• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GMPTE Wayfarer 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

trickyvegas

Just bought myself a coupple of wayfarer tickets for return trips to Chorley and noticed that the scratch off panels for the year only go up to 2012. Does anybody working in ticket offices know if this ticket will be available in the new year and whether any price changes are planned, it's an absolute bargain at £10.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The Wayfarers you have have probably been under lock and key for a while. I've just had a new supply of Wayfarers delivered with the years 2013 and 2014 on them, so yes they will still be available in 2013. Strangely enough I had someone ask me the other week if they were going to change to 'standard stock' (whatever that might be) from next year as he had 'heard a rumour'. Anyway, I digress, they will be available next year.

trickyvegas

The Wayfarers you have have probably been under lock and key for a while. I've just had a new supply of Wayfarers delivered with the years 2013 and 2014 on them, so yes they will still be available in 2013. Strangely enough I had someone ask me the other week if they were going to change to 'standard stock' (whatever that might be) from next year as he had 'heard a rumour'. Anyway, I digress, they will be available next year.

Thanks for the response, any movement on the price or still at £10?

Established Member
The last wayfarer I had this year had 2013 on and even last year did, so the ones you bought must have been quite old. The prices are increasing in January to £11 (Adult), Group (£22) and £6 (Concessionary)

The last wayfarer I had this year had 2013 on and even last year did, so the ones you bought must have been quite old. The prices are increasing in January to £11 (Adult), Group (£22) and £6 (Concessionary)

I've been trying to buy "2013" tickets for several weeks at various Greater Manchester stations, including Piccadilly and Airport, but all stock has been "end 2012".

34D

Established Member
It might be worth the OP checking whether or not they will be exchanged on request (WYPTE will exchange the Metro west yorks ones).

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....Or just asking for some that are valid next year.

All Northern offices have had time to order new stock since they were reminded to check their stock, and some orders have gone through since that reminder was sent.

oddiesjack

I bought 2 "concession" GMPTE wayfarers from Hazel Grove on Saturday morning. They have years 2012 2013 and 2014 on them.

trickyvegas

The ones I bought from are from Stalybridge station. As they are described as a pre-purchase, self-dated product I hope no-one has inadvertantly bought the old stock to use in January.

oddiesjack

Would it be valid to use a GMPTE wayfarer on a Sheffield-Manchester fast train , if I held a valid Sheffield-Grindleford ticket?

sheff1

Established Member
I've been trying to buy "2013" tickets for several weeks at various Greater Manchester stations, including Piccadilly and Airport, but all stock has been "end 2012".

Me too. I also tried Rochdale bus station where the guy said that he had contacted staff at other bus stations and they had nothing dated beyond 2012 either.

I was going to try at the airport yesterday (they had none before I flew out) but as a Sheffield train was about to depart I didn't get chance.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Have previously returned an unused "out of date" Wayfarer ticket to the FREEPOST address shown on the back of the ticket, and it's been replaced no problem.

radamfi

Established Member
http://www.tfgm.com/journey_planning/Tickets/Pages/tickets_wayfarer.aspx

says that you if you buy the ticket from a TfGM Travelshop you can now only use it on the day of purchase. So presumably if you want a scratch off ticket you now have to get it from a rail station.

According to uk.railway, it is planned that Wayfarers will be able to be printed on normal railway ticket stock from May, enabling train conductors and ticket staff nationwide to be able to issue the ticket. Scratch off Wayfarers will be phased out by the end of the year.

tamesidedepot

http://www.tfgm.com/journey_planning/Tickets/Pages/tickets_wayfarer.aspx

says that you if you buy the ticket from a TfGM Travelshop you can now only use it on the day of purchase. So presumably if you want a scratch off ticket you now have to get it from a rail station.

According to uk.railway, it is planned that Wayfarers will be able to be printed on normal railway ticket stock from May, enabling train conductors and ticket staff nationwide to be able to issue the ticket. Scratch off Wayfarers will be phased out by the end of the year.

The Travelshop in Piccadilly Gardens still had some scratch-off ones today, so I got one, but the very nice lady said she should have sold me one for immediate use. She agreed that the idea of them only being available on the day from paypoint outlets etc was not helpful. She also gave me a comments form to put my views in writing - I got the impression that many have complained about the new order for the Wayfarer ticket.
If tickets could also be bought on the bus it would be helpful, as the first bus from near where I live is at 0430, the earliest a paypoint opens is 0600.

