• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GEML franchise 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Just off the top of my head I can think of six morning peak GE services that are 8 cars that could really do with being 12 cars.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave1987

On Moderation
Of course, some of them were under NX before Abellio and their great mentality got in...

Let me guess the infamous 317's that got taken off lease? The services I am thinking of were always 8 cars.

Wolfie

Established Member
That will all depend on the rolling stock plan of the winning bidder, the DfT hasn't specified which stock can/cannot be used in the same way they did for Northern & TPE. If I were a betting man I'd have money on a replacement fleet for the 90s+Mk3s & additional DMUs - new or cascaded - given the requirement for direct Lowestoft - Liverpool Street services and the extension of Norwich - Cambridge services to Stansted.

I wonder if any bidder will offer an option of Pacers (and/or D-Trains) for the rural lines....<D

samuelmorris

Established Member
It was suggested that Vivarail had been in contact with the bidders for the next franchise about using them - I'd welcome the idea of using them to replace the 153s.

Trainfan344

Established Member
I wonder if any bidder will offer an option of Pacers (and/or D-Trains) for the rural lines....<D

Believe it has been mentioned on here before Pacers can't run to Lowestoft due to the curve at Reedham.

hassaanhc

Established Member
The have started replacing seat moquette on Class 321 units. I am currently sat on 321318 (1513 Liv St to S'end Vic) which is done, and I remember seeing 321356 done at least 3 months ago.

samuelmorris

Established Member
And about time really. The previous ones had been on since pretty soon after FGE took over. I don't really get the fuss over seat covers, I consider it routine maintenance, not on a par with a refurbishment, or even refresh. The fact that by virtue of it being a different operator the seat covers are now a different colour is neither here nor there.

Alfie1014

The have started replacing seat moquette on Class 321 units. I am currently sat on 321318 (1513 Liv St to S'end Vic) which is done, and I remember seeing 321356 done at least 3 months ago.

About a dozen have so far been feacelifted, a couple of the latest seem to be to a higher standard, travelled home in 321331 this week, very new car smell. Leather covered seats in first class, new carpets and wall coverings replacing the horrible grubby brown stained carpet effect on the walls by the doors.

HH

Established Member
There are plenty of rumours.

First Group; currently winning the rumour race. Rumoured that First Bus in Norfolk has recently become First Bus and Rail Norfolk.

Sounds like rubbish to me. First Bus and First Rail are different organisations; you don't see First Bus and Rail in Devon, do you?

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Unless its before purdah in connection with EU referendum I doubt we will see it until July.

It's officially due in June, and that's a delay on the original timing due to a DfT cock-up. Can't see DfT wanting to delay it any further as it would interfere with their August hols!

Last edited:

Sleepy

Established Member
Sounds like rubbish to me. First Bus and First Rail are different organisations; you don't see First Bus and Rail in Devon, do you?

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

It's officially due in June, and that's a delay on the original timing due to a DfT cock-up. Can't see DfT wanting to delay it any further as it would interfere with their August hols!

A Dft cock up ! Surely not, probably busy adding dates / routes to go DOO.....<(<(<(

Class 170101

Established Member
Unless its before purdah in connection with EU referendum I doubt we will see it until July.

Well the DfT will have to get a move on
Purdah for EU referendum

This doucument says its starts on 27 May 2016. Thats a fortnight away from today as I write this post.

Last edited:

Established Member
Well the DfT will have to get a move on
Purdah for EU referendum

This ducument says its starts on 27 May 2016. That's a fortnight away from today as I write this post.

But does the award of a rail franchise make any difference to the decision whether to stay in the EU or leave it?

What might have a bearing is when one of the bidders is based in the EU, like Abellio. The government might not want to announce an award to them because it might provoke a relatively small-scale backlash against foreign rail organisations running British TOCs. But if they postponed the announcement for that reason it wouldn't really have much to do with the "purdah" regulations, though they might offer that as an excuse.

Class 170101

Established Member
It could be considered a major decision affecting the impartiality of the civil service. This decision won't be made during the purdah period.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Just heard a rumour that the First bid (unsurprisingly so) includes another rather massive order of Hitachi stock.

phoenixcronin

Just heard a rumour that the First bid (unsurprisingly so) includes another rather massive order of Hitachi stock.

Hmm, if that means Class 801s then that's good.

However, I am absolutely not a fan of Hitachi suburban stock, like the Class 385, they are far too ugly IMHO, whereas the 379s looks nice.

Of course I realise this is a very subjective judgement.

Trainfan344

Established Member

However, I am absolutely not a fan of Hitachi suburban stock, like the Class 385, they are far too ugly IMHO, whereas the 379s looks nice.

If this means 801s then that's horribly bad.

HH

Established Member
It could be considered a major decision affecting the impartiality of the civil service. This decision won't be made during the purdah period.

I think that's a very large stretch, but a public announcement might be delayed if the winner is Abellio.

CosherB

Established Member

Thank goodness that all train orders are based soley on aesthetics. :roll:

Wivenswold

Established Member
Think you'll find it starts with N and E.

As an aside no-one knows what will happen, my money remains on Abellio but we shall see.

First are well regarded in these parts from their time with the first Great Eastern franchise. It would make sense if their proposal included bus/train integration as they are the biggest bus operator in East Anglia.

As for new trains, any bidder is going to have to come up with a solution for maximizing available space on the Norwich paths and 12 car long-distance EMUs seem like the sensible option. Some of the Clacton and Ipswich paths could do with something more appropriate than the somewhat suburban 321s. Refurbished or not.

Last edited:

chubs

First are well regarded in these parts from their time with the first Great Eastern franchise. It would make sense if their proposal included bus/train integration as they are the biggest bus operator in East Anglia

This is said often but a lot has changed in the past 12 years, presumably all the old First Great Eastern management are long gone. I suppose they would get back the same stock they had in First Great Eastern days.

Established Member
......presumably all the old First Great Eastern management are long gone.

Gone as in happily retired yes. Mostly in their 60s or even 70s now, but nevertheless are watching this latest bun fight with some detached amusement.

I just hope other rumours that I've heard are not true.

The only rumour I haven't heard is National Express are going to win. So I'm off to the bookies to see if I can get the same odds as Leicester City.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.