• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Girls arm ripped off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbostar

I agree with everyone else, & hope she makes a speedy recovery, I wouldn't wish this upon any child. But I'm still a bit baffled by the report I read on the BBC News site earlier, BTP say she was with 3 other friends at the time of the incident, & suffered a "glancing blow" from the train??? "There do not appear to be any suspicious circumstances surrounding this incident. Police investigations continue, but this appears to be a tragic accident."???
How exactly do you get a "glancing blow" from the train, IF you are on the right side of the tracks??? No "Suspicious circumstances"??? Work that one out...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Temple Meads

Established Member
I agree with everyone else, & hope she makes a speedy recovery, I wouldn't wish this upon any child. But I'm still a bit baffled by the report I read on the BBC News site earlier, BTP say she was with 3 other friends at the time of the incident, & suffered a "glancing blow" from the train??? "There do not appear to be any suspicious circumstances surrounding this incident. Police investigations continue, but this appears to be a tragic accident."???
How exactly do you get a "glancing blow" from the train, IF you are on the right side of the tracks??? No "Suspicious circumstances"??? Work that one out...

I take it they mean she was on the wrong side of her own accord and wasn't pushed.

I too hope she makes a full and quick recovery.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
You get a glancing blow by not actually being square in front of the train. Maybe a flailing arm. Surely it isn't that hard to comprehend?

Bungle73

On Moderation

Right side?

Turbostar

"Right side", as in behind the fence, barrier, etc. The only thing I can think of, assuming that they wasn't "messing around", is that they were trying to cross the tracks, the girl in question maybe heard the train coming, & either ran across quickly, or quickly ran back, to avoid the train, waving her arms as she was scared (who wouldn't be in that position???), & tragically the train caught her arm in the process. :(

Bungle73

On Moderation
"Right side", as in behind the fence, barrier, etc. The only thing I can think of, assuming that they wasn't "messing around", is that they were trying to cross the tracks, the girl in question maybe heard the train coming, & either ran across quickly, or quickly ran back, to avoid the train, waving her arms as she was scared (who wouldn't be in that position???), & tragically the train caught her arm in the process. :(

That's what I thought you meant. But it was a designated crossing point. Maybe she was crossing legitimately and just got caught out.

tsr

Established Member
That's what I thought you meant. But it was a designated crossing point. Maybe she was crossing legitimately and just got caught out.

She is very, very lucky not to have got caught in a turbulent flow air current and dragged under the train. Whilst this problem is added to in stations (hence the yellow line) by the forcing of air around both the train and the platform, it can still be an issue on a crossing.

O L Leigh

Established Member
If the crossing has no warning equipment it means that the sight-lines are adequate for a person to see an approaching train and be able to get out of the way. If not, there would be a klaxon, red/green lights or at the very least a whistle board. Every crossing is by design perfectly safe to use provided they are used correctly and users pay attention to the equipment that is there to ensure their safety. Almost every incident on a level crossing has at it's root some aspect of abuse or misuse, whatever the reason.

What went wrong in this instance is a matter for investigation, so to speculate on the causes is pointless. This young girl is, however, very lucky not to have lost her life or, thanks to the skills of the surgeons, her arm. But, she will never get full use back and will always suffer as a consequence of her brush with a train. Even so, I wish her the best for a speedy and complete recovery.

O L Leigh

HugePilchard

I think a potential problem here is that children often don't judge speeds and distances correctly - the same issue can be found on the roads. I'll concede that the majority of the references to this on the web say that children under ten have difficulty judging it, but of course every child is different, and I don't know the poor unfortunate girl to make a judgement on this one.

Also, I don't know about anyone else on here, but as an adult I often find approaching trains quite hard to judge the speed of - I'm quite familiar with standing on the platform while a distant train appears to be taking its time, but within seconds its right in front of you!

Closing foot crossings will just result in more unauthorised crossing points appearing, potentially in places where the person crossing thinks they're convenient, but in actual fact are far more dangerous than the original crossing.

Solutions to introduce warning equipment on all crossings will no doubt be incredibly expensive to implement. So what's the answer?

amcluesent

Thankfully these Prada adverts have now been banned

article-2064946-0EE614D800000578-873_634x354.jpg

CosherB

Established Member
Hear Hear, poor kid rightly or wrongly whatever happened she is still just a child and my best wishes go to her

Absolutely. A tragedy whatever the circumstances especially with someone so young. Lets all hope for a full recovery for her.

androdas

I use this crossimg quite a bit and its quite dangerous - I think it should have lights on as it is on a bend in the railway and if there is background noise (Fire Engine, Tractor, Wind) you cant seem to hear the train whistle very well (They dont seem as loud as they used to be). i have had a close shave a couple of times. Hopefully a thorough investigation will rectify this but it shouldnt take a tragedy like someone getting their arm ripped off to instigate it. I know some residents in Dudley have complained tio be told by Network Rail it is safe.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Glad the operation went well. Just an accident and i am so glad it isnt a fatality.

Shes a kid, kids dont always know. It wont make a difference to the girl but this happaneing may raise at least some awareness of the danger and may save several kids lives not just their limbs.

Hats off to the doctors and surgeons who reattatched her arm!

Just noticed the surgeons second name is schenker.... would of been very wierd if it was a DBS train.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
This is quite sad news and hopefully the operation will be successful.

What I often wonder at, regarding such crossings, is that staff have to go through rigorous training in order to obtain a certificate or licence to allow them trackside yet members of the public are basically allowed on to the business side of the tracks at these crossings without as much as a hint of the dangers involved. There may be signage (or there may not if the vandals have been at it) but the emphasis of the dangers involved are not really apparent. The railway industry rightly trains it's staff thoroughly to the dangers involved having them sit through hard hitting videos etc yet the public are subject to an occasional ad campaign. It takes unfortunate incidents like this to highlight the dangers to them.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
This is quite sad news and hopefully the operation will be successful.

