• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Aye, which was the unfortunate situation with a certain power car when I was last on GC. Hope they've got her fixed as I don't remember the performance she put in when I saw her once working with Virgin but can imagine she'd have clagged and screamed the place out.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
So I've said hi to BOSCH in Sunderland station, without having any idea who he was or introducing myself. Apologies mate :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've had a handshake from the good Sir, and perhaps his not waving is for a reason. No idea personally, but he seems a top bloke from my brief meeting with him.

Darandio

Established Member
A big thank you again today to the staff of GC for another cracking journey. I did the 12:30 Sunderland - Northallerton then the 14:09 return leg. BOSCH, I am pretty sure I saw you today, first, bringing the set in to Sunderland for departure then I am am pretty sure I saw you again at Sunderland once we had returned, something was dropped in the gap between platform and powercar, does that ring a bell? I also read about you in the company magazine, you are becoming famous!

spoony

Roker Park, Sunderland. Next to the Stadium of Lig
A big thank you again today to the staff of GC for another cracking journey. I did the 12:30 Sunderland - Northallerton then the 14:09 return leg. BOSCH, I am pretty sure I saw you today, first, bringing the set in to Sunderland for departure then I am am pretty sure I saw you again at Sunderland once we had returned, something was dropped in the gap between platform and powercar, does that ring a bell? I also read about you in the company magazine, you are becoming famous!

I nearly got that train, you didnt happen to be the lad at the rear with his daughter did you? I was going to go to the NRM, but instead went to Newcastle to see Tornado.

Darandio

Established Member
I nearly got that train, you didnt happen to be the lad at the rear with his daughter did you? I was going to go to the NRM, but instead went to Newcastle to see Tornado.

Yep, that was me, nearest table seats to the rear. You may have also seen me struggling to open the door nearest to the powercar, it didn't work!

Darandio

Established Member
I saw haha. Seems its a small world. I came over and looked at the train and watched it pull off. I nearly got on. I was undecided as to what I was doing until about 12.29:lol:

Funny that, I wasn't even intending to be there, original plan was a trip to Newcastle, get the TPE back to Northallerton to see the Tornado come through at speed then catch the GC back to Sunderland, with a trip across to see the Tornado depart at 16:34 but the TPE had been caped northbound. So, a quick hop on the metro was decided to do a return journey on GC. I still got back in time to see the Tornado though so all was good.

spoony

Roker Park, Sunderland. Next to the Stadium of Lig
Funny that, I wasn't even intending to be there, original plan was a trip to Newcastle, get the TPE back to Northallerton to see the Tornado come through at speed then catch the GC back to Sunderland, with a trip across to see the Tornado depart at 16:34 but the TPE had been caped northbound. So, a quick hop on the metro was decided to do a return journey on GC. I still got back in time to see the Tornado though so all was good.

Im pleased you saw it. I had intended to see it at York and tie in with GC away day trip. I ended up getting the 12.28 Sunderland to MetroCentre, then the 13.15 MetroCentre back. We pulled in along side the Tornado, impressive machine and a decent crowd to see it too. Two lasses sat in front of me were commenting on the fuss about a "machine thats spits out steam":lol:

Sir_Clagalot

Two lasses sat in front of me were commenting on the fuss about a "machine thats spits out steam":lol:
Ah, the Great Unwashed!! (read into that what you like! either non enthusiasts, or a couple of local lassies!)

Yeay, Page 100!!

Last edited:

BOSCH

You probably saw me at sunderland as 1N26 arrived,myself and my minder(He dropped his lamp) were on lodge last nite so we take it to heaton for fuel and water and come back as 1A63 from s'land(1730 dep).Had a good run both last night and today with 1N25 !! ;)

Established Member
off note i just wanna say i cabbed 43080 at kings cross, nice to see GC treat there drivers to a nice leather seat and of corse a hellfire Valenta to listen to

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I know the feeling, the leather settee we have here at home has the same undesirable effect in summer!:lol:

Might as well bring it up here, since I've just remembered:

During a couple of weekends in March, GC are diverting to Cambridge due to engineering works. Now for a HST ned like myself desperate for a Valenta fix, this allows for some winner track on HSTs and of course some right royally lovely vocals from 43084+065*! Thing is, there's no GC Only fares to/from York and Cambridge showing on the system (unsurprisingly). So my question is:

