• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

DaleCooper

Established Member
I personally am fine with anyone consulting anything -- go for it !

I've done some consulting so how about Bongo and Pongo in Bamboo Town from The Dandy?

In the course of my research I also stumbled upon another Dandy character - Invisible Dick. The mind boggles at the thought of his super power.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
I've done some consulting so how about Bongo and Pongo in Bamboo Town from The Dandy?

Afraid not: to be honest, I'd never heard of B & P in BT before reading this post !

In the course of my research I also stumbled upon another Dandy character - Invisible Dick. The mind boggles at the thought of his super power.

Now, now -- the comics' juvenile clientele back in those days, were innocent, big-time: anything "mucky" would have gone totally over their heads (and pigs fly, and Great Britain's entire rail network, passenger and freight, is today exactly as it was in 1922).

Time for a couple of hints, I reckon. The Ennytown kids, featured in the Beezer: they lived in Banana Crescent (a "funny" there), Ennytown.

The jungle-dweller (the strip was headed by only his title and name, though it featured various supporting-cast members too) was in the Topper. A possible clue leading to him -- think of something in the output of Jethro Tull (the popular-music group, not the chap who played a part in the eighteenth-century Agricultural Revolution).

DaleCooper

Established Member
Afraid not: to be honest, I'd never heard of B & P in BT before reading this post !

Now, now -- the comics' juvenile clientele back in those days, were innocent, big-time: anything "mucky" would have gone totally over their heads (and pigs fly, and Great Britain's entire rail network, passenger and freight, is today exactly as it was in 1922).

Time for a couple of hints, I reckon. The Ennytown kids, featured in the Beezer: they lived in Banana Crescent (a "funny" there), Ennytown.

The jungle-dweller (the strip was headed by only his title and name, though it featured various supporting-cast members too) was in the Topper. A possible clue leading to him -- think of something in the output of Jethro Tull (the popular-music group, not the chap who played a part in the eighteenth-century Agricultural Revolution).

Are you sure The Beezer and Topper are children's comics? More research has unearthed these dubious characters:
Bushwackers
Saucy Sue
The Gobblers
Dreamy Dick (Comic writers seem to have a liking for Dick)
Fred's Bed
and some others I dare not mention.

At least I did find The Banana Bunch which might be one you're looking for.

Calthrop

Established Member
Are you sure The Beezer and Topper are children's comics? More research has unearthed these dubious characters:
Bushwackers
Saucy Sue
The Gobblers
Dreamy Dick (Comic writers seem to have a liking for Dick)
Fred's Bed
and some others I dare not mention.

I might cite Titus 1:15 (first seven words), and the converse thereof... it's all in the interpretation ;) ...

At least I did find The Banana Bunch which might be one you're looking for.

The Banana Bunch, indeed the correct answer. You've got two out of three -- that just leaves the jungle guy to identify.

Calthrop

Established Member
Last hint, I'm reckoning: failing this one, it would seem that our cartoon hero has over the decades, at least 99% vanished into oblivion.

At the top of the strip concerned, each week, there was a a rhyming heading, always the same: the asterisk'd words (each asterisk, a letter) in it, were the chap's title, and his surname.

The heading read: ******* / ****** ; he lives in the jungle.

Calthrop

Established Member
That's right ! I delighted in Captain Bungle: a kind of generic and "all-purpose", moustached and pith-helmet-and-shorts-wearing, British-Empire-building type -- administrator, explorer, geographer, military man, scientist, photographer, "you name it". He was also, lovably clueless -- inevitably made a mess of anything he turned his hand to. The day was always saved by his -- far more on-the-ball -- native sidekick. I found it wonderful nonsense (those who are concerned about such things, would nowadays think it screamingly politically-incorrect).

@DaleCooper -- you have all of the three: your well-deserved floor.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I've never heard of Captain Bungle, which explains why I got my guess so badly wrong - doh!

Mind you, having just Googled him, most of what I find is about a song by the same name by Jethro Tull, which leaves me still ignorant about his story … doh! again!

DaleCooper

Established Member
Hispano-Suiza? (Although I have a feeling somebody is trying to revive the name).

No but it like Hispano-Suiza they were luxury cars owned by celebrities such as Pablo Picasso, Ava Gardner, Christian Dior, Joan Collins, Ringo Starr, Stirling Moss, Tony Curtis, Dean Martin and Fred Astaire.

fowler9

Established Member
No but it like Hispano-Suiza they were luxury cars owned by celebrities such as Pablo Picasso, Ava Gardner, Christian Dior, Joan Collins, Ringo Starr, Stirling Moss, Tony Curtis, Dean Martin and Fred Astaire.
Bentley? Oops, not extinct. My bad, ha ha.

Calthrop

Established Member
I've never heard of Captain Bungle, which explains why I got my guess so badly wrong - doh!

Mind you, having just Googled him, most of what I find is about a song by the same name by Jethro Tull, which leaves me still ignorant about his story … doh! again!

My impression is that the Jethro Tull song is -- like most of such -- about the human male / female thing. I do wonder, though, whether the song's maker had been a Topper reader in his childhood; with memories of the gallant Captain providing inspiration at some level of consciousness.

fowler9

Established Member
As you say "Oops", however I have discovered that this company did produce a car based on a Bentley chassis back in the days when coachbuilders did that sort of thing.

Not very European, certainly not back in the 50s and 60s.
Is it Lagonda?