• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GC Valenta's - MTU'ING IS COMMENCING

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNERman

Established Member
Dear all,

THE END IS HERE!

GC's 43068 is currently on a low loader going from Heaton to Brush, Loughborough and is soon to be the first GC Power Car with an MTU engine.

VALENTA'S ARE NEARING THE END!

The end could be a couple of months away so SEE THEM NOW WHILE YOU CAN!

For information on the last workings of these engines join GCrailgen and please post any workings of these class that you see to help us work out the forthcoming diagrams for the fleet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GNERman

Established Member
no its not, it is me saying that it will help if you do join, and it is useful gen as I bet you didn't know that she was going down there...

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hardly an advert purely for the group. If it had not contained gen on 068, then it could be considered so, however I'm surprised it wasn't posted on the Grand Central Discussion thread.

The end indeed cometh, guess who's planning to do another GC trip sooner rather than later <D

Good news for the pax when she comes back, hopefully fit and ready to charge up and down the ECML, but for those of us who like HSTs to sound like HSTs, it's just not cricket.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
43/2 or 43/9 or staying as a standard?

There are no subclasses of class 43 HST, there is no such thing as a 43/2. They can renumber them what they like, as other operators have done. And given that 43xxx are merely coach numbers there can't be a subclass anyway

ahh so this is an advert for your group rather than useful gen....

A little harsh, I think the post is fair enough. Is your signature not just an advert for your photo stream?

I will echo devon_metro's sentiments. The press release implied a thorough re-engineering, do people know how thorough? I gather some of FGW's earlier MTU'd PCs were re-engined but without all of the work with later PCs. (Source)

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Not what it says in my platform 5 book and on the 125 Group site, as for the second bit fair nuff

The 125 group refers to NXEC/XC re-engineered PCs as 43/2 and FGW/EMT re-engineered PCs as 43/0. Either re-engineered PCs are a separate subclass or they aren't!

Anyway, that is off the point!

wensley

Established Member
Good news for passengers and GC reliability figures, bad news for cranks. Much as I hate to say it one is more important than the other. All I can say is get em while you can - Northallerton station is going to be seeing a lot more of me!! <D

If there's enough interest we could poss organise a YRK - SUN - YRK bash when the sets are in the right positions...

Established Member
The 125 group refers to NXEC/XC re-engineered PCs as 43/2 and FGW/EMT re-engineered PCs as 43/0. Either re-engineered PCs are a separate subclass or they aren't!

Anyway, that is off the point!

Yeah, you know what I mean though ;) :lol:

BOSCH

How come?? Seems eccentric! Is there something other than the buffers that will be non-standard? Also will they be reliveried?

Not sure who decided on the renumbering whether it be GC or Angel,the buffers are as far as I know are staying but had heard that Angel wanted them removed and yes they will be reliveried as per the 180's.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Any chance of a farewell tour?

I've heard this is a possibility, but we'll wait and see. No doubt we'll hear about it just a couple of hours before it's due to happen, if it does.

*Dives into my e-mails to get my 125 Group membership sorted pronto, in case they get the heads-up first :lol:*

BOSCH

It was suggested to the MD & Ops director a while ago by me to do this and yours truly has volunteered to be the driver of said farewell if it happens but at the moment I have not heard anything further ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Shame they couldn't be bothered to reply to my e-mail some weeks back...Asked that amongst other things that I knew they could give me an answer to, but nothing.

wensley

Established Member
Not sure who decided on the renumbering whether it be GC or Angel,the buffers are as far as I know are staying but had heard that Angel wanted them removed and yes they will be reliveried as per the 180's.

Ah, I suspected re-numbering. As for re-liverying I havent got anything against the new logo but pelase not the orange stripe!

CCF23

I've looked for advance tickets Kings Cross to York in a couple of months, for a child EC is about £5 each way, although GC over three times more at about £17.50. Now i really want to go on the valenta's but is there anyway i can get a cheaper ticket as the advance GC fares don't really seem to cheap, thanks.

Edvid

Established Member
GC don't offer any 'proper' Advance tickets, that's why their cheapest fares are higher.

Unless you're happy to forgo GC south of York and travel with them north of York instead then £17.50 is the least you'll pay.

sprinterguy

Established Member
As for re-liverying I havent got anything against the new logo but pelase not the orange stripe!

Hey! I like the orange stripe livery, it's the current plain black that's absolutely atrocious. The 180s look fab in the orange stripe livery, I bet the HSTs will as well :D Each to their own though.

They will be renumbered 43/9..
S'pose GC just want to have their own seperately numbered fleet of locos, make them stand out from the rest. It will be a bit unusual having a "sub class" of just 6 locos though, seems a bit superfluous.

Established Member
It was suggested to the MD & Ops director a while ago by me to do this and yours truly has volunteered to be the driver of said farewell if it happens but at the moment I have not heard anything further ;)

Pint for that (at the end of the tour that is ;))

LE Greys

Established Member

Cheers for that, let's hope it happens.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Agreed, although Sod's Law dictates I'll be too skint to do it, or I'll be en-route to London and something will go wrong. Still, got a few months to wait and see.

Established Member
Agreed, although Sod's Law dictates I'll be too skint to do it, or I'll be en-route to London and something will go wrong. Still, got a few months to wait and see.

Blag it haha, nah Sod's law will happen to me trust me! ;):lol:

Aictos

Established Member

Well how does the following sound?

Sunderland to Doncaster then diverted over the former GE & GN joint line to Peterborough then across to Cambridge and straight down the ECML to Kings Cross.

Kings Cross to Newcastle via Hertford North then across to Sunderland.

That would cover quite a lot of the ECML, :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Maybe taking in Bradford Interchange would be good too, although what you've put would suit me just fine, as I still need Cambridge to Hitchin on a HST <D

Aictos

Established Member
Maybe taking in Bradford Interchange would be good too, although what you've put would suit me just fine, as I still need Cambridge to Hitchin on a HST <D

I need anything other then a 317, 365 or 313 on the Hertford Loop!

But all that aside, maybe the special could be done to raise money for a charity ie the Railway Children where all money raise goes to the charity.

Status
Not open for further replies.