• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow - Edinburgh - different stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I can get from Glasgow - Edinburgh on a turbostar and a voyager, but what about an HST or Class 380?

Yeah, 1 child leaving glasgow whenever, arriving edinburgh wav before 12:45 on sep 24th. Just want to make it a bit more interesting. No 156s. I'd like a reservation (so I'll be booking in advance)

I know ill be paying £5.70 but I don't care that much, just wanting to get there on something thats not a turbostar

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarterUSM

Established Member
380 services to Edinburgh at 0703, 1514, and 1950, the first two are destination North Berwick, and the 1950 Edinburgh Waverley. No reservations on 380's though, not that you'd need one anyway.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
There's three 380s a day from Glasgow Central-Edinburgh / North Berwick via Carstairs, but they leave at irregular times during the day, and won't offer reservations. 334s run via Bathgate, but these are unreservable.

rail-britain

Established Member
Sadly for the date specified no HST on Cross Country

There are no need for reservations on any of these services , normally plenty of choice if you arrive early

You could also travel 09:21 from Glasgow QS via Falkirk Grahamston, this would then allow you to travel on the Inverness - Kings Cross HST between Falkirk 10:45 and Edinburgh 11:17

The return service is 16:33

Last edited:

317 forever

Established Member
There's three 380s a day from Glasgow Central-Edinburgh / North Berwick via Carstairs, but they leave at irregular times during the day, and won't offer reservations. 334s run via Bathgate, but these are unreservable.

That reminds me. I find it odd that the new service from Glasgow to Edinburgh via Bathgate was specified for class 334s rather than new class 380s. I plan to ride this route and a class 380 later this month.

michael769

Established Member
That reminds me. I find it odd that the new service from Glasgow to Edinburgh via Bathgate was specified for class 334s rather than new class 380s. I plan to ride this route and a class 380 later this month.

AIUI, the 380s were earmarked for the ayrshire lines as a capacity increase measure.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Indeed- longer carriages plus some of the fleet is 4 car- I believe they run up to 7 car formation.

cslusarc

Going forward I think that Glasgow-to-Edinburgh needs a new order of 5 and 6 car Class 380s to do the run from Glasgow-Queen Street.

MCR247

Established Member
Thats what TS are proposing. But 125mph capable ones :shock:

rail-britain

Established Member
Going forward I think that Glasgow-to-Edinburgh needs a new order of 5 and 6 car Class 380s
Already discussed, the Class 380 is basically a test bed for this
The units will be a mix of 4 car capable of 100mph and 6 car, capable of 125mph
However, initially they will all operate at 100mph

rail-britain

Established Member
I honestly don't get this requirement, it seems like it's going to add cost/complexity to project for the benefit of a couple of minuets saved. Why bother?
Equally, that has been the majority of the response from passengers during surveys
Furthermore many don't see the point of electrification to simply reduce the journey time from 50 minutes to 37 minutes (a 25% reduction)
Is 13 minutes worth investing for?
Seems TS say yes

The same parallel issue existed with Ayr Line, many people did not see the advantage of reducing the journey time from just over 1 hour to 50 minutes

The final benefit is reduction noise and emissions

route:oxford

Established Member
Already discussed, the Class 380 is basically a test bed for this

Would a 7 car emu fit in all platforms (bar platform 1?) at Queen Street? If so, then it would probably be wise to order for maximum passenger accommodation.

I suspect that the distributed traction of an emu would offer a prompt exit from Queen Street.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I honestly don't get this requirement, it seems like it's going to add cost/complexity to project for the benefit of a couple of minuets saved. Why bother?

It looks silly, especially when you consider that the Edinburgh - Glasgow services are dealing with:

Edinburgh - Newbridge Junction - four "all stops" services an hour (to Glasgow area via Bathgate)
Edinburgh - Newbridge Junction - Polmont - two "all stops" services an hour (to Dunblane)
Greenhill - Glasgow - two "all stops" services an hour (from Dunblane/ Alloa)
Greenhill - Glasgow - one or two "fast" services an hour (from Aberdeen/ Inverness etc)

...and no loops/ scope for overtaking.

(plus freight etc)

So thats about seven miles "free" between Polmont and Greenhill, which involves the stop at Falkirk High. Not exactly a lot of scope for 125 mph running.

MacCookie

Already discussed, the Class 380 is basically a test bed for this [E&G EMUs]

LMAO! Do you just make this stuff up?!

Ewan
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Correct, p2-7 can take between 7-9 cars IIRC; p1 only 4 cars.

No they can't. Assuming that TS spec 23m bodies again, the maximum train lengths are as follows:

1 - 3 coaches
2 - 6 coaches
3 - 5 coaches
4 - 5 coaches
5 - 7 coaches
6 - 7 coaches
7 - 8 coaches

Ewan

junglejames

Established Member
LMAO! Do you just make this stuff up?!

Ewan

Nope, he isnt just making it up. What would be the point in that.
Scotrail have come out and said this is the plan. Have you seen the posters advertising massively reduced journey times?

matchmaker

Established Member
It looks silly, especially when you consider that the Edinburgh - Glasgow services are dealing with:

Edinburgh - Newbridge Junction - four "all stops" services an hour (to Glasgow area via Bathgate)
Edinburgh - Newbridge Junction - Polmont - two "all stops" services an hour (to Dunblane)
Greenhill - Glasgow - two "all stops" services an hour (from Dunblane/ Alloa)
Greenhill - Glasgow - one or two "fast" services an hour (from Aberdeen/ Inverness etc)

...and no loops/ scope for overtaking.

(plus freight etc)

So thats about seven miles "free" between Polmont and Greenhill, which involves the stop at Falkirk High. Not exactly a lot of scope for 125 mph running.

Loops (both sides) at Cadder and Gartshore, up side at Linlithgow. There are also proposals to considerably change the setup at Greenhill Upper Junction.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Loops (both sides) at Cadder and Gartshore, up side at Linlithgow. There are also proposals to considerably change the setup at Greenhill Upper Junction.

Fair enough - serves me right for not paying attention :oops:

I still think that the amount of "stoppers" (and flat junctions etc) means that 125mph would be completely over-speccing. What next - 90mph DMUs allocated to the short electrified Lymington branch? Oh... :oops:

MacCookie

Nope, he isnt just making it up. What would be the point in that.
Scotrail have come out and said this is the plan. Have you seen the posters advertising massively reduced journey times?

I've got no idea why he'd make it up.

And yes, I've seen all the stuff published about EGIP.

Ewan

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Fair enough - serves me right for not paying attention :oops:

I still think that the amount of "stoppers" (and flat junctions etc) means that 125mph would be completely over-speccing. What next - 90mph DMUs allocated to the short electrified Lymington branch? Oh... :oops:

that's got 100mph EMUs at the weekend- but then the old units they replaced were certainly 90mph capable.

Clearly what E-G actually needs is a 200mph+ maglev- I believe politicians may have even suggested this at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.