• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GMPTE Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lampshade

Established Member
Moderators note: Posts by 91107 and 67029 from the meet proposal topic moved into this topic.

I'm on my first train feeling like a prize idiot, arrived ten minutes late at the meeting point and missed everyone :(

EDIT (19:20):

GRRR!

I just checked Google Maps to check the extent to which I'd gone wrong with my Poynton - Middlewood 'jog', which turned into a Poynton - Middlewood - Hazel Grove torture run. Turns out I'd run way past the station having misread a road sign (passed Green Lane, assumed Prince Road would be next but must have passed it without noticing) and ended up at the level crossing further up, which was closed, for the train I'd hoped to get to cross :(

Not helped by the fact that nobody in Poynton had a clue where the nearest entrance to the Middlewood Way was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
I'll go first.

Firstly, nice to see a load of new people there :) and see a few old faces again.

My day was a nice day out, but not regarding the challenge.

I teamed up with 67029 and we caught the 1037 to Liverpool, getting off at Warrington Cntl. After walking to Bank Quay, the Pendolino was 10 minutes late.

This meant missing the connection at Wallgate and taking a completely different train back into Central Manchester, we'd lost 7 stations!! Knowing the kind of totals people were near, I knew this then put me to the back of the pack, no matter how perfect the rest of my day was.

As I arrived back into Piccadilly, the Preston vs Chelsea match was starting, so ChrisTheRef's mate and myself watched that, drank lots of beer and played pool.

67029 continued using my plan. I'll let him explain the rest :)

A nice day, but winning would have been better.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Those who attended the meal enjoyed some typical Saturday evening Mancunian street entertainment.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A load of skinheads fighting outside the Brunswick pub. It was quite a scene. Tables, chairs, etc being thrown, it went on like this for quite a while, and then it suddenly exploded and became even more violent with one group making a run for it, round back streets (Paton Street / Dale Street) presumably to the side entrance of Piccadilly station, while the larger group initially chased them, then let them run off and then casually walked to the front entrance. Loads of police around at the station and I'm pretty sure it didn't kick off again after that. No police to be seen near the pub where it all kicked off. The pavement outside the pub was left in a mess!

Anyway a good meet, and those who missed the meal missed out :p

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, we were expecting a certain few people at the meal and it was a shame some people missed out.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I just checked Google Maps to check the extent to which I'd gone wrong with my Poynton - Middlewood 'jog', which turned into a Poynton - Middlewood - Hazel Grove torture run.
I looked on an OS map on my laptop on the train back, and am quite surprised at this. You must be a keen sportsman to attempt such a run? :o It's around 2.5 miles uphill from Poynton to Middlewood! Ironically Paul1609 was going to do this exact route last Spring, but in the opposite direction, and on a bike, after a cycle ride meet on the Middlewood way. However we skipped the road bit between Congleton and Macclesfield so finished early and no need to do that. I am familiar with the Middlewood Way having done it twice myself. I am not surprised the people from Poynton don't know where it is, but if you asked in Higher Poynton then that is perhaps a little surprising. Did you go back to Middlewood or go on to Hazel Grove? Either way that's a long distance by foot.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Apologies about missing the meal. As I'd been watching football since 1pm, I'd eaten far too much and was probably just over the drink/drive limit as it was...

The last thing I wanted was more food/drink!

I enjoyed myself, it was a good day out but with some very tight connections! The best part was winning, thanks to Jordy's expert planning skills :)

Jordy

Established Member
Yes it was very good, if a little tight at times!

For the record our route was

Code:
Piccadilly - Wilmslow (via Airport)
Wilmslow - Stockport
Stockport - Piccadilly
Piccadilly - Romiley
Romiley - Guide Bridge
Guide Bridge - Broadbottom
Broadbottom - Piccadilly
Piccadilly - Salford Crescent
Salford Crescent - Wigan Wallgate
Wigan Wallgate - Bolton
Bolton - Horwich Parkway
Horwich Parkway - Bolton
Bolton - Victoria

then tram back to Piccadilly! 48 stations in total, in this order

Code:
[LIST=1]
[*]Piccadilly
[*]Mauldeth Road
[*]Burnage
[*]East Didsbury
[*]Gatley
[*]Heald Green
[*]Manchester Airport
[*]Stockport
[*]Heaton Chapel
[*]Levenshulme
[*]Ashburys
[*]Belle Vue
[*]Ryder Brow
[*]Reddish North
[*]Brinnington
[*]Bredbury
[*]Romiley
[*]Woodley
[*]Hyde Central
[*]Hyde North
[*]Guide Bridge
[*]Flowery Field
[*]Newton for Hyde
[*]Godley
[*]Hattersley
[*]Broadbottom
[*]Gorton
[*]Oxford Road
[*]Deansgate
[*]Salford Crescent
[*]Swinton
[*]Moorside
[*]Walkden
[*]Atherton
[*]Hag Fold
[*]Daisy Hill
[*]Hindley
[*]Ince
[*]Wigan Wallgate
[*]Westhoughton
[*]Bolton
[*]Lostock
[*]Horwich Parkway
[*]Moses Gate
[*]Farnworth
[*]Kearsley
[*]Salford Central
[*]Victoria[/LIST]

Everything went fairly smoothly, due to a delay on the Wilmslow to Stockport Pendo we thought we were going to miss the stopper that would allow us to get Heaton Chapel and Levenshulme, but thankfully that was slightly late so we made it ok! Even then due to the late running of the stopper we nearly missed our Romiley train at Piccadilly. Everything ran fine after then, there was a +3 at Wigan Wallgate which was easily made, followed by a +3 (more of a +2 due to delays) at Bolton, which had to be done rather quickly - the footbridge is a long way from where the trains actually stop on the platform! We just made it thanks to a helpful dispatcher who held the train for the 10-12 seconds it took for us to reach the doors! Other than that nothing went particularly wrong.