Is there even the tiniest iota of chance GC will do some GC Only fares to/from Cambridge on these diversions? Or even Advance fares? York to Cambridge is rather expensive on NR tickets (£44.50 or so with a Y-P for a York to Cambridge Off-Peak Return), so any chance of GC only tickets would be very much appreciated not just by myself but plenty of others to avoid the NXEC ching and replacement buses.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Kind regards,

Julian

* = That would be my ideal pair, as they're both required for haulage here ;)

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Is there even the tiniest iota of chance GC will do some GC Only fares to/from Cambridge on these diversions? Or even Advance fares? York to Cambridge is rather expensive on NR tickets (£44.50 or so with a Y-P for a York to Cambridge Off-Peak Return), so any chance of GC only tickets would be very much appreciated not just by myself but plenty of others to avoid the NXEC ching and replacement buses.

I'm certain they couldn't as this would count as revenue extraction York and Peterborough to Cambridge from NXEC and XC, and Cambridge to London from FCC and NXEA.

I didn't realise they were on diverts last time they came via Cambridge and the first I knew was a gleaming black HST passing my mate's flat where I was for Sunday lunch... I nearly spat my large glass of good red all over his kitchen as I yelped "Grand Central, what the hell is that doing here!!" :lol:

This time I'll try and get out to see them and hopefully get some reasonable photos on the Great Northern, cheers for the heads-up.

BOSCH

I know the feeling, the leather settee we have here at home has the same undesirable effect in summer!:lol:

Might as well bring it up here, since I've just remembered:

During a couple of weekends in March, GC are diverting to Cambridge due to engineering works. Now for a HST ned like myself desperate for a Valenta fix, this allows for some winner track on HSTs and of course some right royally lovely vocals from 43084+065*! Thing is, there's no GC Only fares to/from York and Cambridge showing on the system (unsurprisingly). So my question is:

Thanks in advance for any information.

Kind regards,

Julian

* = That would be my ideal pair, as they're both required for haulage here ;)

Dont think that will happen,from what Ive heard,GC tickets will be passed on nxea to Liverpool St along with Hulll trains pax !! The original plan was for a few GC drivers to learn cambridge to liverpool street but that was shelved unfortunately,I know 1 or 2 were looking forward to this but the idea was scrapped,c'est la vie !!!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Believe it's on the weekends of 14/15 and 21/22 March only.

Good point about fare extraction there, looks like I'll have to pay out the major ching :(

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Dont think that will happen,from what Ive heard,GC tickets will be passed on nxea to Liverpool St along with Hulll trains pax !! The original plan was for a few GC drivers to learn cambridge to liverpool street but that was shelved unfortunately,I know 1 or 2 were looking forward to this but the idea was scrapped,c'est la vie !!!

So to clarify, are they actually terminating at Cambridge then?

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Ta for the update BOSCH. I'll bet you (and I would be!) were looking forward to learning the road to Liverpool Street. Such a shame it won't happen. One day perhaps...

So one would not be able to turn up at York and buy a GC return to London for the onward connection at Cambridge or owt either?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So to clarify, are they actually terminating at Cambridge then?

NXEC's Mixing Deck said so in January :(

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yep, just looked, still does. The NXEC alternative is train to Huntingdon, bus to Hatfield, FCC connection to London. I know which I'd prefer!

Grr, I was hoping they'd run through via Cambridge as suggested elsewhere some time ago.

Might have to give up any hope of going out this weekend after all :(

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Grr, I was hoping they'd run through via Cambridge as suggested elsewhere some time ago.

Might have to give up any hope of going out this weekend after all :(

Sounds like it, Huntingdon to Hatfield (hence Hitchin) means the GN will also be cut off from Kings Cross.

That must also mean FCC are Letchworth-Cambridge/Kings Lynn only, if that, which will be annoying, I'm going to Stevenage v Cambridge that day (unless Stevenage make the FA Trophy semis that is!) ... anyway I digress!! :lol:

EDIT: Post #1500!

Status
Not open for further replies.