• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GN Class 717

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred26

I noticed this tonight at Hornsey - it might have been there for ages but tonight was the first time I noticed it. Don't know if t suggests anything imminent?

View attachment 54808

We'll, it suggests that when the 717s enter service the drivers will know where to stop. Nothing more.

In other news, many platform staff have been trained on the new stock, and are continuing to be. As far as I can gather, approximately a third of the staff needing training have had it.
I don't know how the driver training is going, other than that the three test runs daily are being used for that purpose.

There's a booklet being given to platform staff detailing the 717. At the very back it says the trains have provision for toilets to be fitted. I can't see that ever happening.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

APUK002

We'll, it suggests that when the 717s enter service the drivers will know where to stop. Nothing more.

In other news, many platform staff have been trained on the new stock, and are continuing to be. As far as I can gather, approximately a third of the staff needing training have had it.
I don't know how the driver training is going, other than that the three test runs daily are being used for that purpose.

There's a booklet being given to platform staff detailing the 717. At the very back it says the trains have provision for toilets to be fitted. I can't see that ever happening.
Oo new booklet, I thought toilets where a no ever, of course they can retrofit them, as the book states.

Last edited by a moderator:

Class315

I noticed this tonight at Hornsey - it might have been there for ages but tonight was the first time I noticed it. Don't know if t suggests anything imminent?

View attachment 54808

Yes, it’s been there a few weeks IIRC. There are rumours that possibly this month, we might see the introduction of 717’s in service.

A few drivers at the relevant depots that already sign the 700’s are undertaking the 717’s 2 day conversion course.

Aictos

Established Member

Are you getting Class 717 training then?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Yes, it’s been there a few weeks IIRC. There are rumours that possibly this month, we might see the introduction of 717’s in service.

A few drivers at the relevant depots that already sign the 700’s are undertaking the 717’s 2 day conversion course.

End of November or early December. Three diagrams per day apparently.

All based on modifications to allow them into platform 10 and the possible need for SDO at two stations.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Hopefully you do as it be interesting to hear if GN dispatchers prefer the Class 313s to the Class 717s or vice versa to work with....

With some 313 doors taking about an hour to close these days, delaying dispatch, I can't imagine many missing the 313s.

Fred26

End of November or early December. Three diagrams per day apparently.

All based on modifications to allow them into platform 10 and the possible need for SDO at two stations.

Platform 9, you mean, don't you? Platform 10 hasn't been a problem, as far as I know.

Do you know what the three diagrams are? I was thinking they'd be the Gordon Hill peak services.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Oops, yes, platform 9. Couldn't remember which is which (it's the one on the right as you come into the station by train).

Aictos

Established Member
Do you know what the three diagrams are? I was thinking they'd be the Gordon Hill peak services.

These services are more or less self contained aren't they? As to introducing them first on the Hertford Loop it would be nice but they could just as easily be used on these Welwyn GC peak semi fast services until they get diverted via the Core so would be interesting to see what services see them first...

Me being me and being rather bias to the Loop more so then the Welwyn line as it's a much nicer line ;) I'm hoping for them to be introduced on the Loop first!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
717s won't go through the core. They'll only operate the GN inners, ie the WGC and Hertford North/Stevenage to Moorgate services. I'm sure they'll put in the occasional appearance at Kings Cross but not much else.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
717s won't go through the core...
I don’t think that was the suggestion. It seemed to me that the post before yours was saying they could be used on certain services until they [the services] were diverted through the core. But is it necessary in the first place?

Aictos

Established Member
I don’t think that was the suggestion. It seemed to me that the post before yours was saying they could be used on certain services until they [the services] were diverted through the core. But is it necessary in the first place?

Thank you that's exactly what I mean!

sprunt

There's no plan to redirect Moorgate services through the core is there?

Aictos

Established Member
Apologies, I misread your earlier post.

No worries, it's just a possible use for the 717s until such a time that the services are extended though the Core by then they be converted to 700 operation.

The reason I said the 717s could be used is because equally like the Gordon Hill peak extras, you also have the Welwyn GC peak extras so diagrams could be interworked.