Sorry I couldn't make the meal, would've like to but I had prior arrangements and needed to get home.

Code:
Piccadilly 1046
Wilmslow 1120

Wilmslow 1127
Stockport 1136

Stockport 1142
Piccadilly 1156

Piccadilly 1203
Romiley 1223

Romiley 1235
Guide Bridge 1248

Guide Bridge 1258
Broadbottom 1309

Broadbottom 1316
Piccadilly 1342

Piccadilly 1354
Salford Crescent 1404

Salford Crescent 1417
Wigan Wallgate 1451

Wigan Wallgate 1453
Bolton 1512

Bolton 1515
Horwich Parkway 1524

Horwich Parkway 1527
Bolton 1534

Bolton 1539
Victoria 1606

A good day, thanks to ChrisTheRef for organising it :)

Lampshade

Established Member
Woke up with a migraine at 8, took some paracetamol and went back to bed for an hour, except I accidentally set my alarm for half 9 – PM. Woke up again at 10:20, legged it to Piccadilly and managed to buy my day ranger two minutes before my planned first train was due to depart.

I looked on an OS map on my laptop on the train back, and am quite surprised at this. You must be a keen sportsman to attempt such a run? :o It's around 2.5 miles uphill from Poynton to Middlewood! Ironically Paul1609 was going to do this exact route last Spring, but in the opposite direction, and on a bike, after a cycle ride meet on the Middlewood way. However we skipped the road bit between Congleton and Macclesfield so finished early and no need to do that. I am familiar with the Middlewood Way having done it twice myself. I am not surprised the people from Poynton don't know where it is, but if you asked in Higher Poynton then that is perhaps a little surprising. Did you go back to Middlewood or go on to Hazel Grove? Either way that's a long distance by foot.

I didn't know it was uphill until I got there but either way it's only a few miles, a few times I've been to New Mills and walked back to Manchester just because I fancied a walk. I look at something and think "is this a good idea?" "probably not". "Is it technically possible?", "yes", "then I'll do it". I just made the mistake of missing the turning and bypassing the station.

I got to the A6 at High Lane at 12:02, having missed the 11:57 from Middlewood. I checked National Rail Enquiries for the next departure from Hazel Grove, it was at 12:33 so I legged it there, although very out of breath and feeling like I was about to have a heart attack when I finally got on the train, pretty much 5 miles in total :shock:

I got into Horwich Parkway just before 13:27, allowing my original plan to resume, albeit an hour early as I’d planned to do Rose Hill/Hope Valley upon returning from Middlewood. I went to Bolton and caught the stopper to Victoria, which was a bit of luck as the same train formed the 14:10 to Kirkby, which averted a tight connection. At Wigan Wallgate I was cursed with an ex-MerseyRail 142 back to Piccadilly, checking National Rail to find out what services I could cram into the last 90 minutes. I caught the 15:45 to Marple, I could have gone to Strines and jogged back to Marple which I've also done before but by now I was knackered.

Starting to wish I'd have stayed for the meal now, hardly spoke to anyone :|

Oh and Chris, when I said hoist a flag, I didn't think you actually would :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
http://www.gmp.police.uk/mainsite/pages/2781F99ECEDA7C6D802576B6002BD751.htm

Arrests after violent brawl (North Manchester)

Police are appealing for witnesses after a brawl at a pub.

At about 6.50pm on Saturday 23 January 2010, police were called to the Brunswick pub on Piccadilly in Manchester city centre following reports of a large fight with chairs and broken bottles.

Officers attended and found dozens of men involved in the fight, many of whom fled from the scene when they saw the police cars arriving.
This isn't my recollection of how it ended! The police didn't arrive until after the crowd dispersed due to one group running away from the other I am pretty sure?!
There were no reports of any serious injuries but a number of people did suffer minor cuts and bruises.
I'd hate to see a serious injury then, those cuts on the heads looked nasty to me!!
Ten men were arrested on suspicion of theft and affray and remain in police custody for questioning.
Goodness knows how they managed to identify them.
Police are now appealing to anyone who witnessed the fight or who has any information to come forward.
Well, I am unsure what help we could be now. It happened so fast! All I know is it was a group of blokes I'd never seen before fighting each other.
Detective Inspector Mark Hudson, of Grey Mare Lane CID, said: "Violence of any sort is totally unacceptable, but when it happens in pubs there is always a risk innocent people will get caught up in it. This incident spilled onto a busy city centre street where there were members of the public going about their business. This group showed a total disregard for the people in the area, who were rightly distressed and could easily have been injured by one of the flying chairs.

"Greater Manchester Police works very hard with its partner agencies and licensees to stamp out alcohol-related violence, and a recent operation conducted by this Force led to more than 700 arrests for those wanted for violent disorder, which shows how determined we are to tackle this problem.

"At that time of day, there would have been a lot of potential witnesses both inside the pub and on the surrounding streets who might have seen the incident or some of the men running away. If you do have any information, please come forward and tell us so we can send the message that violence will not be tolerated and the perpetrators face harsh penalties."

Anyone with information is asked to call Grey Mare Lane CID on 0161 856 3540 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Also here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8478209.stm

paul1609

Established Member
Apologies about missing the meal. As I'd been watching football since 1pm, I'd eaten far too much and was probably just over the drink/drive limit as it was...

The last thing I wanted was more food/drink!

Not to mention your Skouse Cerfew Tag which activates at 7 pm :)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Not really sure what information I could provide, other than the fact their press officer is a liar ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.