• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
What sporting achievement links the following three gentlemen?

Bill Struth; Willie Maley; Guy Roux.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Australian Sports Personality Of The Year?

I'm afraid not, but .....

Was it that they managed their respective clubs for a very long time?

Yes, that's spot on, well done!

The details are:
Bill Struth: Rangers FC, 1920 to 1954 (34 years)
Willie Maley: Celtic FC, 1897 to 1940 (43 years)
Guy Roux: Auxerre, 1961 to 2005 (44 years).

I can understand the first two being in their jobs for a long time, as most mangers didn't change then, but the longest serving is very much in the modern era, so he must have done well to stay there for so long.

It's your "hardest job in the world", sir!

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Okay, who is the current holder of the shortest period as a manager of an English professional club? Also, which was the club and how long was he the manager there?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Well, the answer to this question is Leroy Rosenior, Torquay, 10 minutes, 2007
The current holder of the record for shortest spell as manger, Rosenior had the misfortune of being appointed Torquay manager as the club were being taken over by a local consortium. Papers signed, they wanted their own man in and Rosenior was gone in 600 seconds.

I hope that he had a good contract .... !

I'll declare an Open Hot Seat for anyone who cares to take it.

martinsh

Established Member
That's correct; did my clue help or hinder?

Your clue helped. Before that I was thinking of all possible combinations of "i*h" - and never even considered "igh".

Continuing the festive theme

In what country was the first recorded occurance of decorating trees for Christmas ?

NB I will accept either of 2 possible answers. I require the current name of the country - not the name at that time.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Latvia or Estonia, they've been arguing for years as to who was the first. Something to do with Martin Luther I think.

martinsh

Established Member

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Keeping a baltic theme. Which which 'world record' does Estonia run a close second to a part of the US?

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Something (I know not what!) tells me that it's to do with languages spoken - the highest number in a given area, perhaps??

Calthrop

Established Member
None of the above. If you have been to Estonia you will know what they have a lot of...

I've read that, by "countries of the world", Estonia is the one with pretty much the largest percentage of people who describe themselves as having no allegiance to or belief in, any religion. However, it's very hard to imagine any part of the USA, however tiny, with that particular characteristic !

theageofthetra

On Moderation
I've read that, by "countries of the world", Estonia is the one with pretty much the largest percentage of people who describe themselves as having no allegiance to or belief in, any religion. However, it's very hard to imagine any part of the USA, however tiny, with that particular characteristic !
Nothing to do with religion.