• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GN Class 717

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
These attacks are increasing in frequency (387s were done last night too) because they're being cleaned so slowly. It's clear that when your 'work' is on show for weeks externally and months internally (700 051 has one toilet covered that hasn't been cleaned all summer) that it encourages you, and others, to keep doing it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aictos

Established Member
These attacks are increasing in frequency (387s were done last night too) because they're being cleaned so slowly. It's clear that when your 'work' is on show for weeks externally and months internally (700 051 has one toilet covered that hasn't been cleaned all summer) that it encourages you, and others, to keep doing it.

Which is why GTR management need a good hard slap across the back of the head for 1. They're not being as proactive as they ought to be in tackling anti social behaviour and 2. By taking their time to remove the damage they are simply encouraging it to happen in the first place.

Any volunteers?

Not the reversing sidings - nothing can be stabled here, only used for reversing over the flyover. May have happened to the units stored adjacent in Ferme Park but equally as likely inside Hornsey depot itself. It's pretty dead in there after 2am and a number of units have been hit over the last year there.

Which surprises me because I would have thought a depot like Hornsey would be more secure then outlying yards such as Hertford and Welwyn etc

Class315

Hornsey have ran out of the cleaning solution used to remove the graffiti and are currently awaiting more hence why that 387 and a couple 313’s are running around with graffiti. It was always inevitable that the 717’s would get tagged, but until the company invests in security it’ll be a frequent occurrence albeit maybe not at Hertford until the overnight stabling issues are resolved, but all outstable locations should be protected by security.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Where does this cleaning solution come from? They need to hurry up because letting trains run around with entire doors and windows covered up is only going to encourage these wonderful, misunderstood, artists that are simply trying to express themselves through art.*

* how some people see them, rather than criminal scum that are very likely involved in more dodgy activities.

332 > 444

Three Bridges say that if the spray paint ain't obscuring the vision of the driver then it is fine for service. I heard that the cleaning solution is stored in Bedford.

Aictos

Established Member
Hertford not currently used for overnight stabling. WGC is quite compact but also protected by the running line on one side and steep embankments to rear gardens on the other two. If you were going to "sneak in" from either the car park or station, you'd have to pass the shunter and cleaners cabins. Also about 4 driver diagrams stay overnight on units. Probably second most secure yard on GN after Nene Sidings.

Hornsey by comparison is now huge. Numerous entry (and exit) points and gaps in the fence. Plenty of CCTV but doesn't seem to deter them.

When was Hertford last used to stable stock overnight? Do they stable stock during the day?

Hornsey have ran out of the cleaning solution used to remove the graffiti and are currently awaiting more hence why that 387 and a couple 313’s are running around with graffiti. It was always inevitable that the 717’s would get tagged, but until the company invests in security it’ll be a frequent occurrence albeit maybe not at Hertford until the overnight stabling issues are resolved, but all outstable locations should be protected by security.

Granted they have a reason that they're ran out of the cleaning solution however they cannot use that as the sole reason for not removing the criminal damage as they should have ensured they have plenty in stock and not be in a position where they have ran out of the cleaning material and now have to wait for the order to arrive.

That just sounds like bad accounting as the system should be ensuring a order arrives before it runs out and is needed, also why keep the product at Bedford only?

Surely they ought to keep supplies of it at Hornsey with limited supplies at the outlying stabling locations?

They need to hurry up because letting trains run around with entire doors and windows covered up is only going to encourage these wonderful, misunderstood, artists that are simply trying to express themselves through art.*

* how some people see them, rather than criminal scum that are very likely involved in more dodgy activities.

I totally agree, which is why they need to take a firmer stance on anti social behaviour like this and hurry up with it!

Three Bridges say that if the spray paint ain't obscuring the vision of the driver then it is fine for service. I heard that the cleaning solution is stored in Bedford.

Which is a cheap and cheerful approach to take, no wonder more and more units are being attacked I just hope that when they finally get the order in from Timbuktu probably they will actually be a lot more proactive in tackling such anti social behaviour.

H0use

717 signs are up at Hertford North, with posters mentioning the new trains and asking people to be in the front 5 carriages for NCL stations!

jon0844

Veteran Member
717 signs are up at Hertford North, with posters mentioning the new trains and asking people to be in the front 5 carriages for NCL stations!

Yes, it seems the solution to the signal sighting is to have the trains stop further back at more than just two stations.

There's one upside. At the moment, first class at the back of a 700 is declassified and presents a nice place to be. On a 717, people keeping out of the rear coach will make it all the more comfortable for those who won't mind a short walk inside the train to get off!

BlyRF

So wonderful these are progressing with rapid deliveries. Soon we'll have near the full house and lack of depot space lol.

Does anyone have the latest numbers of 717s?

BowesRanger

It would be a lot more wonderful if they were in service rather than in sidings.

But shouldn't be too long now....

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So wonderful these are progressing with rapid deliveries. Soon we'll have near the full house and lack of depot space lol.
Lack of depot space was already a problem, it’s why some 717s were transferred to Cricklewood a couple of weeks back.

jamieP

Hertford not currently used for overnight stabling. WGC is quite compact but also protected by the running line on one side and steep embankments to rear gardens on the other two. If you were going to "sneak in" from either the car park or station, you'd have to pass the shunter and cleaners cabins. Also about 4 driver diagrams stay overnight on units. Probably second most secure yard on GN after Nene Sidings.

