio, we have exited our investment in GB News and are no longer shareholders.”

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Doesn't look like all is too well behind the scenes at GB News HQ (still).

Given CNN's reinvention of itself in the age of Trump, to the remarkable position of almost being on the Left politically speaking (and in is the USA, that's anything to the left of Genghis Khan or, indeed, Trump) it's not surprising they wouldn't want to be associated with something that could be mistaken as an outpost of Fox News.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Given CNN's reinvention of itself in the age of Trump, to the remarkable position of almost being on the Left politically speaking (and in is the USA, that's anything to the left of Genghis Khan or, indeed, Trump) it's not surprising they wouldn't want to be associated with something that could be mistaken as an outpost of Fox News.

Not only that but Discovery is sort of seen as a science based channel (though it's vastly more tabloid than it used to be - in the 1990s it was basically another BBC2 but with only documentaries rather than the cultural stuff), and scientists generally tend a bit left. Not something they're going to want to associate with.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Not only that but Discovery is sort of seen as a science based channel (though it's vastly more tabloid than it used to be - in the 1990s it was basically another BBC2 but with only documentaries rather than the cultural stuff), and scientists generally tend a bit left. Not something they're going to want to associate with.

It's probably not that complicated. They've just merged with Warner, and now they're busy cutting costs where they can in order to pump up the stock price. GB News simply doesn't fit into the puzzle, and we've seen the same with other mergers in the past, such as the AOL-Time Warner merger when they divested of many of the old Turner assets.

The problem here is that they're clearly burning through a lot of cash with nothing to show for it. Part of the problem has to be their inability to actually cover the news, and like I said above, the US-style "outraged host REACTS" formula clearly doesn't work in the UK market.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The problem here is that they're clearly burning through a lot of cash with nothing to show for it. Part of the problem has to be their inability to actually cover the news, and like I said above, the US-style "outraged host REACTS" formula clearly doesn't work in the UK market.

Oddly it does work in radio, as that's basically LBC's format - where would we be without James O'Brien with his head in his hands, Nick Ferrari having a massive rant at someone or Shelagh Fogarty sounding like a tabloid agony aunt to someone whining about something with no basis in fact? :)

Maybe that's more because radio is background listening you "tune in and out of" whereas TV isn't, you want some decent time-bound content. You can "watch" LBC but I bet very few do.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Yeah, I think it's because radio is something that you can turn up if something catches you, but otherwise you can get on with your day. TV on the other hand requires much more commitment, and how many times can you sit through Mark Dolan ranting with a very limited vocabulary?

The other issue is that GB News seems to be non-stop pushing social media. I understand why, their strategy is around generating huge amounts of views online, but when they mention Twitter constantly, it just comes across as contrived. They don't seem to understand that their viewers couldn't really care less about what someone says on Twitter!

Dai Corner

Established Member
Oddly it does work in radio, as that's basically LBC's format - where would we be without James O'Brien with his head in his hands, Nick Ferrari having a massive rant at someone or Shelagh Fogarty sounding like a tabloid agony aunt to someone whining about something with no basis in fact? :)

Maybe that's more because radio is background listening you "tune in and out of" whereas TV isn't, you want some decent time-bound content. You can "watch" LBC but I bet very few do.
LBC do actually have news bulletins though, albeit only a a few minutes an hour.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In a way it sort of is LBC TV, but LBC feels to have become a bit less extreme (both ways) than it was.
Do you actually watch it? Because it’s pretty much the only channel that I have on in my house, and over half of the programmes are panel-based.

adc82140

Established Member
LBC doesn't claim to be a news channel. Its output is discussion and phone-in based. GB News, however, claims to be an alternative 24 hour rolling news network. Which it isn't.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
LBC doesn't claim to be a news channel. Its output is discussion and phone-in based. GB News, however, claims to be an alternative 24 hour rolling news network. Which it isn't.

That's why I think it's not working. The format works well for social media, but the advertising boycott means that they won't be getting anything for all the Mark Dolan CRUSHES woke LEFTISTS clickbait.