• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Generally popular trains that you have good reason to dislike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I think it's more a combination of the vertical sides and the length. Probably not having any opening windows along the length helps as well. Consider this:

Mk 1 / Mk 2 pressure vented - vertical sides, 60ft length, opening windows throughout. No slam effect.

Mk 2 aircon - vertical sides, 60ft length, no opening windows. No slam effect that I remember.

Mk 3 - vertical sides, 75ft length, no opening windows. Slam effect.

Mk 4 - sloped sides, 75ft length, no opening windows. No slam effect.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OuterDistant

And I am not talking like a clickety clack you usually get but we are talking about a horrible sort of knocking noise that they make as they move along.

Dunno whether the Northerners feel the same with their 323s but for me, they just don't do it, even though they are fantastic to listen to
Perpetual wheelflats, I think - certainly affected every Northern 323 I've ever been on.

Think for me its deffo got to be the 142s, can't bloody stand pacers they're so rattly & uncomfortable to ride on. You always seem to get bounced around at any sort of speed<D

Do northern have any plans whatsoever to refurb the pacers? They definitely need it asap, all i've noticed different in em is a re-paint but part from that nothing else:roll:

TGV

Peter, I think your theory on the slam effect of passing trains may have some sound logic. I haven't thought about it in much detail before but that sounds like a plausible initial assessment.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I think it's more a combination of the vertical sides and the length. Probably not having any opening windows along the length helps as well. Consider this:

Mk 1 / Mk 2 pressure vented - vertical sides, 60ft length, opening windows throughout. No slam effect.

Mk 2 aircon - vertical sides, 60ft length, no opening windows. No slam effect that I remember.

Mk 3 - vertical sides, 75ft length, no opening windows. Slam effect.

Mk 4 - sloped sides, 75ft length, no opening windows. No slam effect.

Perhaps Mk 2s would have the slam effect if they were travelling at 125 mph, speed is probably a factor too.

Come to think of it, I haven't noticed the 'slam' for ages. Probably because I mostly travel on the GWML where I guess the clearance is a bit larger, allowing the pressure wave to escape.

33109 said:
Think for me its deffo got to be the 142s, can't bloody stand pacers they're so rattly & uncomfortable to ride on. You always seem to get bounced around at any sort of speed

Let's try to keep on topic! It's supposed to be generally popular trains which you dislike! Only the truly perverse like Pacers!

Personally I don't like Voyagers but I'm not sure they would be called 'generally popular'. Fine for a short hop but I'll try bloody hard to avoid doing any sort of inter-city journey on them (or any DMU for that matter).

Not sure how popular they are, but I really dislike the units on the Reading-Waterloo line (don't know the class) for one reason - the incredibly loud and piercing door noise! Even from inside it's very unpleasant and when boarding I actually have to cover my ears. It's somehow two high-pitched sounds which are out of tune with each other - and what I don't get is why the alarm for the doors opening is so much louder than that for them closing!

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Class 376s.

They are about the only 'Electrostar' I don't like. The seating for a start is very uncomftable the upholstery is pointless as it feels as if someones put a tea towl over a metal bench, interior feels cramped (some may not agree) and it feels dark and horrible although that would not upset the 'casual' passengers.

me123

Established Member
Glad I'm not the only one who hates the 320/321/322s. Although I've never been on a 321 (and therefore can't comment), I travel daily on 320s and loathe them. They're uncomfortable, pretty depressing inside, and seem to encourage people to stand rather than use the seats. Similarly, I can't stand 322s, and the awful interior doesn't help either.

aspierail

Perhaps Mk 2s would have the slam effect if they were travelling at 125 mph, speed is probably a factor too.

Come to think of it, I haven't noticed the 'slam' for ages. Probably because I mostly travel on the GWML where I guess the clearance is a bit larger, allowing the pressure wave to escape.

Let's try to keep on topic! It's supposed to be generally popular trains which you dislike! Only the truly perverse like Pacers!

Personally I don't like Voyagers but I'm not sure they would be called 'generally popular'. Fine for a short hop but I'll try bloody hard to avoid doing any sort of inter-city journey on them (or any DMU for that matter).

Not sure how popular they are, but I really dislike the units on the Reading-Waterloo line (don't know the class) for one reason - the incredibly loud and piercing door noise! Even from inside it's very unpleasant and when boarding I actually have to cover my ears. It's somehow two high-pitched sounds which are out of tune with each other - and what I don't get is why the alarm for the doors opening is so much louder than that for them closing!

The units on the Waterloo-Reading line are class 458 and i must admit i don't like them either from my experience the ride quality is rather sluggish.