There's no plan to redirect Moorgate services through the core is there?

Not at this time, the plan unless it changes is to extend the peak only Welwyn GC semi fast services that currently run between WGC and KGX though the Core using Class 700s.

sprunt

Not at this time, the plan unless it changes is to extend the peak only Welwyn GC semi fast services that currently run between WGC and KGX though the Core using Class 700s.

Okay, but I don't see why the 717s would be used for those rather than for the services they've been bought for. (In other words, get yer filthy hands off our new trains!)

Aictos

Established Member
Okay, but I don't see why the 717s would be used for those rather than for the services they've been bought for. (In other words, get yer filthy hands off our new trains!)

LOL! Ideally they be used just on these services directly replacing Class 313s but I'm sure 313s have been used on the WGC semi fast peak services in the past unless I'm wrong so to bed them in so to speak they could be used on these services.

Personally I can't wait to see nothing but Class 717s at Hertford and would rather see them being given introduced first on the Hertford starters but hey ho we just have to go with what GTR want to do.

Fred26

Once they start coming in I imagine the others will come in at fairly frequent intervals.

Aictos

Established Member
Once they start coming in I imagine the others will come in at fairly frequent intervals.

Indeed and the Class 313 will soon be a distant memory, will anyone miss them though?

bramling

Veteran Member
No worries, it's just a possible use for the 717s until such a time that the services are extended though the Core by then they be converted to 700 operation.

The reason I said the 717s could be used is because equally like the Gordon Hill peak extras, you also have the Welwyn GC peak extras so diagrams could be interworked.

The Welwyn services which will be dreamfully going through to Sevenoaks are already 700s, and interwork with the KX-Cambridge 700s.

There’s no reason why the 717s simply can’t replace the existing 313 diagrams. All 313s run in pairs all day except one single unit diagram, with no attaching or detaching.

bramling

Veteran Member
Indeed and the Class 313 will soon be a distant memory, will anyone miss them though?

I will. I still reckon they’re more comfortable and nicer inside than a 717. I suspect people from certain stations will also miss them if they mean they don’t get a seat when today they do - at the busiest times I guess this means places like Cuffley or Hadley Wood.

Downthelane

I will. I still reckon they’re more comfortable and nicer inside than a 717. I suspect people from certain stations will also miss them if they mean they don’t get a seat when today they do - at the busiest times I guess this means places like Cuffley or Hadley Wood.

Quell surprise! The 313 is a bag of bones to travel on, seats are too high and leg room non existent. Smelly, slow and cramped and 40+ years old.

How on earth can the 717 not be vast and seriously overdue upgrade?

Take a cusion if supreme luxury is required on a short journey to town.

Malcolmffc

Quell surprise! The 313 is a bag of bones to travel on, seats are too high and leg room non existent. Smelly, slow and cramped and 40+ years old.

How on earth can the 717 not be vast and seriously overdue upgrade?

Take a cusion if supreme luxury is required on a short journey to town.

+1

The obsessive nostalgia for clapped out rolling stock that belongs in a museum on this forum never ceases to amaze me.

Peter Sarf

Established Member

View attachment 54808
Gawd. If I remember correctly that "ALL" means both "RLU" and "FLU" ? (Class 700 8-car Reduced Length Units and Class 700 12-car Full Length Units respectively). Now we had to add "717" as in class 717. One day we might simplify the stop signs to just say things like 6 car, 8 car and 12 car etc :rolleyes:. I know coaches nowadays can be different lengths but surely something more logical can be thought of rather than this "evolution". At least in this case surely this is the stop point for ANY length train - or are 387s and 365s expected to stop somewhere different ?.

I get the purpose of the RLU / FLU signs is to ensure the CENTRE of any length class 700, where the disabled loo is, stops in exactly the same place for the raised bit of the platforms. Is there similar for the 717s btw ? - no disabled loo to worry about of course.

Peter Sarf

Established Member

Oh dear perhaps that is the rear cab then o_O. Perhaps someone in DfT thinks the rear cab obviously gets used a lot less and so......:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.