• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GC Valenta's - MTU'ING IS COMMENCING

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd like to know how often their powercars are out of service because of engine problems?
Depends how the question is defined and it'd be tricky to answer as Marcroft didn't release some of the coaches for the 3rd set due to a dispute, this means that they never had the opportunity to have 3 sets in service, meaning that if they have 2 HST sets out they only need 4 out of 6 power cars in use at any one time. The biggest problem appears to be the lack of knowledge and experience at Heaton and this is at least partly going to be rectified when the heavy maintenance is switched to Neville Hill. Although I've heard that the guys at Neville Hill are more familiar with VP185s than MTUs, but I guess there are reasons why VP185s may not have been an option (probably due to emissions standards rules). Even MTU engines would not have been an option next year because the rules get more strict all the time (and the brand new design of MTU engine would require testing which would be too expensive and then be non-standard), hence the December 2010 deadline.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
, I am sure at some point a couple of HST Power Cars were fitted with Mirlees engines as a trial?? Confirmation needed......

43167-170 were fitted with Mirlees Blackstone MB170 engines, didnt go well and the power cars spent a lot of time in a siding at St Philips Marsh, Bristol until fitted with VP185s. 43167 (only GNER PC with a VP185) then had a Valenta put back in before getting the MTU fitted.

43034 The Black Horse

Established Member
I'd like to know how often their powercars are out of service because of engine problems?

Not as many as you'd like to think....

If you were stored in a field or wherever for a while and them came back without a proper job restoration on you, you may not work that well.

What with all the 1970s electronics as well, that doesn't help...

Some people are also that the cabs weren't taken off when they were 'restored' so there would be a lot of crap under there which doesn't help proceedings.

TrainBrain185

43167-170 were fitted with Mirlees Blackstone MB170 engines, didnt go well and the power cars spent a lot of time in a siding at St Philips Marsh, Bristol until fitted with VP185s. 43167 (only GNER PC with a VP185) then had a Valenta put back in before getting the MTU fitted.
Many thanks and kind regards for the information ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.