43021HST

Established Member

I think you mean the juniper units. I dont think those units have a particularly large following. You know those units were built in 1999 and were ment too replace the ceps, but they were so unreliable that it wasnt until 2007 that the full fleet was in service. Thats why the ceps soldiered on for so long. They are still crap units so the best place SWT could bung them was on the Reading to Waterloo line so they were out of the way from any other services.

prod_pep

Established Member
My vote would go to the 317s and 318s. Now I'm not a regular user of either class by any means, but every time I do go on one, the ride quality is awful. They seem to be affected by squeaking anti-roll bars more than any other class and are very susceptible to bad flats. NXEA also, like the rest of their units, simply don't look after them so internal and external condition is generally pretty dire.

I found the 317s to be inferior to the 315s in terms of ride quality, and in Glasgow, the 314s seem to be smoother than the newer 318s!

Patrick

Sprinter's - I find these to be slow, noisy and uncomfortable and I don't get why everyone here loves them.

350's - Yes they make a great noise when arriving and departing but they are really uncomfortable and in no way suitable for the long routes LM use them on.

starrymarkb

Established Member
Ah right, I was wondering if it might be because the Mk3 bodyshell, as an older design, has a little more 'flex' than more modern trains.

it does, also modern stock is pressurised so passengers don't experience pressure changes in tunnels or when passing other trains.

Zoe

Established Member
it does, also modern stock is pressurised so passengers don't experience pressure changes in tunnels or when passing other trains.
If you've ever been on a packed 150 and passed by an HST on the other line, you will certainly know about it if you are next to the doors.

starrymarkb

Established Member
If you've ever been on a packed 150 and passed by an HST on the other line, you will certainly know about it if you are next to the doors.

I know! by Modern I was meaning Voyagers, Pendos and 395s etc

Plus 150 windows can fly open aswell ;)

Eng274

i think the reaction to passing trains is just a question of how well the doors are secured when closed. 150s were by far the worst culprit with flimsily locked doors, 156s were reasonable but their doors were at the carriage ends so not as well noticed.

TGV

Voyagers arn't pressurised. It's only 390s, 395s and Eurostars, all due to travelling at higher than normal speeds.

They are not pressurised in the same way an airliner is. The air conditioning vents to atmosphere with no positive pressure on the other side. The only difference is the carriages are sealed round the doors and have no opening windows.

You still get pressure effects in tunnels - esp those with sensitve ears will notice.

150/2s, especially chapman seated ones, drafty awful units!

Established Member
I have to agree they are not brilliant units. Still find the bus seats and draftiness on a 142 worse! :lol:;)

Good rule with Pacers:

In winter sit in the middle
In summer sit near the doors.

I like the draught on a Pacer, same as on a HST in summer. Feels better than air con. Also the heaters on most 142s are excellent, so much so I nearly fell asleep on one of them a year back when the cold weather hit.

Good rule with Pacers:

I like the draught on a Pacer, same as on a HST in summer. Feels better than air con. Also the heaters on most 142s are excellent, so much so I nearly fell asleep on one of them a year back when the cold weather hit.

Yea there good, 142041 was like an oven when i went on it a little while ago! Hasnt 42 been refurbed inside and got new heaters?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
i think the reaction to passing trains is just a question of how well the doors are secured when closed. 150s were by far the worst culprit with flimsily locked doors, 156s were reasonable but their doors were at the carriage ends so not as well noticed.

2M17 (1932 Westbury-Cheltenham via Swindon) on a 150/2 is a bad one! between Chippenham and Swindon you pass an HST at speed, its not uncommon for doors to come off the runners, the rancid arriva ones were the worst culprits for that, particularly 267 which was failed at Swindon for that problem twice

4SRKT

Established Member
English electric veg alert :o

Don't get me wrong, I'm pacer veg as well (see link). It's just that as there are so few of us on this forum (now three including you I think), it's a bit of a red letter day when another one shows up!

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=40484

Posts by pacer veg in this thread should be under 'Generally UNpopular trains that you have a good reason to like'.

Established Member
I'd have to check about 042 but I did witness a 2 car 144 on a York - Hull train today, unfortunately I wasn't on it.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Good rule with Pacers:

Your not the driver are you :oops:.

Sorry having a weak moment again.

I have noticed that in winter a lot of trains, buildings etc are too warm simply because they are heated to a level that seems to assume people are still wearing the same clothes as they would wear in summer (been washed in between though). OK an exception is that, if its Friday/Saturday night, the fairer sex seems to still wear a short skirt even in winter.

Last edited:

I'd have to check about 042 but I did witness a 2 car 144 on a York - Hull train today, unfortunately I wasn't on it.

thats sounds like a beastly working, had my pest 150 tonight too :cry: 221 again :cry: :cry: :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.