What I often wonder at, regarding such crossings, is that staff have to go through rigorous training in order to obtain a certificate or licence to allow them trackside yet members of the public are basically allowed on to the business side of the tracks at these crossings without as much as a hint of the dangers involved. There may be signage (or there may not if the vandals have been at it) but the emphasis of the dangers involved are not really apparent. The railway industry rightly trains it's staff thoroughly to the dangers involved having them sit through hard hitting videos etc yet the public are subject to an occasional ad campaign. It takes unfortunate incidents like this to highlight the dangers to them.

Good Post, yes the average member of public has a limited idea about crossing the railway, however surely it is considerably safer than crossing a road? Trains have to give a warning, cars don't and the chances of survival after being hit by a car at say 30MPH are very slim.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
... however surely it is considerably safer than crossing a road? Trains have to give a warning, cars don't and the chances of survival after being hit by a car at say 30MPH are very slim.

I would disagree with the chances of surviving being hit by a car at 30 being slim. I was hit by a car doing 40 and suffered a fractured shoulder (my own fault as I thought I was crossing a dual carriageway but it wasn't) and the variables such as angle of impact, design of the vehicle, point of impact all bear their part to play in how serious an injury is sustained. I have also come across others who have been hit by cars at speed and survived - I have yet to meet someone hit by train who has survived and it is that point that really needs to be impressed on the public.

Essexman

Established Member
Crucial difference is that a car may be able to stop or swerve - a train can't.

amcluesent

OT but did the train driver know there had been an incident and stop past the crossing?

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
I would disagree with the chances of surviving being hit by a car at 30 being slim. I was hit by a car doing 40 and suffered a fractured shoulder (my own fault as I thought I was crossing a dual carriageway but it wasn't) and the variables such as angle of impact, design of the vehicle, point of impact all bear their part to play in how serious an injury is sustained. I have also come across others who have been hit by cars at speed and survived - I have yet to meet someone hit by train who has survived and it is that point that really needs to be impressed on the public.

remember the ad campaign 20 hurts, 30 kills that was based on hard evidence, people get hit by trains and survive (even tho that is in the minority) regardless of the different speeds (like cars)

michael769

Established Member
Crucial difference is that a car may be able to stop or swerve - a train can't.

A car also has much greater ability to stop than a train.

The front of a car is specifically designed to do as little damage as possible to a pedestrian whilst also preventing them ending up under the wheels. Trains have neither of these safety features.

If you had to be hit by a vehicle, far better a car than a train trust me.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
A car also has much greater ability to stop than a train.

The front of a car is specifically designed to do as little damage as possible to a pedestrian whilst also preventing them ending up under the wheels. Trains have neither of these safety features.

If you had to be hit by a vehicle, far better a car than a train trust me.

True, but you're less likely to come across a train at speed on your daily perambulations than a car (or van/lorry etc).

richw

Veteran Member
Not to be pedantic but wasn't it 30 hurts, 40 kills?

(Or, more memorably, hit me at 30 and there's an 80% chance I'll live; hit me at 40 and there's an 80% chance I'll die.)

yes was definitely 30 and 40 in the advert,

I use this crossimg quite a bit and its quite dangerous - I think it should have lights on as it is on a bend in the railway and if there is background noise (Fire Engine, Tractor, Wind) you cant seem to hear the train whistle very well (They dont seem as loud as they used to be). i have had a close shave a couple of times. Hopefully a thorough investigation will rectify this but it shouldnt take a tragedy like someone getting their arm ripped off to instigate it. I know some residents in Dudley have complained tio be told by Network Rail it is safe.

Looks out of the way to me (if the aerial photo is correct), what circumstances would require people to use the crossing quite a bit?

androdas

For me its walking my dog. The area may seem like middle of nowhere but in Northumberland terms its quite built up. The aerial photo doesnt really show how much the line curves away. Plus there is a bit of an enbankment on the Dudley side so you sometimes miss the horn from the trains when approaching. Like i said before the trains seemed a bit louder in the past. Maybe tgats a good thing but as trains get quieter we need more protection at crossings.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
yes was definitely 30 and 40 in the advert,

around my area everything has 20mph not 30mph (or words to that effect) which seemed to happen around the same time as the ad campaign

(on a side note just googled and yes you are correct it does state 30mph not 40mph, my apologies) however In my opinion of course that even at these speeds death is still quite likely, I have had a suicide when were doing no more then 20/30mph and lets just say the unfortunate young man is most deffo in the next life whether the same if he got hit by a car who knows? (and I really don't want to find out)

fordylad

Maybe it's crossings that need to be looked at, a train doesn't exactly creep up on you, on the ECML jus outside York there is a pedestrian crossing near Newton on Ouse which has a colour light system to cross the four lines. However when the light turns to red, you only have 12 SECONDS to make it to either side!!
I understand that people get impatient at crossings, but having a disabled member of my family attempting to cross is something of a concern,
again my feelings are with this poor girl and her family, and I wish her a speedy recovery

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Maybe it's crossings that need to be looked at, a train doesn't exactly creep up on you, on the ECML jus outside York there is a pedestrian crossing near Newton on Ouse which has a colour light system to cross the four lines. However when the light turns to red, you only have 12 SECONDS to make it to either side!!
I understand that people get impatient at crossings, but having a disabled member of my family attempting to cross is something of a concern,
again my feelings are with this poor girl and her family, and I wish her a speedy recovery

A Train actually can be extremely quiet! especially electrics, I have known P-way men who have had decades of experience almost being caught out on more than one occasion!

Status
Not open for further replies.