• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow, this has to be the longest single thread in the history of the forum!

Still frothing and spinning myself over the best way to do these diversions, one thing is for sure: I'm flagging The Cwm and Go!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
Wow, this has to be the longest single thread in the history of the forum!
Did you mean in National Rail Forums? Cos if you meant the whole of RailUK then what about One Word Story?

spoony

Roker Park, Sunderland. Next to the Stadium of Lig
I was in Sunderland today for the 12.30 Northern service to the Metro Centre. The GC service came in from the south and seemed to cross over to platform 2. Anyone know where they hide it? Im sure I saw it cross over from the South Hylton line but I dont think that can be right as I cant see Nexus allowing thwm to store a set on their lines.:o Also on Tuesday I was on a Metro at about 12.15 and saw the GC set waiting at Pelaw. Do they just have to keep the set stored on any available space or is it more planned than that?:lol:

william

Established Member
There are some sidings to the south of the station, curving alongside the south hylton alignment. These have been there prior to the construction of the metro exrtension, so maybe network rail managed? Perhaps it was turning around? freeing up capacity in the station itself?

Royston Vasey

Established Member
There are some sidings to the south of the station, curving alongside the south hylton alignment. These have been there prior to the construction of the metro exrtension, so maybe network rail managed? Perhaps it was turning around? freeing up capacity in the station itself?

They're pretty short, nowhere near enough for the HST. There is a siding at Ryhope IIRC a mile or two south which may be long enough. There is also a siding at East Boldon but I don't know if GC ever use it. Think Pelaw is standard practice unless short on time.

william

Established Member
Yes youre right! The station sidings are short, but then so are GC HST sets, so wasn't sure. Now you mention it I m sure ive seen a set on Ryhope sidings on my way into Sunderland one day along the new road which runs parallel. These sidings used to always hold MGR's in the 80's-90's when the pits were open along with the Hawthorn merrygoround branch between ryhope junction and Dawdon.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm sure someone mentioned on this thread many moons ago the ECS off 1N25 goes to Pelaw to reverse before returning to Sunderland for the 1230 SUN - KGX. Since I'm too lazy to look for my timetable, I can't tell what the next Down working is but that one goes to Heaton as it has more time before returning to work the 1730 SUN - KGX.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Did you mean in National Rail Forums? Cos if you meant the whole of RailUK then what about One Word Story?

Well yes, I don't bother with those threads myself. So yeah, aside from the word games threads, I'd say this thread qualifies as the longest running thread in the history of the forum. Certainly the longest runner that's stayed relatively on-topic throughout!:o

william

Established Member
I'm sure someone mentioned on this thread many moons ago the ECS off 1N25 goes to Pelaw to reverse before returning to Sunderland for the 1230 SUN - KGX. Since I'm too lazy to look for my timetable, I can't tell what the next Down working is but that one goes to Heaton as it has more time before returning to work the 1730 SUN - KGX.
Yes, youre right, but this doen't help to explain what spoony witnessed. This is what we are trying to soilve at mo....keep on the ball techniquest.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Oh I am SO sorry for clarifying the situation. What spoony has reported I do not know the reason for, perhaps you'd care for one to spout off a load of froth and speculation over why this happened instead?

I swear, the kids of today have no manners whatsoever...:roll:

EDIT: Re-reading spoony's post it is difficult to say exactly what was going on, but it could have been sent into platform 2 for a swift turnaround due to a delay on the inbound journey.

Or it could have done a trip to Park Lane from Sunderland vice Tyne and Wear Metro before returning south...

spoony

Oh I am SO sorry for clarifying the situation. What spoony has reported I do not know the reason for, perhaps you'd care for one to spout off a load of froth and speculation over why this happened instead?

I swear, the kids of today have no manners whatsoever...:roll:

EDIT: Re-reading spoony's post it is difficult to say exactly what was going on, but it could have been sent into platform 2 for a swift turnaround due to a delay on the inbound journey.

