• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Queen Street refurbishment and remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
If they were to electrify it, you've got the potential to stable EMUs in Yoker depot too with quite a short ECS run to the upper level. Of course, since they're not putting wires up at the moment, that ain't going to happen!

However, with it being a gap in the network, I wonder if there's going to be wires going up some time soonish (after the works of course)?

Keith Brown previously confirmed it will follow immediately after the EGIP works, so I would expect it to be funded in CP6 and for works to commence in 2019 or 2020.

It was costed at £25m in 2013, but I'd need to have a closer look to see if that included installing and wiring the crossover, or if the £25m is from the currently planned extent of electrification onwards, though in any case, the current works make the future electrification that little bit easier.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
That tunnel looks unsuitably tight for electrification work going forward.
It's more a bridge than tunnel so presumably can be raised if required.

Edit: Actually, I just realised which bridge/tunnel it is - might not be so easy to raise!

Last edited:

Class 170101

Established Member
Will have to lower the track bed instead I guess but I bet that hasn't been considered in this reconnection project.

It's more a bridge than tunnel so presumably can be raised if required.

Edit: Actually, I just realised which bridge/tunnel it is - might not be so easy to raise!

More Tha likely the use of a solid conductor bar for the OHL.

The solution already adopted at Waverley and on the current EGIP project.

snowball

Established Member
Is there a limit to how tight a clearance solid conductor bar can be used with?

There has to be.

I imagine it's the same as for a wire but with the allowance for wire bounce or position uncertainty left out.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There has to be.

I imagine it's the same as for a wire but with the allowance for wire bounce or position uncertainty left out.

It would have to have an allowance for the thickness of the bar added in though, partly cancelling out this benefit. There is maybe 50mm of what looks like aluminium above the copper wire and this is also live at 25kV.

marks87

Established Member
We're now within 3 months of the closure, which means timetables for 20th-27th March are on RTT.

It looks like Queen Street Low Level will be accommodating:

2tph Edinburgh (via Falkirk High)
2tph 4tph Edinburgh (via A-B)
2tph Airdrie
2tph Cumbernauld (via Springburn)
1tph Alloa
1tph Stirling/Perth/Dundee
3tpd WHL

There's also 1tph Falkirk Grahamston-Anniesland. Which means the Maryhill loop has 5tph as predicted (2 Edinburgh, 1 Alloa, 1 Stirling/Perth/Dundee, 1 Anniesland-Falkirk Grahamston).

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/GLQ/2016/03/21/1300?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt (GLQ)

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/MYH/2016/03/21/1300?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt (MYH)

From what I can also gather, it seems Aberdeen and Inverness have more or less a normal service, albeit into Central with ~30mins onto journey times. Arbroath and Carnoustie terminators, as you'd expect, are cancelled.

This is just from a quick look, so it's possible I've missed something - feel free to correct me if I have!

Last edited:

Carntyne

Looks like 4tph via Airdrie to Edinburgh, the 2HXX & 2MXX services. Plus the 2EXX Balloch services to Airdrie.

me123

Established Member
There's a few trains that run to the High Level platforms that I think are just errors.

For example, 1Y20 (05:20 Oban-GLQ) is booked into platform 5, but its outbound working to Eastfield, 5Y20, is routed through Bellgrove.

There's also a lot of services out to Edinburgh (the ones calling at Croy) that are also booked out of Platforms 6 or 4, but with no corresponding inbound working I'd suggest it's an oversight at the moment.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Looks like 4tph via Airdrie to Edinburgh, the 2HXX & 2MXX services. Plus the 2EXX Balloch services to Airdrie.

Normal service on the North Clydes, although the times are revised.

ld0595

he evening arbroath and carnoustie terminators are running from the low level platforms

2N47 1522 glasgow to arbroath (timed for a 75mph class 156!!!)
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G64049/2016/03/21/advanced

2A49 1622 glasgow to carnoustie
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G64061/2016/03/21/advanced

1A89 1941 glasgow to aberdeen is interestingly running from platform 4!?
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G60237/2016/03/21/advanced

The Arbroath train will probably be the usual 170 anyway. One of the last Glasgow to Dundee stoppers are timed for 75mph but are infact a 170.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
With train times now up maybe it's time ScotRail started on the publicity? Nothing in the "upcoming engineering" section of their site

Altnabreac

Established Member
With train times now up maybe it's time ScotRail started on the publicity? Nothing in the "upcoming engineering" section of their site

Winchburgh Tunnel publicity was all done in around February for a May start date so that would suggest the publicity should be ramping up soon.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

There's this under "Current Engineering Work" on NRE: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/today.aspx

Apart from changes already noted further up the thread, there are significant changes to the routing of Central LL services to accommodate the extra trains via Queen St LL.
The Glasgow-Markinch service is cancelled.
It will be handy for WCML passengers to travel on to Inverness/Aberdeen from Central without the hike across town.
Is it the first time this has been possible at the same Glasgow station since the closure of Buchanan St?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It will be handy for WCML passengers to travel on to Inverness/Aberdeen from Central without the hike across town.
Is it the first time this has been possible at the same Glasgow station since the closure of Buchanan St?

For a brief period in the 1980's BR ScotRail ran a loco-hauled push pull set from Inverness to Glasgow Central on a Friday. I'm sure it was timed to arrive in GC to connect into the "Nightrider" seated overnight service to Euston.

Class 170101

Established Member
Note that the Glasgow to Edinburgh services via Falkirk High arer running anti clockwise around Glasgow but the Alloa services appear to be running clockwise around Glasgow.

Is this a change to the plan I thought all services were to run anti-clockwise around Glasgow to reduce the number of junction conflicts?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Interestingly Falkirk Grahamston to Maryhill services are not calling at Springburn in this direction (after 10:05) but are calling in the reverse direction all day.

Falkirk Grahamston to Anniesland (note the unadvertised stops after 10:05)
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...16/03/21/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Anniesland to Falkirk Grahamston
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...16/03/21/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
They can't all run the same direction round Glasgow. The Edinburghs for example, run in a clockwise manner so that the trains just keep on going in the direction of travel, i.e. in via Maryhill and Anniesland to Queen St thence via Springburn. The Alloas do the opposite direction.

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
The info leeking out gives hints of prep works for the main redevelopment. What are these likely to involve? Also, how much less space on the GLQ high level concourse will there be post platform lemgthaning works?

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
The info leeking out gives hints of prep works for the main redevelopment. What are these likely to involve? Also, how much less space on the GLQ high level concourse will there be post platform lemgthaning works?

Work should be starting around July/August 2016 to coincide with the Millennium Hotel extension's closure in January 2017.

The plans that I've seen currently have the existing ticket office to be closed and a temporary replacement prepared, retail space below station manager's office to be stripped and converted to additional circulation space, some works on Dundas Street to create safe walking routes, all of which should run through to September, then more stripping out work through to January 2017 with demolition shortly thereafter.

Concourse space is changed at the same time as platform lengthening is happening, so there's not a massive difference in the platform space before or after the rebuilding works, though there will be disruption during the works themselves.

Electrification of the platforms and train shed is separate to the rebuilding as is, but installation of rigid overhead conductor is concurrent with the tunnel rebuilding this summer.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Good luck to anyone wanting a coffee, food or a toothbrush at GLQ from Summer onwards with what will be pritty much all retail offering gone by Xmas. Im all for more platform space and wiring here but RIP another Burger King. Seriously though the programming of these works is it would seam cleverly done so full marks

Status
Not open for further replies.