• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

s'land

could any of the GC people let me know if you still have the first class coach declassified, as i'm (well 6 of us are) travelling down to KGX on saturday morning (20th), may as well travel in first class comfort than in second class (as good as that is on GC) :)

Every time i've travelled with GC they have been excellent, while i haven't enjoyed NXEC so much as it's all to cramped !!! :cry:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andylloyd

could any of the GC people let me know if you still have the first class coach declassified, as i'm (well 6 of us are) travelling down to KGX on saturday morning (20th), may as well travel in first class comfort than in second class (as good as that is on GC) :)

Every time i've travelled with GC they have been excellent, while i haven't enjoyed NXEC so much as it's all to cramped !!! :cry:
That was running on the ECS back to Heaton late this afternoon.
It would then form the evening service back to the cross......

spoony

Roker Park, Sunderland. Next to the Stadium of Lig

Totally agree, Im going to Hull on Saturday and unfortunately will have to go to Newcastle to pick up a NXEC to York. Would much rather get a GC but they leave Sunderland a bit too early for my liking 0653:lol:. Just as an aside, if I get them back to Sunderland from York, would a ticket to Newcastle be valid on GC as there is a chance I will be back at York in time to get the 1848:)

andylloyd

Totally agree, Im going to Hull on Saturday and unfortunately will have to go to Newcastle to pick up a NXEC to York. Would much rather get a GC but they leave Sunderland a bit too early for my liking 0653:lol:. Just as an aside, if I get them back to Sunderland from York, would a ticket to Newcastle be valid on GC as there is a chance I will be back at York in time to get the 1848:)
I dont think so.
Please can someone clarify ;)

BOSCH

Just as an aside, if I get them back to Sunderland from York, would a ticket to Newcastle be valid on GC as there is a chance I will be back at York in time to get the 1848:)

If you ask nicely and behave yourself young man then I dont see why not !! :lol::lol::lol:;)

BOSCH

:lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Cheers, Ill shall give it ago. I have a feeling that that train might be a lot fuller than usual :lol:

Pity you'll be drowning your sorrows though !!!! :lol::lol::lol:;)

s'land

regarding the first class coach, I was in sunderland (17th) and the declassified coach was on the 17.30 KGX towards the rear of the train, so with a bit of luck it'll be on the set on saturday morning:D:D:D
i see the 4th service got a mention on the regional bbc ceefax service today

Sir_Clagalot

Yep, and for those of you who have been watching the date will have realised that it has been ONE year since 1A60 first ventured into KGX with paying passengers on!

andylloyd

Yep, and for those of you who have been watching the date will have realised that it has been ONE year since 1A60 first ventured into KGX with paying passengers on!
What a year it has been to given the good times and the bad times ;)
At long last the service has settled down with the stock.
On-board staff including drivers(you know who you are) are excellent.
Long may the service continue and prosper.
Merry Christmas and a very Happy Prosperous New year to you all.
I look forward to travelling with you friendly folks more next year.....
Cheers
Andy

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Congratulations to all involved in getting GC through its first year. It seems so crazy to think it's been a year already!

One HST crank here desperate for a GC spin ASAP in 2009!

Darandio

Established Member
In reference to the video:-

Philip Haigh - Rail Magazine - "They're still taking up space on the mainline up to London"

Don't mean to be picky but why should he have to say that? I know he was referencing to NXEC thoughts but come on.

Personally, I really hope for more expansion. I would dearly love to see an HST return to Middlesbrough for a daily service and I reckon it would get a pretty good following as well judging by the amount of people I generally see getting the FTPE on to York bound for London.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
But that's the thing with Middlesbrough, it's a simple change off TPX at York every hour so perhaps not the best place to use resources. As a HST crank though, I'd love it.

Not that I have any sensible ideas for where GC could expand to, but I'd love to see Cleethorpes have a direct HST service to London again!

Darandio

Established Member
But that's the thing with Middlesbrough, it's a simple change off TPX at York every hour so perhaps not the best place to use resources. As a HST crank though, I'd love it.

Not that I have any sensible ideas for where GC could expand to, but I'd love to see Cleethorpes have a direct HST service to London again!

But on that note, starting the Sunderland service wouldn't have seemed a great idea, especially with a frequent Metro service to Newcastle.

spoony

But on that note, starting the Sunderland service wouldn't have seemed a great idea, especially with a frequent Metro service to Newcastle.

A lot of people in Sunderland resented having to go up the country 10 miles to then come back down it. Plus if you live in suburbs of Sunderland and get the bus to the Metro you can be looking at an hour by the time you have even reached Newcastle.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Then there's giving Hartlepool direct services to the ECML/South and increasing the service level between Sunderland and Hartlepool to Eaglescliffe, Yarm and such like.

Looking at the posts on this thread though, it would appear that GC have become quite popular with passengers on that route, so definately wise going there.