Or it could have done a trip to Park Lane from Sunderland vice Tyne and Wear Metro before returning south...

Thats what I thought had happened, especially as the next metro terminated at Park Lane. When they do that they cross over to the northbound platform ready for the journey back making a space available on the southbound. I suppose its possible it could have done that but somehow I cant see it being allowed. Not sure of the technicalities of it all but if it did go onto Metro lines would it not be breaking rules of some sort? Imagine going into Park Lane and finiding a HST there:lol:

william

Established Member
I aint a kid techniquest but it's ok looks like you've cottoned on.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thats what I thought had happened, especially as the next metro terminated at Park Lane. When they do that they cross over to the northbound platform ready for the journey back making a space available on the southbound. I suppose its possible it could have done that but somehow I cant see it being allowed. Not sure of the technicalities of it all but if it did go onto Metro lines would it not be breaking rules of some sort? Imagine going into Park Lane and finiding a HST there:lol:

I can imagine turning up and expecting some rancid Metro trash and getting the delight of a GC HST instead! Working of the year it would be for sure!

And before anyone asks, I wasn't being serious earlier when I said it might have done that!

william: Whether you are or not a kid, I took offence to your comment 'keep on the ball'. Please bear such possibilities in mind for future postings.

spoony

I can imagine turning up and expecting some rancid Metro trash and getting the delight of a GC HST instead! Working of the year it would be for sure!

And before anyone asks, I wasn't being serious earlier when I said it might have done that!

william: Whether you are or not a kid, I took offence to your comment 'keep on the ball'. Please bear such possibilities in mind for future postings.

Hey, I have to suffer that rancid Metro trash each day on the way to work:cry::lol: I note some people moan on about NXEC liverys, but try getting on that yellow crap each day of your life:lol:

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Park Lane is on a pretty tight bend, I don't know if Mk 3s would make it, and I'm sure they won't have been tested before. It is NR managed though as pointed out, if they chose to send anything up there. I think with very tight turnarounds (15 minutes, say) they may be able to send it down and turn it round on the line itself. Guessing though.

william

Established Member

As could have I to your subsequent comment.

Look, I'm sorry you took offence but you did seem to be missing the point.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
R.V. Guessing though

Yeah, believe me, theres alot of that going on.

Last edited:

Darandio

Established Member
Hey, I have to suffer that rancid Metro trash each day on the way to work:cry::lol: I note some people moan on about NXEC liverys, but try getting on that yellow crap each day of your life:lol:

What is tha matter with them!!!!!!!!! neeerrrrr, doors closing, get shaken about for 3 minutes, nerrrr, doors closing, shaken again, fillings bouncing out of your mouth.

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Tried it on the 17th of January 2009 on three seperate leaps (Sunderland to St. Peter's, St. Peter's to Stadium of Light and Stadium of Light to Heworth). That was more than enough for me and the mere thought of having to travel on them again in the future induces vomit...

So I feel sorry for you having to put up with it!

william: I only said that in reaction to what you said to me. I merely clarified what someone else had asked, I didn't realise there was a RailUK Forum Crier who comes out with a bell to indicate which posts were being discussed and when. Nor that nominations and voting for the RailUK Forum Crier had already been held...

william

Established Member
D What is tha matter with them!!!!!!!!! neeerrrrr, doors closing, get shaken about for 3 minutes, nerrrr, doors closing, shaken again, fillings bouncing out of your mouth.
lol

T william: I only said that in reaction to what you said to me.

Yeah, I know.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Park Lane is on a pretty tight bend, I don't know if Mk 3s would make it, and I'm sure they won't have been tested before. It is NR managed though as pointed out, if they chose to send anything up there. I think with very tight turnarounds (15 minutes, say) they may be able to send it down and turn it round on the line itself. Guessing though.

