• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go-Op developments...

Status
Not open for further replies.

saracen43

Just been reading on Wikipedia about the proposed service between Yoevil and Birmingham run by the GO cooperative, which if given the go ahead is due to start in the new December timetable.As it states in the article the prefered rolling stock would be of the push pull variaty, i assume that means loco and DVT. The route proposed would be Westbury, Chippenham, Swindon, Oxford, is it likely that this service is to be given the go ahead, if anyone has any solid info on this matter it would be much appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Just been reading on Wikipedia about the proposed service between Yoevil and Birmingham run by the GO cooperative, which if given the go ahead is due to start in the new December timetable.As it states in the article the prefered rolling stock would be of the push pull variaty, i assume that means loco and DVT. The route proposed would be Westbury, Chippenham, Swindon, Oxford, is it likely that this service is to be given the go ahead, if anyone has any solid info on this matter it would be much appreciated.

I think they have already reduced to Westbury. Their current plans here:

http://www.goco.coop/train/

Oliver

Other Open Access operators are criticised for serving London; they do so for a reason - it's by far the biggest source of railway traffic. Where is GO going to get the money to fund the start up? Grand Central have spent several million to get to their current position, and the W Yorks services are still burning cash. I don't think they'll be starting this December, or the one after that. BTW it's Yeovil - a town on the river Yeo.

Last edited:

MCR247

Established Member
I find GC are criticized far more for it just being an ORCATS raid

Oliver

I find GC are criticized far more for it just being an ORCATS raid
Whether they are criticised or not doesn't really matter. We all loved WSMR but they closed down because they couldn't generate enough revenue. The GO Yeovil - Birmingham service would get some cash from ORCATS, my point is that it's unlikely to be enough, and they are not sitting on enough cash to get started.

Ivo

Established Member
A struggle or not I'm sure I'm not the only one who would want the very best for GOCO. Not least because it would mean not having to travel with CrossCountry between Bristol/Oxford and Birmingham! It will be interesting to see if a co-operative model works for a TOC.

I do hope they succeed, but I have to agree with those who are casting doubts...

Oliver

A struggle or not I'm sure I'm not the only one who would want the very best for GOCO. Not least because it would mean not having to travel with CrossCountry between Bristol/Oxford and Birmingham! It will be interesting to see if a co-operative model works for a TOC.

I do hope they succeed, but I have to agree with those who are casting doubts...

I don't have a philosophical problem with a co-op approach; I just don't see where they are going to get the money to start up, and I doubt the viability of the proposed route. It's a route I would use occasionally if it started from Yeovil Junction, so I wish them luck.

cle

Established Member
Would be good if they could go to Bath, it's badly connected from the Midlands and north. Bristol might be a slight raid, but nobody would go to Birmingham via Oxford and they couldn't terminate at Bath.

They could aim for the Bristol/Bath to Oxford market, as well as Bath/Westbury/Swindon to Brum. Not too shabby...

Ivo

Established Member
Nothing wrong with getting it from Trowbridge. I certainly intend to, especially if it means avoiding Voyagers (and Pacers where applicable :lol:)!

I do agree though, terminating at Bristol TM would be more worthwhile. I don't suppose FGW would be too pleased though, if their primary route is duplicated right through to Didcot (or Swindon, assuming they use the west curve at Didcot); having said that, who cares? Could it theoretically start at Bristol and head down to Westbury, and then reverse - or is that too much of a hoo-hah to justify?

The Planner

Veteran Member
We'll soon see, the capacity request deadline is in a couple of weeks for the Dec 11 timetable so if they have come up with plans for paths they will be known then.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I thought they were going to use some refurbished mk3's - loco hauled. As long as it's not a pacer...

BestWestern

Established Member
With the very greatest of respect to those involved, they are talking absolute b*ll*cks! How on earth does an obscure little public interest group think that they will secure and fund brand new trains to run a secondary service when proper rail franchise operators can't manage it for frontline routes? This is a very nice paper project for someone and I'm sure will generate lots of interest in the railways in general, which is a good thing, but it'll never see the light of day; just not viable, just not needed. Leave it the professionals!

WatcherZero

Established Member
Light weight rail, the same strategy used on the Stourbridge line where London Midland subcontracts to a smaller company to operate the service.

WatcherZero

Established Member
April 8th update says Mid Hants trial is back on for the end of the year, the PPM apparantly suffered electrical damage during transport for the trial and when they tried to start it a Hydrostatic pump suffered a catastrophic failure requiring more than a month to repair.

judethegreat

With the very greatest of respect to those involved, they are talking absolute b*ll*cks! How on earth does an obscure little public interest group think that they will secure and fund brand new trains to run a secondary service when proper rail franchise operators can't manage it for frontline routes? This is a very nice paper project for someone and I'm sure will generate lots of interest in the railways in general, which is a good thing, but it'll never see the light of day; just not viable, just not needed. Leave it the professionals!

The normal companies COULD do it, but they have profit margins. This is a cooperative, therefore presumably no profit margins (I stand to be corrected).
By the way, hello, my first post :)

Oliver

The normal companies COULD do it, but they have profit margins. This is a cooperative, therefore presumably no profit margins (I stand to be corrected).
By the way, hello, my first post :)

It's not about future profits, it's about having enough cash in the bank to fund the service at a loss for at least the first couple of years. I would love to be proved wrong, but I don't think this co-op has that kind of funding at its disposal. The other problem is that it doesn't serve London which, like it or not, is where the big demand for rail travel emanates from (and to).

judethegreat

It's not about future profits, it's about having enough cash in the bank to fund the service at a loss for at least the first couple of years. I would love to be proved wrong, but I don't think this co-op has that kind of funding at its disposal. The other problem is that it doesn't serve London which, like it or not, is where the big demand for rail travel emanates from (and to).
Fair point.

anthony263

Established Member

It would be nice to see if this comes off, but they would need some backers with deep pockets.

Then again, you also have the okehampton - Exeter St Davids - St James park service which it is hoped to start soon. I wonder how that will come on?

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Yep, they were looking at Mk2 rakes, with 50's or 37's to start, infact even earlier than that they were looking at 57's and DBSO....

Would be good to see some of the older stock making a return, especially class 37's - was too young to go on them or even remember then

The Planner

Veteran Member
Not a sausage on the bidding for paths front though and Dec 11 is offered in May so unless they are looking for a mid-timetable start in 2012 I can't see it happening any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.