• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Election 2017: The Results and Aftermath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Seacook

I am not interested in the quotes of any American, living or dead,

Pedantry alert!
No dead Americans have said anything to be quoted; they had to be living at the time. 'Now dead' is probably what you meant.

But,

What Americans are neither dead nor alive? The 'living or dead' description is redundant.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Pedantry alert!
No dead Americans have said anything to be quoted; they had to be living at the time. 'Now dead' is probably what you meant.

But,

What Americans are neither dead nor alive? The 'living or dead' description is redundant.

Americans currently dead, can have quotes made by them during their lifetime used.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
The emphasis being only on the word "review", not automatic pay increases.

Indeed there's no automatic increases but in my field entry level roles aren't generally all that well paid but the market rate for someone with 5 years experience is significantly higher than for someone with <1 years experience. If an employer keeps freezing pay every year, they'll find their employee will go elsewhere and that they will have to get a more junior person to replace them, unless they are willing to increase their budget.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Indeed there's no automatic increases but in my field entry level roles aren't generally all that well paid but the market rate for someone with 5 years experience is significantly higher than for someone with <1 years experience. If an employer keeps freezing pay every year, they'll find their employee will go elsewhere and that they will have to get a more junior person to replace them, unless they are willing to increase their budget.

All well and good if you can leave your employer and find a similar employment level position easily. But many say that finding a new job these days can be difficult, as you will be competing against others for the position you seek.

DaleCooper

Established Member
It was already edited. Why you feel that someone of Polish heritage should be seen as a guardian of the English Language is beyond me.

I can only judge from the evidence I see in this forum.

but such laziness in the use of the English Language, where people cannot be bothered to use the correct word infuriates me.

I'm sorry if I misinterpreted that, perhaps your meaning wasn't clear.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Just harking back to an earlier point. Does anyone see a difference between a pay cut imposed by an employer and the amount of available income which will have been reduced by sources exterior to the pay offered by an employer to their staff.

It appears many on this thread see the word "pay" differently that I do. For the sake of sanity, shall we agree to differ.

Incidentally, I took the stance of an employer earlier in the thread to give an opposing view to the views being expressed, as I have had many years experience of seeing commercial and industrial life from that particular perspective.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Of course people understand the difference between a pay cut and a pay cut in real terms. It's only you that has tried to play semantics, very unsuccessfully I might add.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Of course people understand the difference between a pay cut and a pay cut in real terms. It's only you that has tried to play semantics, very unsuccessfully I might add.

Nothing wrong in highlighting the use of incorrect terminology, though. I refer you to the use of the made statement of an alleged £1bn bribe earlier in the thread which would have made for some interesting cross-bench discussions in a Court of Law when the matter of the Bribery Act 2010 was being used in such a case.

Semantics can be either logical semantics or lexical semantics.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member

I imagine on the same basis he'd be very happy with 0.0001% increase on any savings he has, as his balance will increase but with inflation much higher than 0.0001% the balance will be decreasing in real times.

pemma

Veteran Member
Nothing wrong in highlighting the use of incorrect terminology, though. I refer you to the use of the made statement of an alleged £1bn bribe earlier in the thread which would have made for some interesting cross-bench discussions in a Court of Law when the matter of the Bribery Act 2010 was being used in such a case.

Interesting that you keep insisting mentioning the word bribe must imply the Bribery Act 2010 has been broken, despite no evidence to support that claim and evidence having been produced which indicates the word bribe can be used to refer to a legal transaction, even though it's usually used to refer to an illegal transaction. Prior to that act being introduced did the word bribe not exist?

sk688

Semantics can be either logical semantics or lexical semantics.

My Bold

I'm sure it would . But this is an internet forum , not a Court of Law , hence why it is deemed unnecessary , for someone to get use semantics in such a way

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I imagine on the same basis he'd be very happy with 0.0001% increase on any savings he has, as his balance will increase but with inflation much higher than 0.0001% the balance will be decreasing in real times.

The difference being with of my widely spread financial assets that I hold being that they are globally placed by my brokers to ensure the best possible return, so such a miniscule percentage return that you refer to does not happen.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Interesting that you keep insisting mentioning the word bribe must imply the Bribery Act 2010 has been broken, despite no evidence to support that claim and evidence having been produced which indicates the word bribe can be used to refer to a legal transaction, even though it's usually used to refer to an illegal transaction. Prior to that act being introduced did the word bribe not exist?

Since the matter under discussion, remembering it that it was others, not I, who used the actual term of £1bn bribe as a term of reference, took place in 2017, it most certainly falls under the legal remit of the Bribery Act 2010.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Again, I try to explain that the monies in personal finances that come under external financial pressures such as mortgage increases, higher utility bills, etc. are exactly that and to try to say that they are a pay cut in real terms is fallacious.

I have already stated more than once what pay being something associated with employment is and to make claim that a pay cut is involved, would suggest an employer making financial deductions for the items mentioned in the first paragraph, in which case the take-home pay after such deductions would indeed fall under the term "pay cut".

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
"Language" is not a proper noun in that context.

Why not stop digging? I don't think posts at 4am bring out the best in you.

Last edited:

DaleCooper

Established Member
Are you saying that an internet forum is one where expressed preciseness of terminology is deemed to be subservient to the colloquial usage of the English Language?

Colloquial does not equate to imprecise.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/colloquial

Colloquial, conversational, informal refer to types of speech or to usages not on a formal level. Colloquial is often mistakenly used with a connotation of disapproval, as if it meant “vulgar” or “bad” or “incorrect” usage, whereas it is merely a familiar style used in speaking and writing. Conversational refers to a style used in the oral exchange of ideas, opinions, etc.: an easy conversational style. Informal means without formality,
Taking the linguistic high ground just exposes you to criticism when your own use of English falls short which is bound to happen at times and would otherwise be ignored.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Colloquial does not equate to imprecise.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/colloquial

Taking the linguistic high ground just exposes you to criticism when your own use of English falls short which is bound to happen at times and would otherwise be ignored.

You have already previously accused me of being a guardian of the English Language, to which I responded in my posting # 1387. I suggest that you read what my response said.

DaleCooper

Established Member
You have already previously accused me of being a guardian of the English Language, to which I responded in my posting # 1387. I suggest that you read what my response said.

As I quoted your post #1387 in my post #1389 it should be obvious that I did read it.

I can only judge from the evidence I see in this forum.

Below is the evidence to which I referred in that post and another example.

but such laziness in the use of the English Language, where people cannot be bothered to use the correct word infuriates me.

Are you saying that an internet forum is one where expressed preciseness of terminology is deemed to be subservient to the colloquial usage of the English Language?

Status
Not open for further replies.