Hornsey by comparison is now huge. Numerous entry (and exit) points and gaps in the fence. Plenty of CCTV but doesn't seem to deter them.

I wouldn't say the Nene Sidings is secure. 3 or 4 units got graffitied. Spital Sidings is the more secure yard.

ijmad

Established Member
So what's the latest estimate on when these trains will be brought properly in to customer service?

So what's the latest estimate on when these trains will be brought properly in to customer service?

Previous indications on this thread have been end of this month or early December. I'm impatient for them too! :D But I'm just happy we're getting them soon - got to feel for the GOBLIN passengers with the so close yet forever so far 710s :'(

Aictos

Established Member
I wouldn't say the Nene Sidings is secure. 3 or 4 units got graffitied. Spital Sidings is the more secure yard.

Especially as they can access the yard from the bank leading down to the river so not surprised the Nene isn't as secure as it could be.

How come Spital is more secure though?

jamieP

Especially as they can access the yard from the bank leading down to the river so not surprised the Nene isn't as secure as it could be.

How come Spital is more secure though?

Spital has proper fencing and CCTV.

Aictos

Established Member
Spital has proper fencing and CCTV.

Ahh so one wonders when the Nene amongst others will get upgraded security such as proper fencing and CCTV etc....

Anyway, how's the training coming along for the Class 717 fleet anyone? By this I do mean Fleet, Drivers and Dispatchers.

Fred26

Ahh so one wonders when the Nene amongst others will get upgraded security such as proper fencing and CCTV etc....

Anyway, how's the training coming along for the Class 717 fleet anyone? By this I do mean Fleet, Drivers and Dispatchers.

It's going well, from what I gather. Drivers that already signed 700s are being trained first and I'm told many have already been signed off. Training for dispatchers is also well under way, with a large number complete. Unlike the 700 training, GTR seem to be doing the 717 training properly.

Class315

717004+009 will be moving from Cricklewood to Bedford Jowett Sidings overnight for Graffiti removal.

As Fred states it's progressing well, those drivers whom already sign 700's and will be at the relevant depots where 717 work will be are undertaking the 2 day conversion course, they are the drivers running those empty services in/out of Moorgate to Gordon Hill during the weekday morning/afternoons.

I'll have my conversion after Christmas, which i'm looking forward too.

Aictos

Established Member
It's going well, from what I gather. Drivers that already signed 700s are being trained first and I'm told many have already been signed off. Training for dispatchers is also well under way, with a large number complete. Unlike the 700 training, GTR seem to be doing the 717 training properly.

Wow, that nearly made me choke! So they CAN do something right when they want to!

717004+009 will be moving from Cricklewood to Bedford Jowett Sidings overnight for Graffiti removal.

As Fred states it's progressing well, those drivers whom already sign 700's and will be at the relevant depots where 717 work will be are undertaking the 2 day conversion course, they are the drivers running those empty services in/out of Moorgate to Gordon Hill during the weekday morning/afternoons.

Ahh excellent news all around, what do the drivers think of the 717s vs the 313s? Are there any that will miss the old workhorse that is the Class 313?

Fred26

Wow, that nearly made me choke! So they CAN do something right when they want to!

Ahh excellent news all around, what do the drivers think of the 717s vs the 313s? Are there any that will miss the old workhorse that is the Class 313?

They can, when they want to. They've learnt from the shambles of the 700 dispatcher training, it would seem.

The drivers I've spoken to enjoy driving the 717s, much like the 700s. Apparently the 717s are actually nicer to drive than the 700s though I suppose that comes down to preference. One thing a few have said they'll miss about the 313s is their simplicity. They can be set up and moving very quickly.

Skimble19

Established Member

Some of the runs to Gordon Hill are also being used to train Platform staff as they have a decent amount of time there before they head back to Moorgate, so things can be discussed on the journey, then training carried out once there. There is a proper booklet explaining the trains and the differences from the 700s. It's reassuring to see lessons have definitely been learned.

jamieP

I dont expect it will ever happen.

TRAX

Established Member
They can, when they want to. They've learnt from the shambles of the 700 dispatcher training, it would seem.

The drivers I've spoken to enjoy driving the 717s, much like the 700s. Apparently the 717s are actually nicer to drive than the 700s though I suppose that comes down to preference. One thing a few have said they'll miss about the 313s is their simplicity. They can be set up and moving very quickly.

I wonder what would make them prefer the 717 over the 700, as both are very similar...
I’d imagine if there was a preference it would be for the 700 as it has a full-width cab and a large windscreen...

APUK002

Some of the runs to Gordon Hill are also being used to train Platform staff as they have a decent amount of time there before they head back to Moorgate, so things can be discussed on the journey, then training carried out once there. There is a proper booklet explaining the trains and the differences from the 700s. It's reassuring to see lessons have definitely been learned.
Oo a booklet,any pictures of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.