When i wrote this I was being hen-pecked and wasn't concentrating! What I meant was:

Park Lane to South Hylton is NR managed so if they decided to send heavy trains down there they could (i.e. Nexus couldn't stop them) but I can't imagine a HST would have been tested and doubt that Mk3s would make it! I guess 66s may have been used down there during building?

They may be able to send it down the tunnel towards Hartlepool, reverse and bring it into the opposite platform, maybe this was what you saw Spoony?

My dad has definitely mentioned seeing the HST in the siding towards Ryhope while driving down Ryhope Road near to a 1230 departure.

Oh and re Metro trains... is there anyone else who can't stand the stale smell of them??

Sir_Clagalot

Went to Ryhope. I was there when it arrived at 1150(ish, them damn metros are always running late!). It was checky central down there. Went behind one and he was about to stop me then he saw the uniform!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sure looks good (I refer to Ms Jolie of course ;))

Like the shot of a GU liveried 180 at Bath Spa! ;):lol:

However, I'm mighty curious about one thing that popped into view as I browse the .pdf version of the GC magazine, which I quote below:

SUNDERLAND
Stadium of Light​
Further work on-going including
evaluating the commercial case. No early
decision will be made on this proposal.

What's that about then? The other proposed routes sound interesting too, shame any of them will be 180-served!

spoony

However, I'm mighty curious about one thing that popped into view as I browse the .pdf version of the GC magazine, which I quote below:

SUNDERLAND
Stadium of Light​

What's that about then? The other proposed routes sound interesting too, shame any of them will be 180-served!

I read in their magazine a few month back that they were looking into running HST services to Stadium of Light metro stations on home matchdays. Personally cannot see it working as Sunderland traditionally does not draw support from past Hartlepool (Your into Boro territory there, and besides our support tends to come more from Durham). It may work for away fans travelling from London though.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I read in their magazine a few month back that they were looking into running HST services to Stadium of Light metro stations on home matchdays. Personally cannot see it working as Sunderland traditionally does not draw support from past Hartlepool (Your into Boro territory there, and besides our support tends to come more from Durham). It may work for away fans travelling from London though.

Sounds a good idea, given the numbers at the SoL.

I know it's not a long walk from town to the ground, but if it encourages more away supporters to use public transport then that has to be a good thing.

They could maybe even advertise it to Sunderland fans heading down south for away games - if Sheffield Wednesday players travelled by train for a game down at Crystal Palace earlier this season then why not run a Sunderland service? ;) Bring back the FootEx!

Royston Vasey

Established Member

SUNDERLAND
Stadium of Light​

I recall some discussion of this a while ago, either in this thread or the equivalent on East Coast Chat, and I thought it was due to there being a car park at SOL station so a better place to start services generally. At the time I recall thinking it unlikely due to platform lengthening required and the fact it isn't a National Rail station...

Edit: re football, the 4th service northbound will be ideally timed for Sunderland's London away games (5 per season) not to mention those of the smaller clubs York/Hartlepool/Boro/Newcastle...

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Thanks for that, I looked at it and immediately thought of how massive that would be, a HST calling at a Metro shack!

I would say a lot of people used 1N25 on the 17th of January 2009 to get to the game, more accurately the pubs first. Certainly the 1321 off Hartlepool (1300 off Middlesbrough?) was rammed and got worse at Seaham. I too stepped off at Sunderland to do a Metro leap to St. Peter's, and there were massive crowds on the streets! I reckon if this ever happened this would be well supported.

spoony

I recall some discussion of this a while ago, either in this thread or the equivalent on East Coast Chat, and I thought it was due to there being a car park at SOL station so a better place to start services generally. At the time I recall thinking it unlikely due to platform lengthening required and the fact it isn't a National Rail station...

Edit: re football, the 4th service northbound will be ideally timed for Sunderland's London away games (5 per season) not to mention those of the smaller clubs York/Hartlepool/Boro/Newcastle...

Totally agree:lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.