Personally, looking at it purely from an enthusiast POV, GC serving Liverpool to Norwich (in addition to the current services) on a fast service (none of this poncy little shacks-calling necessary ta!) with HSTs would be great. Obviously I can't see this happening, but a nice fast run from Liverpool calling only at Manchester Piccadilly, Chesterfield, Nottingham, Peterborough and Thetford with a pair of Valentas on proper seats, mmmmmmmmmmmm!

*Wakes up and awaits further reporting on another thread of stupidly high PIXC figures on the same route*

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Back to the earlier topic in the thread, there was still a TFO at the north end today on the 1127 ex-KGX when I passed it while on the way to the Smoke on business today... passed the incoming afternoon service on the way home too but couldnt quite tell if it had a declassified TFO as well...

Hoping for one on Monday when I make my overdue return to GC!

BOSCH

With regards to what mr haigh of rail magazine says,WE DONT CARE !! we dont care what anyone says !! We have proved a lot of people wrong(and you know who you are you nxec/firstgroup poodles).We aim to build on what we have started so watch this space !!! <D<D<D
Got my tickets for York - Newcastle today and I asked in the ticket office if they were vaild on GC to Sunderland and was informed yes. So I will probably be on that tomorrow if I can get away from Hull in good time:)

Spoony,have a good day,wont be on it myself,2 days R&R !!!:lol::lol:

spoony

With regards to what mr haigh of rail magazine says,WE DONT CARE !! we dont care what anyone says !! We have proved a lot of people wrong(and you know who you are you nxec/firstgroup poodles).We aim to build on what we have started so watch this space !!! <D<D<D

Spoony,have a good day,wont be on it myself,2 days R&R !!!:lol::lol:

Cheers, didnt realise you were one of the GC crew. We were in York a couple of weeks back and the girlfriend spied the GC offices there and tried to get me to walk in and ask for a job. :lol::lol:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I will be making a GC trip on Monday 29th, can't wait! I'm taking the last train off Sunderland to get home from a day out in Newcastle.

Got my tickets for York - Newcastle today and I asked in the ticket office if they were vaild on GC to Sunderland and was informed yes. So I will probably be on that tomorrow if I can get away from Hull in good time:)

What brings you to this fine city then Spoony?

spoony

I will be making a GC trip on Monday 29th, can't wait! I'm taking the last train off Sunderland to get home from a day out in Newcastle.

What brings you to this fine city then Spoony?

Hull City vs Sunderland AFC tomorrow :), pity there are no suitable GCs to York tomorrow though and I have to go through to Newcastle. A fleeting visit, hope to arrive by 12ish then hopefully on the 1720(ish) back to York!

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hull City vs Sunderland AFC tomorrow :), pity there are no suitable GCs to York tomorrow though and I have to go through to Newcastle. A fleeting visit, hope to arrive by 12ish then hopefully on the 1720(ish) back to York!

I know who I want to win ;)! Hope you have time to check out some of the city, it's a really nice place and there are some hidden gems. The quickest way from the city centre to the ground is through the St Stephen's shopping centre, right along Park Street then immediately left down Londesborough Street to the end, then across the bridge to the stadium, about a 15-20 minute walk.

spoony

I know who I want to win ;)! Hope you have time to check out some of the city, it's a really nice place and there are some hidden gems. The quickest way from the city centre to the ground is through the St Stephen's shopping centre, right along Park Street then immediately left down Londesborough Street to the end, then across the bridge to the stadium, about a 15-20 minute walk.

I hope Sunderland win as well;) Really looking forward to seeing Hull and travelling on some new lines for me. I am really suprised about how irregular the connections from York are though. National rail website say to change at Leeds, Micklefield, Selby, Doncaster, God knows where etc. I honestly thought it would be a bit easier than it is:-x Getting back maybe a bit of a challenge after a few ales, god knows where Ill end up:lol:

mealybar

Declassified first class is on the Sunderland end of the SUN-KGX this morning (sat in it :D now).

There's two coach B's on this set, one relabeled 'C'. Its a no go though, wifi doesnt work :D (I had seat reserved in it).

djw1981

Established Member
Personally, looking at it purely from an enthusiast POV, GC serving Liverpool to Norwich (in addition to the current services) on a fast service (none of this poncy little shacks-calling necessary ta!) with HSTs would be great. Obviously I can't see this happening, but a nice fast run from Liverpool calling only at Manchester Piccadilly, Chesterfield, Nottingham, Peterborough and Thetford with a pair of Valentas on proper seats, mmmmmmmmmmmm!

*Wakes up and awaits further reporting on another thread of stupidly high PIXC figures on the same route*
I think ORR might just knock that one back, mind by 2012, there may be some spare HSTs, and by 2015 lots! We may see them being cascaded, and the challenger fleet may be a reality, or even cl43 one end and a DVT or DBSO the other?

*I may also have been dreaming*

Status
Not open for further replies.