• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GB Railfreight in 'locomotive acquisition' talks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

433N

Have the Colas 56s been re-engined ?

Because as I see it, GBRF acquiring the Colas 60s will probably mean that the Colas 56s get more of an outing - so there will be more 'originals' getting outings as well as these new GBRF chimera 56s roaming the tracks. A win-win for enthusiasts, I would have thought.

RingingEars66

Have the Colas 56s been re-engined ?

Because as I see it, GBRF acquiring the Colas 60s will probably mean that the Colas 56s get more of an outing - so there will be more 'originals' getting outings as well as these new GBRF chimera 56s roaming the tracks. A win-win for enthusiasts, I would have thought.

As I understand it, everything above the bogies is being ripped out and replaced by GM or Caterpillar parts, not sure which. They went to Longport, so I'm guessing GM (EMD). It's been said that they'll be Eurospec 66's in a 56 shell.

ac6000cw

Established Member
As I understand it, everything above the bogies is being ripped out and replaced by GM or Caterpillar parts, not sure which. They went to Longport, so I'm guessing GM (EMD). It's been said that they'll be Eurospec 66's in a 56 shell.

For the record, GM sold EMD in 2005 to a group of investors, then in 2010 EMD was bought by Caterpillar via its Progress Rail subsidiary.

EMD only exists as a Caterpillar/Progress Rail brand name now - from 1st Sept 2016 what was 'Electro-Motive Diesel Inc' became 'Progress Rail Locomotive Inc'.

So EMD = Progress Rail = Caterpillar...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Apparently just over here for repairs that cannot be done abroad, in TOPS as 66999.

fair enough - The shipping costs must be pretty steep! - Out of interest can Euro 66's work in the UK? The pictures of the loco don't look vastly different form the UK versions - no cab top air con units for instance.

GB

Established Member
fair enough - The shipping costs must be pretty steep! - Out of interest can Euro 66's work in the UK? The pictures of the loco don't look vastly different form the UK versions - no cab top air con units for instance.

Would need safety systems installation/modification but I don't see why not....effectively what the 3 dutch 66s have done (with a few other mods).

BRX

Established Member
It was taken by ship then? You'd think bringing it through the tunnel would be easier.

Spartacus

Established Member
Came into Hull docks last week. For me it seem a bit of a coincidence where it’s going and when, suspect there may be at least a little snoop at what they can do.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It was taken by ship then? You'd think bringing it through the tunnel would be easier.

I get the impression there is far more "paperwork" required to get something through the tunnel than there is by bringing it in by boat!

gsnedders

Established Member
IIRC, most of the extra stuff on top of some (most?) of the non-UK ones can be taken off relatively easily. Might not run with all of it taken off, but easy enough to make it possible to move around the UK by rail.

richieb1971

Established Member
And why is that easier? Couldn't you just put it on the back of another train? The water train from Europe goes through the tunnel everyday often hauled by a 66 from Dollands More. On the way to work last Friday I saw a GWR coach in green going south on the M1. Seems our railways are only for trains with special passes.

BRX

Established Member
It does seem to be a beaurocracy thing with the tunnel.

BRX

Established Member
It could be due to the fire risk given the number of fires in the tunnel over the years.
Seeing as hundreds/thousands of petrol and diesel road vehicles are hauled through there every day is there some reason a locomotive would pose a particularly higher risk?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Seeing as hundreds/thousands of petrol and diesel road vehicles are hauled through there every day is there some reason a locomotive would pose a particularly higher risk?

Aren't they in covered "le shuttle" vehicles though?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The newer Shuttle freight wagons are fully open, basically flat beds with low guard rails

furnessvale

Established Member
The newer Shuttle freight wagons are fully open, basically flat beds with low guard rails
That had to be done to enable the shuttles to carry 44 tonnes gvw HGVs without exceeding rail axleload limits. (They had to save all extraneous weight on the rail wagons.)

Of course the shuttles are not as safe as they used to be but it would appear safety CAN be compromised to ensure more efficient use of HGVs.

RingingEars66

For the record, GM sold EMD in 2005 to a group of investors, then in 2010 EMD was bought by Caterpillar via its Progress Rail subsidiary.

EMD only exists as a Caterpillar/Progress Rail brand name now - from 1st Sept 2016 what was 'Electro-Motive Diesel Inc' became 'Progress Rail Locomotive Inc'.

So EMD = Progress Rail = Caterpillar...

Ah, so what I said that I heard about Cat engines could be correct then?

RingingEars66

The truck carriers are basically open.

The enclosed car carriers have fire suppression systems in them; I don't know how that compares with the 66.

66 doesn't have any fire suppression systems. That's not really the issue though, I know from Crossrail that it's a nightmare having 66's in enclosed spaces; there's a massive issue with fumes. Crossrail even had fans and ventilation shafts, as well as the stations themselves. There's none of that in the Channel Tunnel. You'd seriously gas the place out! It's not worth it.

alexl92

Established Member
66 doesn't have any fire suppression systems. That's not really the issue though, I know from Crossrail that it's a nightmare having 66's in enclosed spaces; there's a massive issue with fumes. Crossrail even had fans and ventilation shafts, as well as the stations themselves. There's none of that in the Channel Tunnel. You'd seriously gas the place out! It's not worth it.

Couldn’t they haul one DIT?

Status
Not open for further replies.