• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

backontrack

Established Member
It's The Eagles.

"Well, I'm a standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona and such a fine sight to see..."

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Hmmm, I know a song about that.... anyway, I'm not sure I'll be around much in the next few days so declare

OPEN FLOOR.

Wow cool, I've always wanted to declare open floor here, among the truly brainy quizzers :D

Calthrop

Established Member
Not a very brainy offering here -- more in the "corny old jokes" department; anyway -- I having just been to the Isle of Wight: there are a number of supposed "Wonders" of said island. These involve laboured wordplay: the whole scene is much beloved by the producers of postcards. Most usually, it's "six wonders" -- sometimes seven; and there is an eighth, which occasionally pops up.

Please list six of these "IOW" wonders -- more, if you like.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I remember my grandma telling me these, unfortunately I can’t remember all of them but I’ll give these for a start:

Ryde - Where you must walk.
The Needles - You can’t thread.
Freshwater - You can’t drink.
Cowes - You can’t milk.
Er... Wish I’d paid more attention now.

backontrack

Established Member
Not a very brainy offering here -- more in the "corny old jokes" department; anyway -- I having just been to the Isle of Wight: there are a number of supposed "Wonders" of said island. These involve laboured wordplay: the whole scene is much beloved by the producers of postcards. Most usually, it's "six wonders" -- sometimes seven; and there is an eighth, which occasionally pops up.

Please list six of these "IOW" wonders -- more, if you like.

Easy peasy! :D

Lake - where there is no water
The Needles - you cannot thread
Cowes - you cannot milk
Ryde - where you have to walk
Freshwater - you cannot drink
Newtown - which is old
Newport - you cannot bottle
Winkle Street - where there aren't any winkles

Calthrop

Established Member
backontrack, you've got the complete full set, as against four from Cowley; so, me boy,your turn to set something to baffle those "overners" (IOW expression for all non-IOW-natives).

(Completely foolish and pointless trivia item: in order of backontrack's list, numbers 1, 3, 4, 5 and 7 are, or have been, rail-served; 2, and 6, never have been; 8 is "sorta-kinda-maybe" -- Winkle Street is in Calbourne village, which is a mile and a half from the former Calbourne & Shalfleet Station on the long-closed Newport -- Freshwater line.)

backontrack

Established Member
Thank you Calthrop.

Now it's time for the picture round, teams. I've gathered some stock photos from around the internet. Your job is to find out what links them all (and if you can name all their equivalents too, then fair play to you).
20ae9a4c96e8974c2d27a857356b1cbf--old-faces-elderly-man.jpg barrow.jpg hay_stacks_essex.jpg 1280px-Fairfield_railway_station_(Greater_Manchester)_(2).jpg 2980335_25c95189.jpg 9346e62b-8dfe-45a2-97f0-42065359be17.jpg large.jpg knott1-1271461.jpg article-2310795-19586C8B000005DC-853_306x423.jpg Luders1.jpg

DaleCooper

Established Member
This has got me stumped (geddit?) but I think the connection could be cricket although I have a few pieces missing:

1. Old man - Chris Old
2. ?
3. Straw Bales - bails
4. Fairfield - fielder
5. Church/chapel - Greg Chappel
6. Robinson's barley water - endorsed by C.B.Fry
7. ?
8. Alan Knott
9. John Gummer - Chairman of Ashton Cricket Club

backontrack

Established Member
This has got me stumped (geddit?) but I think the connection could be cricket although I have a few pieces missing:

1. Old man - Chris Old
2. ?
3. Straw Bales - bails
4. Fairfield - fielder
5. Church/chapel - Greg Chappel
6. Robinson's barley water - endorsed by C.B.Fry
7. ?
8. Alan Knott
9. John Gummer - Chairman of Ashton Cricket Club
I'm afraid that it's just not cricket.

Here are the pictures in words:

Old man
Barrow
Hay stacks
Fairfield
Steeple
Robinson's
Pillar
Alan Knott
John Gummer
Sail

Calthrop

Established Member
Five days gone by, with nothing heard from the setter. Whether my answer right or wrong -- time maybe to move on, decreeing "open floor"?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
In that case, I'll take it...

In children's literature, which villain promised himself "one last great evil" before retiring, only to ( of course ) be thwarted in his plans?

This might be easier for the older members as to the best of my knowledge the last time it was adapted for TV was about 30 years ago...

Calthrop

Established Member
I can only think of Nogbad the Bad in the "Noggin the Nog" sagas -- but that stuff was "telly from the first -- no books", was it not?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I’m struggling too but I reckon it’s something I should know...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
No, none of those.

Calthrop - it's not a cartoon.

Cowley - I have a feeling you might just be thinking of the right answer.

Dale - nothing to do with Roald Dahl.

Having checked, when I said the last TV adaption was 30 years ago, I wasn't far off the mark. It was 33 years ago...

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Was it broadcast on BBC?

*Edit* I cannot recall any villain who promised himself "one last evil", but I do recall one childrens' drama that was broadcast in the 80s, round this time of year. I'm going to stick my neck out and suggest that it was "Box of Delights". I wasn't particularly interested in it, but I do remember the theme tune, and that it was very similar to "The First Noel".

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Gus... I'll give it to you; that's not only the name of the series you even got the tune right so there is little point in my holding out for someone to get the name; for the record the villain's name was Abner Brown.

He uttered the phrase "one last great evil" towards the end of the penultimate episode or at the start of the final episode, if I remember rightly.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was going to go for Box of Delights or Never Ending Story which was around then too.
Well done Gus.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'll leave the floor open (one too many un-planned sherbets tonight). <hic>

*Edit* (again) - I found this:

Last edited: