• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Queen Street refurbishment and remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimShady

Established Member
I am certain that I have seen a photograph of a class 40 up on the concourse at platform 7, having run away down the bank, can't for the life of me find a reference to it or the original photograph
The class 40 had come off Eastfield depot with the loco brakes isolated. No amount of bufferstop TPWS OSS loops would stop something like that these days before it ended up heading for George Square...

I'm sure I've got a picture of it somewhere including the smashed up GUV.

The loco rolled all the way from Eastfield down the Cowlairs incline?

Not my pic but is this it with the GUV?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13LRfqYkuwmZVB0DtqP9yd5oR5fRfaj-H/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
(I was tempted to post this as a new “What is this called?” thread to get everyone twitching to type “datum plate” before they had even looked at the photo <D but we’ve had that joke more than once).

In the light of discussion above re overruns and safety at a terminus at the bottom of a steep hill, I am sure that many of us here would welcome an authoritative comment on these grids which have been installed a short distance in front of the extended platform 2 and 3 tracks and the part they play in helping to prevent mishaps:

A6B50C46-004C-4FC2-A721-45CC1C4C94ED.jpeg

edwin_m

Veteran Member
TPWS grids. Equipment on the underside of the train detects these via electromagnetism, and if the time between them is less than a certain amount then the train is going too fast and the emergency brakes are applied.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
TPWS grids. Equipment on the underside of the train detects these via electromagnetism, and if the time between them is less than a certain amount then the train is going too fast and the emergency brakes are applied.
...and they don’t seem to be new, so the existing grids repositioned presumably?

I also wonder if those daubs of white paint on the rail web are related, in which case the one in the foreground might have missed its target!

scotraildriver

Established Member
Although TPWS would do nothing to stop a train If the brakes were isolated, as they were on the Class 40.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
I thought I'd spoil your weekend - so here's Update 39. I had a meeting with the Queen Street Station lead architect Edward Dymock this morning 8-) so I should be able to make more informed comments in future. The videos will still be rubbish of course :lol:.

mcmad

The actual new roof on the concourse leaks like a sieve I know its still ongoing but its not exactly inspiring confidence in the quality of the construction.

Carntyne

The actual new roof on the concourse leaks like a sieve I know its still ongoing but its not exactly inspiring confidence in the quality of the construction.
It's not even finished yet. Give them a chance.

mcmad

its not though, its dripping through the flat section. I'm struggling to come up with a construction methodology means this is anything other than poor quality installation which will be patched up short term and the leaks return.

hwl

Established Member
its not though, its dripping through the flat section. I'm struggling to come up with a construction methodology means this is anything other than poor quality installation which will be patched up short term and the leaks return.
The station twitter photos show the roof isn't complete and the drainage is a work in progress as there is temporary sheeting under those areas to deal with the worst of it.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
As far as I’m aware, the final (waterproof) layer hasn’t been applied yet to the main concourse roof. Unless it has changed completely in the last few days it still looks more or less like this:

8666E895-5070-4122-A3B9-5118FD2D4B7C.jpeg
I think that is still just the main decking (probably not the right term) that has been installed on the roof, so it will keep some of the rain off.

I’ll get my seagull to have a look again tomorrow.

Last edited:

haggishunter

Could fit a nice high level mezzanine bar in a bit of that roof space about 2/3rds of the way up with a nice beer terrace cantilevered outside the glass overlooking the square under the cover of the roof overhang! :smile:

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Could fit a nice high level mezzanine bar in a bit of that roof space about 2/3rds of the way up with a nice beer terrace cantilevered outside the glass overlooking the square under the cover of the roof overhang! :smile:
:lol:

Sent the seagull out and this is what the roof looked like this morning:

B44A5CEE-A5D8-48EA-B5DC-079F7FCC2039.jpeg

Inside there were more leaks (evidenced by wet patches and/or cones) to be seen round the sides of the existing train shed than under the new roof, though the rain was light at the time.

Under the join with the south extension now seems fairly dry but there were a few drips elsewhere. I’m actually surprised how well it has done considering the weather we’ve had.

1CB7CA8C-56CF-4BD9-AB24-B321B73268C0.jpeg

It looks a lot better with glass rather than plywood in the roof light.

GrimShady

Established Member

Wasn't that included as part of the original plan? The issue there is blocking out all the natural light for the concourse.

I'm sure I also seen plans for an open food court bar area on a mezz level in what was supposed to be the Galleries extension in the old goods yard.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Voyeurs paradise, you would have loads of Glasgow blokes with cricks in their necks!

Judging by some of the appalling sights o_O to be seen passing through Queen St and Central stations during the July TRNSMT festival, perhaps not. :( More likely people with downcast eyes would bump into each other trying to avoid that which once seen cannot be ‘un-seen’.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
To return to topic, a couple of short Twitter videos below to keep things going until the next update:

On the glazing which is now at the halfway point on the main south window

On progress on the Dundas Street building and the new west entrance

Status
Not open for further replies.