• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GNER allows rovers after all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
GNER have backed down and are now accepting North Country & North East Rovers.

This is possibly because so many people contacted them about this.

This does show that some TOCs do listen to their customers.

GNER recieved a lot of criticism for this, so let's give them credit where it's due. Well done GNER! (And well done people who contacted them).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Z12XE

yorkie said:

Now all people need to do is contact nOne Railway about their silly evening CDR restriction and constant fares increases

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Maybe people should contact virgin and make them accept the West Midlands Day Ranger ;)

But well done GNER for listening to your passengers

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Aureol said:
Don't think they accept Saver Returns at all do they?
If not, that's what they need to do next! :)
It was SuperSavers that were abolished, at the insistence of the then-Tory government at the time of privatisation.

Savers got more and more restrictive, and are now pretty much what SuperSavers used to be (except without that Friday/Summer Saturday restriction). A new Business Saver was introduced, which is now what the Saver used to be. :roll: Prise rises by stealth. :(

voyagerdude220

Established Member
yorkie said:

GNER recieved a lot of criticism for this, so let's give them credit where it's due. Well done GNER! (And well done people who contacted them).

That is a piece of very good news then :D

Well done GNER for listening to your customers' comments, and acting upon them.

Z12XE

No doubt they'll stick another 9% on their unregulated fares in June to make up for it......

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This is great news, and makes the rover far more useable. Well done GNER. :)

On a related customer relations note, don't you just hate it when you are put through to some Asian call centre where nobody has even seen a Voyager. Cheers Virgin! :x

joy54.gen

I don't think people should be congratulating GNER for bringing this back but thinking they should never have refused to accept them in the first place.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
laverack222 said:
This is great news, and makes the rover far more useable. Well done GNER. :)

On a related customer relations note, don't you just hate it when you are put through to some Asian call centre where nobody has even seen a Voyager. Cheers Virgin! :x

:lol: I agree with you there Laverack222, but I now do everything on the VT website, so I can organise my VT 1st fares alot quickly, and alot easily, without having to repeat myself over & over to a stupid person in goodness knows where they are..

TicketMan

yorkie said:

Do you have a link to an official statement on this?

Aureol

Established Member
With a spanner in hand in D212's engine room
yorkie said:
Aureol said:
Don't think they accept Saver Returns at all do they?
If not, that's what they need to do next! :)
It was SuperSavers that were abolished, at the insistence of the then-Tory government at the time of privatisation.

Savers got more and more restrictive, and are now pretty much what SuperSavers used to be (except without that Friday/Summer Saturday restriction). A new Business Saver was introduced, which is now what the Saver used to be. :roll: Prise rises by stealth. :(
Ahh. so I'll not be able to get a GNER York-Donny tomorrow then with the same return ticket? :(

Andy

i don't think that GNER will last till the next franchise and then it will be virgin on the west + east cost mainlines.

Andy

so do i. it would not be good with virgin all over the country, but i still think GNER will not last.

Jordy

Established Member
andy said:
i don't think that GNER will last till the next franchise and then it will be virgin on the west + east cost mainlines.

Oh thats would be simply awful!

Jordy

tramboy

I hope you're wrong. GNER are the last train operating company not to be part of "The Big Three" of transport groups...Stagecoach, National Express or First. Sea Containers are, in my eyes, doing an excellent job...and if the governement did't place so much pressure on them to return money...something we all know railway franchises never do (in theory)...then I would say they were going to last.

And yes, I did ignore Virgin in that list...but 49% of them is Stagecoach.

I'm still saying that they are going to last now...a Virgin liveried 91 is not something I want to see...the maroon/purple (whatever it is...r/g colourblindness stops me working on the railways!) with a red band really suits them.

Regards

Dave

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I might have to agree with that. GNER are doing OK, brilliant considering the pressure on them. Doesn't make me like them though. 91s in Barbie would be interesting...

metrocammel

Is anybody actually sure GNER actually BANNED rangers, as afaik, they never made an official statement, and it could well of been a mistake that was carried forward, like Chinese whispers almost(?) It is just the fact it seems to quick for a "rational" decision to be made by anyone these days, as things usually have to go through months of red tape before the slightest decision can be made?!

Anyway, It is good news- the railways aren't in as bad way as I thought!

James.

AlexS

Established Member
Dave: You missed out of the none Big Three Owned:

Chiltern Railways: M40 Railways
Arriva Trains Wales: Arriva
MerseyRail: Serco
Northern Trains: SercoNed
Southern/South Eastern: GoVia

metrocammel

Hi,

Reading the latest Rail Express, it appears the whole rover situation as reported in the news section of RUK was not entirely true.....

Firstly, on the Home Page, it says the GNER rovers were "reinstated" immediately, on the 2nd January.... however according the article, they weren't officially reinstated by GNER until the 12th January.... after pressure from customers.

SECONDLY, and perhaps more important is that First Transpennine have also BANNED the North Country Rover, however this has not been reported on here?

Rail Express then contacted ATOC, who said it was unregulated, so the TOC can do what they like basically....

It then quotes a "ticket availability expert" and he says "if one or two operators start pulling out, the whole rover system will fall down", which is very bad for many enthusiasts.
It also comments how even though TPE have banned the North Country rover, the price has still gone up... and urges people to complaint to the RPC (or whatever its awful new name is)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'll have to do that then. Can't not have FTPX availability there, it's unfair. Drop the price of the rover, then maybe it would be acceptable. Rising it and dropping a TOC from the list is unacceptable.

Just when things were becoming more positive, especially on my vision and outlook with UK rail, it immediates turns around and becomes worse than it was before, leaving me with less faith in the ability of the UK network than before...

metrocammel

Yes, it is totally ridiculous.... Some people say it is valid unless it says other wise on the ticket... though i beg to differ, as Im sure the validity of the ticket is subject to "terms & conditions", which obviously cant fit on the ticket. Though sourcing the actual "validity" is another challenge.... but as you are adhering to their T & C's, you are still obligied to find them... though lets face it, if the conditions are so hard to find for the passengers (and even enthusiasts), Im sure your average guard will not know either, as It's pretty fair to say that many of your average guards who do it as "just a job", rather than " a passion" know less about tickets, and especially rovers than many enthusiasts....

An example to a extent is (for a barrier ticket check man) : A freind got a job on the barriers at Man Piccadilly. On the "training course" they whizzed through a few kinds of tickets, and where to find validity dates, but they never mentioned a rover. At the end he said to the training person, you've missed a type of ticket, and he produced a rover, the training person didnt know they existed!!!
Another person who I met on the Holyhead 57 on Saturday said he showed an ALR (in a ticket wallet with a YP and a YP photocard) and the guard replied "have you actually got a ticket to travel!?" and when he explained what the ALR was, he just walked on... no apology or anything... now that is poor training is it not?

Status
Not open for further replies.