Established Member
Over the years, found about 15-20% travelling with Wayfarers not scratched off and either hurriedly scratching it during the ticket check, or claiming they 'didn't know how to scratch it off' (???!).

A great shame, as I use the tickets myself and as always, the actions of a few always spoil it for the rest.

Howardh

Established Member
I think it's terrific value, and use it a lot from Lostock/Horwich to the Peaks. Don't mind the £1 increase, I was expecting it either to be withdrawn or increased by more.

Maybe they could do a Sunday Wayfarer for a tenner or less until, say Easter and get peeps used to buying it??

oddiesjack

The Concessionary Fare version for us old crumblies has gone up from £5 to £6, which is one heck of an increase! I was expecting to pay £5.50 when I "restocked" on Saurday at Buxton, given that the full price one is now £11. Its still very good value though.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Over the years, found about 15-20% travelling with Wayfarers not scratched off and either hurriedly scratching it during the ticket check, or claiming they 'didn't know how to scratch it off' (???!).

A great shame, as I use the tickets myself and as always, the actions of a few always spoil it for the rest.

Indeed. The number with undated or incorrectly dated tickets I come across is quite a high proportion. Strangely this problem doesn't seem to exist to the same extent in West Yorkshire with their scratch off tickets.

I think the idea that all these sort of tickets can be sold by bus drivers and rail stations / Guards on standard stock for that operator is a good one. Historically it has always been claimed, especially in West Yorkshire, that intermodal tickets can't be on normal stock as other operators staff won't be able to understand everyone else's tickets and accounting for them will be tricky. This doesn't seem to be a problem in the West Midlands where I remember purchasing Centro Daytrippers valid on trains, trams and buses, from bus drivers of differing companies 10 years ago without problem. As long as the wording is consistent (Such as the GM area System 1 tickets which all say "Daysaver TB" for example, no matter what TIS issued them) I can't see a problem. With the advent of newer ticket machines on even the smaller bus companies it should be possible to sell a wider range of tickets.

radamfi

Established Member
You can already buy a System One bus, tram and train DaySaver from a bus driver for £8.30. It seems a minor change to allow them to also sell the Wayfarer as well. The Derbyshire Wayfarer has been available from bus drivers for years.

Lucky63

The Concessionary Fare version for us old crumblies has gone up from £5 to £6, which is one heck of an increase! I was expecting to pay £5.50 when I "restocked" on Saurday at Buxton, given that the full price one is now £11. Its still very good value though.

They stayed at £5 from September 2010 to January 2013 which is a ridiculous amount of time for a ticket to stay the same price. It was quite unbelievable value at £5 and is still very respectable at £6.

sheff1

Established Member

I was told at Manchester Piccadilly yesterday that scratch off Wayfarers will not be sold at stations after the end of this month. None of the scratch offs they had were dated beyond 2013. Rochdale station has already stopped selling scatch offs and had bagged their remaining stock for return to TfGM

The Virgin staff at Piccadilly were unsure whether guards would be able to issue Wayfarers on trains if you boarded at an unstaffed station. They referred to an internal notice which apparently suggested that Northern guards might be able to, but not other TOCs. They also believed that Northern will take over management of the Wayfarer from 1st August.

Does anyone working in the area have any definitive info ?

Last edited:

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
I was told at Manchester Piccadilly yesterday that scratch off Wayfarers will not be sold at stations after the end of this month. None of the scratch offs they had were dated beyond 2013. Rochdale station has already stopped selling scatch offs and had bagged their remaining stock for return to TfGM

The Virgin staff at Piccadilly were unsure whether guards would be able to issue Wayfarers on trains if you boarded at an unstaffed station. They referred to an internal notice which apparently suggested that Northern guards might be able to, but not other TOCs. They also believed that Northern will take over management of the Wayfarer from 1st August.

Does anyone working in the area have any definitive info ?

They will be able to be sold on Avantix, I haven't looked on mine yet, but I have seen the briefing which says they can be sold on Avantix, so should be able to buy on board. I cannot see why they would be restricted to Northern trains, but I will have a look tomorrow.

sheff1

Established Member
Thanks for that. Sounds good. I bought a couple of scratch cards, so hopefully any initial problems will be sorted by the time I need to purchase one on a Hope Valley stopper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.