• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

DerekC

Established Member
That's two out of three - G2LO-1 was London (later transferred to the Brookmans Park transmitter) and G5XX-2 Daventry. Have another guess at G2ZY. It was (and is) on the British mainland.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Marton

Thank you.

Where do American Cajuns originate from and why are they now in Louisiana?

Marton

France was the original home but not what I’m really looking for. The word Cajun has a very specific origin and journey.

The purchase postdates their arrival.

Marton

They did. The British expelled them to Cuba.

Cajun is derived from a specific group and location of non Québécois canadiens.

for completeness can you name them and their location?

Even better where were they were held before being sent south.

Marton

Nearly. Mostly Nova Scotia. I think Martinsh is as near as it’s going to be.

the word Cajun is derived from Acadian

the Acadians were a french speaking community (a different version of French language to the québécois) expelled from NS after being rounded up and held by the British in Grand Pré NS. An early Concentration Camp, with bad treatment. Resentment continues.

Acadia is now used as a term for part of New France in Nova Scotia New Brunswick and Maine

A Challenge

Established Member
While the tradition was bought to England from Germany by Prince Albert, I'm not sure that it started there, so I'm going to guess Austria.

Calthrop

Established Member
It wouldn't be, would it, our old friend Valmiera (once called Wolmar) in present-day Latvia? (a city re which we have had previous dealings on this Gereral Knowledge Quiz thread).

Struner

I would think you mean Riga & therefore Latvia?
Though this evergreen tree doing up business may have a long history in all sorts of cultures?
& not necessarily just in Northern ones (because of the variation in daylight).
Most so called christian customs are based on older ones anyway.:lol:

martinsh

Established Member
It wouldn't be, would it, our old friend Valmiera (once called Wolmar) in present-day Latvia? (a city re which we have had previous dealings on this Gereral Knowledge Quiz thread).

I would think you mean Riga & therefore Latvia?
Though this evergreen tree doing up business may have a long history in all sorts of cultures?
& not necessarily just in Northern ones (because of the variation in daylight).
Most so called christian customs are based on older ones anyway.:lol:

The place is indeed Riga, but since I only asked for the present day country, then Latvia is the correct answer. I hereby award the floor to Calthrop. [ practice dates from 1510 by the way ]

Grīda pieder jums Kaltropu kungu

Struner

Do you have a source for it tho? As I think the practice is older than 1510 (& more widespread by then).
& what does “Grīda pieder jums Kaltropu kungu” stand for?

Calthrop

Established Member
The place is indeed Riga, but since I only asked for the present day country, then Latvia is the correct answer. I hereby award the floor to Calthrop. [ practice dates from 1510 by the way ]

Grīda pieder jums Kaltropu kungu

Paldies ! (Ah, the wonders of Google.) However, I'll say open floor, please.

Struner

Seem to remember that the current Bergen cathedral was built in the 16th century? So not medieval :frown: it’s also smaller I think (by memory).

Struner

That’s really much younger. Built after most of the town was moved somewhat to the West. After a big fire. Think before 1700?
But you’re closer in latitude. ;)